Monsterboard

Simerock 2012 , 10.-11. August (10-year-anniversary gig) FIN

Discussion about gigs

Moderators: Hemitys, psyanide, Nightmare Wings Hell

Re: Simerock 2012 , 10.-11. August (10-year-anniversary gig)

Postby Mr. anonymous » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:43 pm

Well axially it was one big disappointment. Amen said on twitter that it would be a show you would never miss and that it would be so great. So I specially saved up some money to go to Finland and paid some very expensive tickets because I didn’t wanted to miss the anniversary gig but at the end It turned out to be a mess of a show. They started already with a lot of delay (Which was very annoying because I was so damn hard excited for “the Lordi show of the year”.) and the stage was “dressed up” very very messy with all parts randomly placed on stage.

When the gig finally began they plaid the Scartic Circle Gathering (1) intro tape (which was very good to start an anniversary gig) BUT after that they plaid “Bringing Back The Balls To Rock” WTF!? You should expect they would start with the good old starter song “Get Heavy” or with “Babez for Breakfast”, but no they specifically had to play BBTBTR. And it isn’t already the first time they plaid BBTBTR as a starter song IN THE BABEZ ERA. Since Otus died they never plaid “Babez” as an intro again! Why are they doing this? It was the “Babez For Breakfast tour” and not the “Bringing Back the Balls to … tour”. That’s very stupid it doesn’t fit the atmosphere of the ara. Honestly I have nothing against BBTBTR I love that song it’s a killer but please don’t play it to start a gig, play the normal starter song of that specific era.

Secondly there where a lot of technical difficulties. At first you try not to mind on it but at some point after a while it really starts to become annoying. For example the sound that Mr. L was singing at that moment was being repeated constantly, also there were problems with the backing tracks like in “Rock Police” for example. And I have no doubt that there were also problems with Amens guitar because he played false at some points which resulted in some screwed solo’s like “Babez” for ex (which isn’t Amens foult ofcourse).

From the musical side of view Lordi isn’t that good as they used to be anymore. The drummer started BBTBTR too early, didn’t used the cowbell in the pre chorus of “Nonstop Nite” he used too much cymbals in the intro of “Get Heavy” instead of using the cowbell (maybe he just hates it lol :P). He used his cymbals too late at the intro of “It Snows in Hell”, fucked up the inro of “Blood Red Sandman” with his wreckless drum fills which took way to long and when they finally plaid Babez for breakfast they were all off timed, the drummer's kept on using his double kick, didn’t sped it up in the chorus and tried so damn hard to do spectacular fills which resulted in throwing whole the bend off tempo. For what I see he just wants to imitate Otus with the double bass and fills but that level is to high for him. Serious that drummer really need to do some more practicing and Lordi NEEDS to do more rehearsals with that guy. I know he is a newbie but start gigging with him in Lordi was way to early, they should have waited a bit more. I really keep my fingers crossed for the next album and the feature of Lordi because at this point they sound like a bunch of young teen punks trying to play music without a strong base. It’s clear that that guy isn’t the right successor of Otus. Maybe the band just took the cheapest guy they could find who knows? And don’t say that I’m an Otus fan because I love Kita and Otus BOTH damn hard as well. I just give my own criticized opinion.

Also the end of the gig was a disappointment I really expected some ex - members to see on stage or something special but the only thing I saw where the guys of Kuorosota which also fucked up the gorgeous “Would You Love A Monsterman?” anthem. What’s wrong with Lordi though -__-‘’. The set- list was kinda casual/usual instead of some special (bonus) (get heavy) songs. I just had the feeling of viewing a normal Lordi gig instead of a special anniversary gig. I really expected way more. But then afterwards the TOOOONS of pyro’s(which were very cool) and the nice trip to Rovaniemi made it very good.
Mr. anonymous
Last edited by Mr. anonymous on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. anonymous

Postby Isa » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:04 pm

Mr. Anonymous, a nice name, looking in the shadow with the mask maybe :wink:

Ok sorry I can't do without react (I know it's a habit) . I don't deny the drummers make mistake, I agree they need to work with him but I really had hard when read

It’s clear that that guy isn’t the right successor of Otus.

