Monsterboard

10th Lordi album

Discussion about record, singles, videos, comic book etc.

Moderators: Hemitys, psyanide, Nightmare Wings Hell

Re: 10th Lordi album

Postby ksco » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:41 pm

Well I have to join to this discussion about to choose songs for the albums. As u guys says about many songs which r good for u but not for lordi the I wanted to say that probably 80% of their bonus tracks fits much better to the main album than songs that acutally are on the main album. I mean many of us think that bonus tracks are so amazing like for example Hate At First Sight, Mr Killjoy, To Hell With Pop, Evilove, Beast Loose In Paradise... well I think I could count every bonus track cuz I love them all so much XD and yeah, imo these songs should be on the main albums, not as bonus tracks cuz they are sooo fucking good. Oh, and also I remember that few weeks ago Mana said on his insta that his fave one from Killection is.. Carnivore, so also a bonus track :D I dunno, maybe thay wanted their best songs to be as bonus tracks and not available for everyone :lol:
ksco

Postby Isa » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:04 pm

I just want to mention that it isnt only band who choose the songs who go to an album. It is also the label and the producer

Now that say let's go back to the subject of that topic :mrgreen:

My review of the album is online : https://www.fimusica.com/reviews/lordi/
Our Daddy is the best 'cos he sincerly love us
Isa

Postby alalitsches » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:04 pm

My picture vinyl came today. Here's my track by track of the new tracks. I always try to judge if this song has the potential for being a hit back in the days because that's the concept of the album.

Horror for Hire: Has a lot of energy, the chorus is ok, maybe a bit too repetitive. Because of the energy it could have been a hit in my opinion.

Apollyon: The instrumental is sooo beautiful. The chorus is not good but it's not the intention of the song. Better than I thought. Don't know if it would have been a hit but it definitely fits as single.

Blow my fuse: The great melodies are focused on the guitars a bit instead of the vocals. The ending is very Lordi untypical and not my cup of tea but unexpected and that makes it fine. Definitely a hit!

Zombimbo: Basssolo, didn't expect that. Good chorus, overall maybe a little flat, I miss a bridge maybe. The chorus makes the hit here.

Up to no good: The chorus starts the song, very cool. I don't like the keyboard sound in the chorus and the chorus itself but the rest of the song is great. Bridge and a real solo, that combination didn't really exist on Sexorcism. I love Lordi's bridges by the way, sadly there aren't a lot yet on that album. Really, this bridge makes me addicted to this song.

Cutterfly: This chorus is amaaaazing, verse is a bit short. I really like the keyboards on this one. The solo is great, the introduction to the solo not so much. Again no bridge. That's sad. Chorus makes it a hit again but the lyrics are way too short. It's somehow a problem for me since Theaterror.

Evil: Short verses again, cool riffs. I like the chorus, it's short aswell but effective. Again no bridge, only those "evil" screams. Good start, boring in the end. Not really a hit maybe

Scream Demon: It starts with a real cool verse. By the way, this is an 80's song and Evil is from the 90's. The chorus is not my cup of tea, too repetitive. Can't see it being a hit.

Carnivore: That one is fun. Should be on the album, cause I don't have a record player in my car. It has a great chorus AND A BRIDGE AND A SOLO. Might be one of the best songs on the album.

Here are my points:

Horror for Hire: 9/10
Shake the baby silent: 7/10
Like a bee to the honey: 8/10
Apollyon: 7/10
Blow my fuse: 7/10
I dug a hole in the yard for you: 9/10
Zombimbo: 8/10
Up to no good: 8/10
Cutterfly: 9/10
Evil: 8/10
Scream Demon: 6/10
Carnivore: 9/10

Two things to add:

1) my wishes for the future:

->I love the production of Horror for Hire and Cutterfly, maybe a whole album with one of these two producers would be great.

-> I'm hoping for not so repetitive lyrics in the future. And I hope they won't cut out all bridges on the next album (on Killection there are three, on Sexorcism it was half of the songs and on Monstereophonic there was a bridge in every song except for two). I want to hear cool horror stories containing cool lyrics instead of just a few sentences.

2) my speculations about the future:

On the last SCG of the album the radio presenter says: "Yes, we will play the whole album but not yet."
As a best of mostly has more than 11 songs, maybe there will be Killection pt.2? Like with Babez and To beast, where Babez ended with "what's for dinner" and to beast starts with "dinner is served".
alalitsches

Postby ksco » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:06 pm

Okay, lemme introduce to you my ratings of songs of Killection

All SCGs - 8/10 - one of the best SCGs imo, great concept and really cool easter eggs are there, just one thing I don't like when album ends with a cut, I mean there is "I am here" and just the end. I more prefer smoothly endings but it is just me.

Horror For Hire - 6/10 - really good at the opening, this scream from mrL reminds a lil bit of We're Not Bad For The Kids, but then it's getting worse, especially chorus.. uuuu Horror For Hire.. it's just to less to make this song better imo

Shake The Baby Silent - 8/10 - so fucking catchy, also chorus is just the title but here it fits much better than in opening track. Really like these baby screams/crying there

Like A Bee To The Honey - 7/10 - classic Kiss song, so catchy and chorus is amazing for me but the "speed" of the song is on the same way all the time, I think drums are practically the same by the whole song.

