Monsterboard

10th Lordi album

Discussion about record, singles, videos, comic book etc.

Moderators: Hemitys, psyanide, Nightmare Wings Hell

Re: 10th Lordi album

Postby ksco » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:43 pm

Rockman wrote:I try to fight temptation this time, but great to read your reviews! Can anyone say, which is the "new song" of the album, not referring to any decade? :)

After some interviews u can read that the most "new" song is the already known for everyone - IDAHITYF but for me it sounds like lordi from bfb era mixed with bon jovi and after listeting to samples the new song for me is Evil XD so.. I dunno XD
ksco

Postby alalitsches » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:38 am

I couldn't resist aswell :oops: I was too curious...

2. Horror for Hire
Powerful start, I really like the sound, it's very Theaterror-like, weak chorus though

4. Like a bee to the honey
Might be even better than the other Bouvoir/Stanley songs by Kiss. Great melodies, very AOR

5. Apollyon
Boring verses, thought they might lift it up with a huge Alice Cooper - Hey Stoopid chorus but 2× "Abaddon- Apollyon returns" is really disappointing at that moment

7. Blow my fuse
This is a really good song, when you just forget your expectations of a Lordi song, I think I may love that song

9. Zombimbo
I'm glad that only the rhythm guitar is similar too "I was made for loving you". I really like the vibe. This is the first chorus that really caught me by the way.

10. Up to no good
Yes, sounds like babez for breakfast with better produced drums. There are great melodies in the verse and pre-chorus, Chorus is not my cup of tea but effective. By the way, I always think, Lordi is the king of pre-choruses. Horror for Hire, I dug a hole..., Zombimbo, Up to no good have so good pre-choruses. If they just managed to write better choruses afterward...

12. Cutterfly
Did I just critizise choruses? I'm pleased now. This is one of their best choruses since Deadache. Therefor the verse might be weaker here.

13. Evil
Which decade should this song come from? As I dug a hole in the yard was the one new song and there is no electric drum kid in Evil, it might be from the 80's but it sounds even more modern than I dug a hole... It's produced the exact same way, I guess Mikko Karmila produced that aswell. It's very heavy but with great melodies, good one

14. Scream Demon
Ok, electric drums, we're in the 90's again. I'm not sure... verses sound ok, there's almost no snare sound, the chorus is a bit too tough for me... Anyway, I almost never like the last song on a Lordi album. The last one I liked was Supermonstars.

I have to listen to the whole songs. I'm glad I listened to the samples because as a surprise, I might have been disappointed. I'm pretty sure, I will like the album in the end but it has to grow. My girlfriend just listened to some samples together with me and she said, hmm sounds like they are getting old and tired.

I'm just thinking back to Deadache where every chorus was a bomb. Ok, Sexorcosm was very good at that, too
alalitsches

Postby Rockman » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:10 pm

I found one album review, but it doesn't really give us anything new.
https://www.headbangerslifestyle.com/al ... fm-records
Rockman

Postby Monsta » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:35 pm

Funny, I think “Apollyon” is by far the most interesting of the samples. It sounds really theatrical, rock opera a la Alice Cooper. I’m intrigued!
Monsta

Postby Hulking_Dynamite » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:39 pm

Monsta wrote:Funny, I think “Apollyon” is by far the most interesting of the samples. It sounds really theatrical, rock opera a la Alice Cooper. I’m intrigued!

Agreed. I think the sound of the song really befits the lyrical content, as the song is most likely referencing the Angel of Death.

The song which I think I could do the most without is probably "Evil", but maybe that's just me.
Hulking_Dynamite

Postby alalitsches » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:01 pm

Still no information about "Like a bee to the honey" being released on friday. Even on Deezer it doesn't say 'released on 17th January' anymore... Mr.Lordi said in an interview, that it was their plan to release it as a single but there's one little thing missing (something about rights) but they'll try to manage that...
alalitsches

Postby Sexorcism18 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:42 pm

alalitsches wrote: Mr.Lordi said in an interview, that it was their plan to release it as a single but there's one little thing missing (something about rights) but they'll try to manage that...

What interview it was?
Sexorcism18

Postby alalitsches » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:13 pm

Sexorcism18 wrote:
alalitsches wrote: Mr.Lordi said in an interview, that it was their plan to release it as a single but there's one little thing missing (something about rights) but they'll try to manage that...

What interview it was?