You told yourself it was too soon but at same time you dare come and told that like you should know all better then others. Somewhere no one can be the right successor since Otus was Otus. He simply is a new member, stop compare him with Otus or even with Kita.

I was, am and should always be a big fan of Otus but goddamn give the newbie his chance in place of already judge him certainly after yourself put fingers on some of the problems
Our Daddy is the best 'cos he sincerly love us
Isa

Postby American-Monsterman » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:07 pm

Greetings, Mr.anonymous and welcome to Monsterboard.
Gee, you sure did have alot to say for your first post, but I clearly see where you stand. Quite frankly, Lordi's performance has been constantly failing miserably since the departure of Kita. As great as Otus was, most shows were quickly placed at the last moment and the band hardly had time to prepare- for anything. Now, with Otus gone (RIP), Awa leaving, preparing for the next album, that stupid choir thing, and getting the new member(s) situated, I bloody doubt the band had ANY good rehearsal time AT ALL.

Really sad. For being a 10th Anniversary show, I would say you got zipped for your money, and this "less than average" performance of a show was a bit of a mess, which really sucks for those who paid good amounts just to see. I would've been pissed too.

As far as the new drummer goes- He's only improvising for now (could you blame him?). He really is a great drummer, just needs more time. Although, at times, I wish he would lay off the splash cymbal. Kinda goes haywire with it and sounds gawd awful.
Well see, well see.
American-Monsterman

Postby Isa » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:11 pm

Also about the fact he should want copy Otus, maybe it get asked that he do. With Otus all others have must adapt them on his tempo who wasn't same then the one of Kita. Here they maybe simply ask on drummer to use tempo of Otus in place of take time found his own tempo.

Otus was also a pur metal drummer that you didn't imagine in Lordi. Actual drummer is maybe just a hard rock drummer not same kind but not bad for that
Isa

Postby King » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:13 pm

Isa wrote:
King wrote:Yeah the drummer quit the backing track. :)

Ain't it a crew who do that ?

I know drummer do a part but dunno I don't found logic if he need mind on backing track, tempo and not confuse song. Isn't it a bit too much ask for someone who begin ?

I think people expect him to learn fast, a bit too fast. Otus did but it's him who was out of standart

No I think it was the drummer. :) He puts the backing track on, hears a countdown from his ear monitor and then starts playing. Or that's what I think. Or at least I think it was the drummer who quit the backing track because he did a rapid movement with his right hand to left and hit something that I did not hear... Don't know... :) You're right about people expecting him to learn a bit too fast but as American Monsterman said, he's just improvising for now. He just knows the structure of the songs and I sure don't think they've rehearsed a lot of these old songs for guess they've been focusing on the next album.
I'm the carnivore Rex sinking fangs in your flesh!
King

Postby Hemitys » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:34 pm

Isa wrote:Also about the fact he should want copy Otus, maybe it get asked that he do. With Otus all others have must adapt them on his tempo who wasn't same then the one of Kita. Here they maybe simply ask on drummer to use tempo of Otus in place of take time found his own tempo.

I didn't notice any tempo changes durings the shows I saw Lordi with Otus. I'd say it's pretty impossible that there was any transition since they used the same backing tracks with Kita. Assuming you are talking about tempo on musical terms as in BPM, beats per minute.

I wasn't at Rovaniemi to see the show but it's pretty sad to hear and see the negative feedback. Surely the drummer is kinda newbie still at the moment but they have played together already for months. If he stills has some problems playing the songs... that would be bad. Let's just hope that all the difficulties were there just because of the techinal equipment. Though I must say, at this point I would imagine they would have overcome the equipment hassle which was usual during the first years.
A Monster Heart Is A Hell To Tear Apart
Hemitys
Site Admin

Postby Isa » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:49 pm

No, I didn't mean tempo as BPM. I will try to explain me better. In big resume with same tempo (BPM) Kita and Otus had a totally different way to do a song (like Babez for example), then my mind was that maybe it get asked drummer more play it on Otus way
Isa

Postby Hemitys » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:55 pm

Isa wrote:No, I didn't mean tempo as BPM. I will try to explain me better. In big resume with same tempo (BPM) Kita and Otus had a totally different way to do a song (like Babez for example), then my mind was that maybe it get asked drummer more play it on Otus way