Apollyon - 2/10 - WTF IS THIS XD plz stop, for me it's just one of the worst song Lordi ever created.. sorry, not my type unfortunately :? At the start of song I thought it's just another lame commercial on spotify lol

Blow My Fuse - 7,5/10 - I feel a good potential in this song, It's probably the most non-lordi song on this album, but sounds really good, and I really like the bass here

I Dug A Hole In The Yard For You - 9/10 - yeah, for sure this one is the most lordish song on the album and well, what can say it's really good song, I think I said evertyhing about this song when it was released before. :)

Zombimbo - 6,5/10 - I really dunno what to say.. XD cuz in one way, this song is so weird.. so shitty in some way but in other way this disco shit is sooo gooood and I really like this one XD I like chorus so much! :lol: but well, it is not one of the greatest song

Up To No Good - 7/10 - It's getting better from now, really like this one, has a potential, guitar is so great in this imo

Cutterfly - 9/10 - oh yes! This one could be as the single for me, so fucking catchy for me, love practically everything in this song, it's just should more powerful in some ways and it would be 10/10 then :twisted:

Evil - 10/10!!! - Hell fucking yes, from the very start when tracklist was published I knew this one can be amazing and yes it is! Finally I have goosebumps druring listeting to this album! This song so much fits in Sexorcism and Demonarchy style, I really dig this style of Lordi, they should record more songs like this one imo :mrgreen: absolute banger, hope to hear this on the upcoming tour!

Scream Demon - 7,5/10 - Musically song is great, but chorus could be a bit better cuz it's getting a lil boring in some way, but still this song is so good, and yes, as I thought this part of the album could the best and yes it is for me :D

So, at all, this album didn't get me a goosebumps as for example Deadache or Sexorcism, but it's not a bad album too, concept is really good and it has a potential imo, I hope I will hear somewhere Carnivore cuz I can't buy vinyl cuz I haven't anything where I can listen to vinyl from :lol:

So my Lordi album ranking looks like this right now:
1. Deadache
2. Sexorcism
3. Babez For Breakfast
4. The Arockalypse
5. Scare Force One
6. Get Heavy
7. Killection
8. Monstereophonic
9. To Beast Or Not To Beast
10. The Monsterican Dream
ksco

Postby alalitsches » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:15 pm

Wow, Lordi released a new album today and there's only one new post yet? For Sexorcism there was much more action in here and that wasn't soo long ago. Makes me a bit sad. When I became a fan in 2012 there were tons of new posts every day even if we were weeks away from the album release. On Facebook it's just a different kind of discussion, everybody only contributes a few words. Back in 2012 I always knew, if there are samples or reviews out there in the www anywhere, I just have to visit this forum cause somebody has found these things and posted it here. Nowadays I have to search myself :shock:
There used to be always three websites I visited every day for updates: Lordi army, Lordicted (German fanclub) and Monsterboard. Now that the first two pages are dead it seems the third one is slowely dying.

Sorry for being off-topic, I just had to let my feelings flow...

Something about Killection:
In the last SCG, Ralph starts to play the next song but then the studio gets destroyed. Before that he says, they are gonna play the album in it's entirety. Mr.L. said in an interview, they recorded in 7 different studios. I din't count yet but as some songs were recorded in the same studio, I don't think it makes 7 in total. They said somewhere else that they recorded 3-4 songs in each studio. And they said that it took sooo long to record it this time. Could it be that they allready recorded parts of the second Killection half and the end of SCG:I am here is already the intro of the next album opener? That's a very strange idea but Mr.Lordi often surprises us with his ideas and he already thinks about the next album he said...
alalitsches

Postby Rockman » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:53 pm

alalitsches wrote:Wow, Lordi released a new album today and there's only one new post yet? For Sexorcism there was much more action in here and that wasn't soo long ago. Makes me a bit sad. When I became a fan in 2012 there were tons of new posts every day even if we were weeks away from the album release.

I can only speak for myself, but I need to think and analyze the album before I can give you my thoughts. As for now, I dig this album. It's different, but I love the idea of the album. Need few more spins and days to give my full review. 8)
Rockman

Postby Cyberundertaker1 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:53 pm

Since the album is out and everyone is posting their reviews, I have to say that it is not my favorite, but some of the songs on the album seem to fit in that Lordi all-time favorites collection for me. Let me make a list from my favorite to the least likeable song on the album, although for the songs that I like the most on the album, I hardly say which one is better. Overall, the last three songs on the album are my favorite.

Scream Demon (10/10)

I see a lot of people don't like this song too much, but for me it is perfect. The chorus gives me such a nostalgic and sad feeling, I don't know why, but I love it. It is very catchy. The slow progression of it fits it, it doesn't get boring, because back vocals compose it perfectly. I also love the melodic part after the second chorus and just the vocals in the ending, they are cherry on top. I was waiting for a longer, maybe a powerful intro, but i got used to it, perhaps it should be the way it is. This is definitely one of all time lordi favorites for me. Similarly the last song on Sexorcism, Haunting Season, was also the one that I saw as a masterpiece.