It was in the fireworks magazine.
alalitsches

Postby Isa » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:15 pm

7. Blow my fuse
This is a really good song, when you just forget your expectations of a Lordi song, I think I may love that song

-> Early 70's song

9. Zombimbo
I'm glad that only the rhythm guitar is similar too "I was made for loving you". I really like the vibe. This is the first chorus that really caught me by the way.

-> Also 70 but end 70

13. Evil
Which decade should this song come from? As I dug a hole in the yard was the one new song and there is no electric drum kid in Evil, it might be from the 80's but it sounds even more modern than I dug a hole... It's produced the exact same way, I guess Mikko Karmila produced that aswell. It's very heavy but with great melodies, good one

-> Mr Lordi is producer of the album

I am busy writing review for FI Musica but not sure I will be as complete than you when hearing whole song. That say it is not my aim too.
Our Daddy is the best 'cos he sincerly love us
Isa

Postby alalitsches » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:03 am

Mr Lordi is producer of the album

But they said, they recorded with different producers and judged by the sound I can almost promise that Mikko Karmila produced 'I dug a hole in the yard for you' and 'Evil'. Don't know about the rest of the songs though.
alalitsches

Postby MarkusHasADeadache » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:17 am

alalitsches wrote:
Mr Lordi is producer of the album

But they said, they recorded with different producers and judged by the sound I can almost promise that Mikko Karmila produced 'I dug a hole in the yard for you' and 'Evil'. Don't know about the rest of the songs though.

I'm reviewing the album for the webzine I write for and the press release that came with the album does say Mr. L is the producer. But we do know there were several producers working on the album, including Mikko Karmila, so Mr. L being credited is probably just to indicate that he was the one constant overseeing the whole process and guiding all the different producers they worked with to fulfill his vision.
"I'm who I am and this is what I do!"
"In the name of the Lordi..."
Miss-Elodia - my naughty Lordi girl. <3
MarkusHasADeadache

Postby Isa » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:02 am

I guess we will know for sure with booklet as there every producer need to be credit
Isa

Postby alalitsches » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:43 pm

Allright, spamming again (Isa ;) )
New samples on Itunes Australia and Like a bee to the honey is released tomorrow :D :D
alalitsches

Postby ksco » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:13 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_D49oDR5Zs

Like A Bee To The Honey is released! Sooo.. at first I wanted to say that this cover for this single looks better than cover for the Killection imo.. :lol:
About the song, there's nothing special for me, less "fireworks" than in STBS and IDAHITYFY buuuut it sounds really nice, so simple and pure beauty imo also lyrics are really cool to sing and nice.. okay that is really NICE XD
ksco

Postby alalitsches » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:35 am

You can definitely hear that Lordi didn't write that song. I think melodie-wise it sounds like Lordi but Lordi would have written a different drum pattern because it stays the same all the time. The saxophone is really cool. The drums make it a little bit boring but otherwise it's a solid song.

Now that I have listened to the new samples I have the feeling, some songs are a bit boring:

Horror for hire - This four chord bridge without solo or vocals are awful, they did that a few times on Sexorcism and I hoped they will never do that again.

Cutterfly - The chorus is damn great but the verse is worse ( :lol: ). May be the most boring verse they have ever had. Plus I fear a four chord bridge with nothing happening again.

Zombimbo- Every part seems to be a bit long... They might have shorten the chorus after Zombiiiiiimbo

I don't know...
alalitsches

Postby Rockman » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:40 am

Like The Bee To The Honey is out. The verses' chords are same as in Journeys Seperate Ways. :) 80's song all the way. I could see this song being in some 80's Kiss album, like Asylum. Saxophone Solo is great, as they always seem to be. :D I don't know about you guys, but I love the chorus! Hope it won't become stale after few listens. Oh, and the spoken word-parts! Vincent Price all the way, especially the laugh near the end.

This will be an interesting album! From the singles this is my second favourite after IDAHITYFY.
Rockman

Postby Hulking_Dynamite » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:02 am

Love the chorus of LABTTH, but I admit the song is a bit more repetitive than I initially imagined. The saxophone solo was a nice touch to hear in a Lordi song :D . I think this song is going to be stuck in my head much more now haha.