Ah ok so you were just talking the style of playing,
A Monster Heart Is A Hell To Tear Apart
Hemitys
Site Admin

Postby Joni Master » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:33 am

Joni Master

Postby Isa » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:19 am

2 videos are take from far, one very close of wave. I found you can't really compare then. It can be it's me since I have ear problem but first video I don't ear drums good enough
Isa

Postby Joni Master » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:38 am

King wrote:Yeah the drummer quit the backing track. :)

Was superb trip up to North. Met some of the band few hours before the gig and again after it, also got the Drummer's autograph and exchanged few words. Gig was great but PMMP's gig was a little greater because haven't really seen them before and the amount of energy there was so damn overwhelming! Loved it. Really got everything out of this trip, so, so happy.

Yeah drummer started too early...
Joni Master

Postby Anthalerero » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:18 pm

Mr. anonymous wrote: For example the sound that Mr. L was singing at that moment was being repeated constantly, also there were problems with the backing tracks like in “Rock Police” for example.

Well, i wasn't at that gig, but after your description i can imagine the sound pretty well. It sounds like what i heard last year on Christmas Metal Festival in Lichtenfels - which was, to be honest, one of the worst gigs i've ever seen of Lordi. Which is kinda strange, because some of the BfB-Era gigs in Germany were the best so far...
But problems with the Rock Police backing track seem to be usual since the end of BfB-Tour - a problem with the backing track file itself? I've heard it a few times since Hannover '10 (where i heard it for the first time) until now, both on gigs i was attending and recordings. The backing track either stops, or sort of hung during the first chorus and then continues a little later than the actual played song. Since it does not happen on every gig, it can be difficult to fix - but after more than one and a half year...?
And the second thing... do they really still use this ANNOYING echo-effect on the vocals? It was the main thing that fucked up the Lichtenfels-gig for me - because the damn echo was way too loud, and it was impossible to recognize what he was singing, even if you knew the song word by word! It made everything sound confused, and i had the feeling that it did even confuse the guys on stage too. I wonder why it's still done then?
But i think it's wrong to judge the new drummer, saying he's the reason for the problems you heard on Simerock. Since especially the things i mentioned above are heard and known longer than he's even in the band. And those are things that aren't "one guy fails", if you know what i mean.
So... it seems that simerock now, was just the tip of the iceberg... and in a way, it fits to the "story" during the last 2 years :-(
~ Proud member of the Kalmageddon Order ~

Never let them see behind the mask at all
The icon must never ever fall

*** ALL HAIL THE FREAKS!!! ***
Anthalerero

Postby Mr. anonymous » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:28 pm

Hi, and thanks for the welcome messages. Glad to hear you agree the fact that they need to work with him. I honestly have to admit that that last sentence of “It’s clear that that guy isn’t the right successor of Otus.” Was a bit too much. Maybe I sounded (a bit) too negative about that guy.

But that doesn’t take away my opinion, I hope they really DO some good rehearsals and take their time for it after the new album. And the fact that “I put my fingers on all the problems” is because I clearly want to make sure that there is something wrong. I don’t want to sound like the guy who want’s to know everything better, hell no and It wasn’t my intention to compare him with Kita and Otus at all.

Every drummer/musician has his own style, it’s good to give your own twist to a song but the drummer gives a bit too much his own twist, he doesn’t respect the “main structure” of the song, he just uses a beat which fit the song. Like American-Monsterman said he just improvises. He really needs to learn the song for the next tour.

Maybe it’s also the fact that (and maybe I sound like I’m comparing again, which isn’t my intention sorry :P) Kita was the founder of the drum tracks (so he mainly couldn’t make any mistakes) and Otus was a pure metal drummer in a rock band with a level of drumming which was (way) above the average of a standard drummer and he amazed the Lordi fans by “tuning up the songs” with his double bass, tricks and spectacular fills. And he learned the songs very fast, so everyone is happy and now we have someone who is at normal level of drumming again which doesn’t learns fast at all.So now the contrast is even bigger.