Also, nice to know that Paul Stanley and Lordi worked on a song together, that must've been a dream come true for Mr.L :o
Hulking_Dynamite

Postby alalitsches » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:56 am

Hulking_Dynamite wrote:Also, nice to know that Paul Stanley and Lordi worked on a song together, that must've been a dream come true for Mr.L :o

They didn't work together, Paul and Jean gave that finished song to Lordi. It was written in the 80's
alalitsches

Postby Isa » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:07 pm

alalitsches wrote:Allright, spamming again (Isa ;) )

Look at your total number of post, after look at my amount. Who's the spammer ? :mrgreen:

3 singles, ain't it the 1st time we got 3 singles before the release ? Or 3 singles at all
Isa

Postby Cannibal's Candy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:06 pm

Absolutely love like a bee...!! It’s so 80s but perfectly executed with great production, this is how babez for breakfast should have sounded. Also love the saxophone solo!

Dug a hole... is also cool, love the pre chorus and chorus, but don’t like the riffs and the songwriting (meaning the way the parts are stuck together) seems a bit off, it doesn’t really fit. Also I really don’t fancy those strange bridge/“solo”sections which is something they also did on sexorcism and which annoyed me a lot.

Shake the baby silent is probably a good song, but since I’m not a 90s industrial fan I can’t tell much about it

I’m still excited for the album, some of the samples sounded cool.

But all in all I think that Lordi should not put out an album every 1,5 to 2 years but instead focus on writing a completely coherent album like the first 5 albums. Since Theaterror/Demonarchy they seem to just put out what they wrote instead of giving themselves time, that might be why the albums don’t feel as compact and dense anymore, they lack a special atmosphere.
Death from above mercilessly annihilate everything

Check out my Metallica/Iron Maiden covers: https://www.youtube.com/user/COB710/videos
Cannibal's Candy

Postby alalitsches » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:39 pm

Hmm, somehow I have the strange feeling, they are just choosing the wrong songs. Some examples:

They said, Sick Flick almost didn't make it on the album because only one of them really liked it (it's still my favourite song on the album)

They said, Slashion model girls was the first song the decided to be on Sexorcism, I think this is one of the most boring songs on it.

On TBONTB Mr.Lordi said, his favourites are I'm the best and Sincerely with love. I'm still trying to forget Sincerely with love being a Lordi song ;). His favourites are always strange... If I remember correctly, Cadaver Lover was his favourite on SFO. I think the verses were good but the rest doesn't really have this Lordi-vibe.
While he never says something outstanding about typical Lordi songs as I love them (Candy for the Cannibal, Monster is my Name, Sick Flick, Naked in my Cellar, Hot&Satanned...)

He's by far my favourite songwriter but I think at the moment he's just not interested in writing the kind of songs that I miss. Those big choruses with not so repetitive lyrics and a lot tambourine like they did maaany years ago.

It makes me a bit sad to listen to choruses of Would you love a monsterman, Not the nicest guy, monster monster, Forsaken fashion dolls, good to be bad, supermonstars, Beast loose in paradise (best chorus ever)
and afterwards I listen to Horror for Hire, Apollyon, Scream Demon, Hell has room, Sir, mr. Presideath sir, Sincerely with love, something wicked this way comes... there's a huge difference...
alalitsches

Postby Cannibal's Candy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:23 pm

Well what you’re saying is quite subjective. For example I think that Slashion Model Girls is the most classic Lordi Song on Sexorcism with its story and the 80s vibe, that’s why for me it is one of the best. Cadaver Lover also is classic 80s Lordi. The fact that the new songs don’t sound like the old ones is natural, times change, people change, music interests change, and no band writes 10 perfect albums, not even Iron Maiden did that although they came close. But I get your point that something is different, to me it’s a lack of an overall consistent atmosphere that Monsterican Dream had for example. They still write great songs but the whole picture is missing.

The general problem might be that they write too many songs and immediately release a new album and it’s not quality over quantity anymore. The reason why Get Heavy is so good is that it’s kind of a best of of all the songs they wrote up to that point and not the best songs they wrote in that year.
Death from above mercilessly annihilate everything

Check out my Metallica/Iron Maiden covers: https://www.youtube.com/user/COB710/videos
Cannibal's Candy

Postby Monsta » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:37 pm

"Like a Bee to The Honey" is easily the best recording they've done in years. It's cheesy, it's fun, the choruses are ADDICTIVE. Very well done you lovely monsters!

As for the debate about the evolvement of Lordi's songwriting: I do agree there's become a difference. For my part, I'd say it started with the Scare Force One album. I wouldn't say that lacks atmosphere, but that is where the otherwise signature Lordi song structures changed in my view. The melodies and the choruses were still there, and have mostly been throughout their soon to be 10 album long career, but on SFO they started to insist on doing more complex riffing and musical passages. While I do enjoy it on the other half of Monstereophonic for example, where this type of writing is taken to its full potential, I think it makes other albums and songs lack. There have been loads of Lordi songs released in recent years with those simple, classic choruses and harmonies which I know and love, but the more heavier/complex instrumentals in between kind of sinks the song as a whole.

They've been quite outspoken about taking this "metal" musical turn in recent years though, which is fine and I know that many people like that direction. Perhaps it brought in some new fans. For me it's the simple 80's rock that mainly does the trick - which is why I'm so insanely excited about this new song that in my view takes them back to their roots.
Monsta

Postby Isa » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:04 pm

alalitsches wrote:Hmm, somehow I have the strange feeling, they are just choosing the wrong songs. Some examples:

They said, Sick Flick almost didn't make it on the album because only one of them really liked it (it's still my favourite song on the album)

They said, Slashion model girls was the first song the decided to be on Sexorcism, I think this is one of the most boring songs on it.

On TBONTB Mr.Lordi said, his favourites are I'm the best and Sincerely with love. I'm still trying to forget Sincerely with love being a Lordi song ;). His favourites are always strange... If I remember correctly, Cadaver Lover was his favourite on SFO. I think the verses were good but the rest doesn't really have this Lordi-vibe.
While he never says something outstanding about typical Lordi songs as I love them (Candy for the Cannibal, Monster is my Name, Sick Flick, Naked in my Cellar, Hot&Satanned...)

He's by far my favourite songwriter but I think at the moment he's just not interested in writing the kind of songs that I miss. Those big choruses with not so repetitive lyrics and a lot tambourine like they did maaany years ago.

It makes me a bit sad to listen to choruses of Would you love a monsterman, Not the nicest guy, monster monster, Forsaken fashion dolls, good to be bad, supermonstars, Beast loose in paradise (best chorus ever)
and afterwards I listen to Horror for Hire, Apollyon, Scream Demon, Hell has room, Sir, mr. Presideath sir, Sincerely with love, something wicked this way comes... there's a huge difference...

Your post made me more think that problem is just that they don't choose what you considere to be "good songs"

If you ask on fans which are good songs you will get a lotttt of different answer because we don't have same taste. So what is good for one, may be bad for an other. Same count for band as they are humans. Like us they have own taste, own definition of good

I love "The United Rocking Dead", for most fans it is one of the song they liked less on SF1.

L doesn't have to be interested in write the kind of song a fan (or fans) miss because it is impossible. He just have to write songs he like, they just choose songs they like
Isa

Postby alalitsches » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:01 pm

Isa wrote:
alalitsches wrote:Hmm, somehow I have the strange feeling, they are just choosing the wrong songs. Some examples:

Your post made me more think that problem is just that they don't choose what you considere to be "good songs"

If you ask on fans which are good songs you will get a lotttt of different answer because we don't have same taste. So what is good for one, may be bad for an other. Same count for band as they are humans. Like us they have own taste, own definition of good

I love "The United Rocking Dead", for most fans it is one of the song they liked less on SF1.

L doesn't have to be interested in write the kind of song a fan (or fans) miss because it is impossible. He just have to write songs he like, they just choose songs they like

Sure, you're right about everything, I was just trying to say, they don't always choose the songs that are subjectively their best in my opinion. I mean I don't know the other demos though... When there are samples of the album I often think, Wow, that title sounds like a get heavy song title (For example horror for hire sounds like a real Lordi hit) Then I listen to it and I think, well, it's ok... I might like it after a few replays... It's not that I don't like it, they are still my favourite band but sometimes I think, some older albums had a better vibe than Sexorcism for example, which was maybe a bit too overproduced. Listen to the kick drum in the Sadomesticated intro. Didn't sound like a drum...

And here and there I notice that the lyrics are getting shorter with each album... Look in the booklets of monsterican dream and theaterror. On Theaterror they needed two pages for 6 songs. The samples of Killection sound like that: Are there much lyrics in the chorus - write only a few words for the verse, is there a long verse keep the chorus short or repetitive so you can cross out repititions in the booklet. As a bridge there's more often nothing these days (Shake the baby, your tongue, naked...) or some yeah's or repititions again (hell sent in the clowns, house of ghosts, down with the devil, haunting season). There I have the feeling, Mr.L is writing practicable songs or just easy for him to remember the lyrics instead of more melodies or a booklet with more pages costs more money... I could be totally wrong though and it's just his style of writing.

I was just listening to the old songs and that was a difference I noticed.
alalitsches

PreviousNext

Return to Releases