And yeah I think after Otus’ death Mr. L was indeed looking for a drummer which would be a bit like Otus and so he maybe indeed got asked to play like him and so there is a lot of pressure on his shoulders. Maybe indeed we just have to wait to “judge” after the next album because then they had more time to rehearse and practice and then he will be the founder of the new songs. (And I hope he will be able to play at least his own songs the right way.)
Last edited by Mr. anonymous on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. anonymous

Postby Kitawa » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:42 pm

Maybe I am being really naive, but I trust they have the right person behind the drumset, and that's simply because I trust the band. I believe they know the drummer and his abilities, background and challenges a lot better than any of us, and since they chose him, I believe he is the right one.
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13
Kitawa

Postby monsterboy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm

Well i'm not quiet a big fan of the new drummer at the moment but I think Kitawa is right. :)

ps: Welcome to the family Mr. anonymous
(Session) Drummer Ash

"Just support the band that you dig.
That´s your "job", That's what makes the rockmachine rolling
".
- Mr. L

I LOVE OTUS! Proud to be a Lordi fan!
monsterboy

Postby Dr. Sin » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:23 am

Mr. anonymous, you could use some paragraphing, thank you. Those huge walls of text are hard to read.
Dr. Sin

Postby Isa » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:36 am

Maybe it’s also the fact that (and maybe I sound like I’m comparing again, which isn’t my intention sorry ) Kita was the founder of the drum tracks (so he mainly couldn’t make any mistakes)

You can then also add that Kita (founder) help Otus to learn the song when at opposite Otus couldn't learn that on the drummer. Maybe Kita help here too but I am not sure at all
Isa

Postby American-Monsterman » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:35 am

Yes, that is correct. That is why I'm not bad mouthing the new drummer too quickly.
First of all, anyone has been reading the news ALL know who Otus really was. Playing drums for one of my very favorite female fronted metal bands, we know Otus was no amateur. Along with more drumming experienced than Kita, Kita himself even spent a few weeks personally training Otus on how to play Lordi songs like, well, Kita-ish. So it was no surprise hearing Otus play signature parts in the beats like Kita.

The New Drummer, however, had no Kita (nor Otus) training. He is a new monster, with his own style, playing Lordi out of nothing from the ground up. We can't expect him to play Kita beats like Kita- He never knew Kita!
And believe me, for improvising on songs he doesn't heartfully know yet, I say he's doing a pretty damn good job :D ... well, most of the time. :?
American-Monsterman

Postby Kitawa » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:59 am

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13
Kitawa

Postby Monsta » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:31 am

:lol: You're just awesome.
Monsta

Postby monsterboy » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:29 pm

Ha ha good one. :lol:
(Session) Drummer Ash

"Just support the band that you dig.
That´s your "job", That's what makes the rockmachine rolling
".
- Mr. L

I LOVE OTUS! Proud to be a Lordi fan!
monsterboy

Postby BloodRedSandgirl » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:53 pm

Aaww i love this :D
Ya better pucker up, and open wide, and take it cause we love you
BloodRedSandgirl

Postby FFD » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:02 pm

Absolutely great pic. Thanks for that..

I think the speculation with that gig and especially the new drummer is kinda ridiculous. Of course he's new guy in the band and he hasn't have time to play every song as good as Kita or Otus. And I think it was great if every drummer plays those songs in their own ways. We don't have that speculation if he played wrong or in different way that Otus or Kita did, he played his own way. I accept that and it's just so nice to hear old Lordi songs with new band members. They're doing their best but not imitating old players and it's still the same Lordi, just brought the show today-time.
FFD

Postby Joni Master » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:54 pm

Hah. :lol: Thanks for this. I feel bad for the drummer. :|
Joni Master

Postby _SYNDICATE_ » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:41 pm

Can you stop this new drummer stuff for once? It's stupid to think that every single muscian will play those songs the same way. Every muscian has a different playing style, different taste in gear and different skill level. And it would be fucking boring if all these drummers would play the same, in that case why not just use a drum machine and listen to the same shit every time.
These are live shows and all musicians in the world no matter how good they are make mistakes, that's what makes those shows special in a way. If you like boring perfection just put on a record and listen to it over and over again.
Oh, and one more point, it's hard to be a new guy doesn't matter in what scenario. Especially when environment changes so critical, imagine how hard it is to start playing in that costume, it takes months or even years to get used to it. It's not like wearing platforms and make-up like KISS does, it's a full on latex costume.
Last edited by _SYNDICATE_ on Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_SYNDICATE_

PreviousNext

Return to Gigs