Cutterfly (10/10)
This one for some reason reminds me of Get Heavy era, I feel like it has soem of the same characteristics like Icon of Dominance. Such slow, but somehow powerful and sad progression at the same time. Piano hits those emotions. I feel like I am listening to the meanign of life when I put this song on (even lyrics at some points gives me that feeling). The solo is a great experimentation, chorus is powerful and the transitions are perfect.

Like a Bee to the Honey (10/10)

One of the best choruses for me. Great transitions. Great saxophone solo. Great last chorus. Lyrics a bit cheesy, but I don't mind, it feels like it is supposed to be that way. I am really sad that Lordi didn't write this song.

Horror for Hire (10/10)

Great intro. Very dynamic and intensive song. Great vibe. Catchy verses, pre-chorus and chorus. Great solo and transition before the last chorus. One of my favorite Lordi intros. Almost as good as He-Man for me.

Evil (9/10)

Seems like the song would easily fit into Montereophonic. Overall, all of the last three songs on the album give me a feeling of this atmosphere. Evil seems dark and very heavy which fits with lyrics and the title. However, a little bit to generic riffs at some points.

I Dug a Hole in the Yard for You (9/10)

Classic Lordi with the vibe of Theaterror and Sexorcism. Why it is not a 10 for me is because of the transition between the second chorus and solo. But pre-chorus and chorus are fantastic.

Up to No Good (9/10)

Great 80s style riff (but a little bit too generic). Pre chorus is great, chorus a bit too cheesy, but still kind of catchy. I wish the part after second chorus would be repeated a few more times (or it could even replace the chorus). The solo is great too. Actually, the whole part after the second chorus is fantastic, I even forget about the chorus' cheesyness at the end.

Shake the Baby Silent (6,7/10)

When this song came out as the first single it dissapointed me. It is not bad, but overall the chorus is just kind of catchy but to cheesy, lyrics are too random, solo feels like rushed and could be taken out. The verse guitar rhytm and riff are the best part of the song and they are done very well. Interesting mix I have to say. I like the bass also.

The other 3 songs I don't know how to rate. They are very interesting and unique experimentations, if I consider all of the Lordi's so far released stuff. But still not my taste of heavy metal and rock. Apollyon is like a jazz metal song, which is great, but it is not catchy, as it could have been. Now the solo is the thing I love about the song.
I hardly listen to Zombimbo and Blow my Fuse, because I hate their mix. They seem like catchy songs, but then the mix just ruins everything for me. Still, I think of them as interesting songs.

And about the SCG's. Great. Love them. Great idead about the radio and the first SCG on the album made me laugh, made me applaud, made me cheer, made me excited. The idea of making classic Lordi songs in the style of famous artists was fabulous.
Cyberundertaker1

Postby DCN_HellBull » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:03 pm

Where does that demonarchic double guitar onslaught come from? I don't recall any particular band utilizing such distinctive, deliciously overwhelming sound like on Evil. Geez, more of that.
DCN_HellBull

Postby Isa » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:30 pm

alalitsches wrote:Wow, Lordi released a new album today and there's only one new post yet? For Sexorcism there was much more action in here and that wasn't soo long ago. Makes me a bit sad. When I became a fan in 2012 there were tons of new posts every day even if we were weeks away from the album release. On Facebook it's just a different kind of discussion, everybody only contributes a few words. Back in 2012 I always knew, if there are samples or reviews out there in the www anywhere, I just have to visit this forum cause somebody has found these things and posted it here. Nowadays I have to search myself :shock:
There used to be always three websites I visited every day for updates: Lordi army, Lordicted (German fanclub) and Monsterboard. Now that the first two pages are dead it seems the third one is slowely dying.

Sorry for being off-topic, I just had to let my feelings flow...

In my case my review already say it all

You know you say there was more activity and it is true but when I post my review no one react on it. Was it needed to react ? No, but just realise that the "there is less post" it begin with us to interact

Before we must do 2 topics as some fans (me) wouldn't be spoiled. Before it also was info who hadn't to be realase who came out.

I manage a fan club, we have a website (and yeah I need to update it) but we choose do not give news because, and I suspect it is for that that Lordicted is dead, it is a hell of a work for in the end only say what all fans can found out on band social media place.
At a moment I hadn't any time for something else than Lordi, but some of us simply get older, got a job, continue life and have less time for keep be Lordi, Lordi, Lordi... Lordi Army still can, but they are a team and a good team it is damn hard to find
Our Daddy is the best 'cos he sincerly love us
Isa

Postby Cannibal's Candy » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:39 pm

Could anybody tell me about the booklet of the CD and of the vinyl? Not sure yet which I'm gonna buy.

After listening through the album a couple of times, here's what I think about the songs and from which year they are:

The SCGs: Very cool! Definetely among the best SCGs, very creative and cool as breaks between the songs.

Horror For Hire: Absolutely love the synths, they remind of Stranger Things and the whole Retro-Synth genre. The song is also great, cool atmosphere and lyrics, great flow, great bridge and the production really fits! Classic Lordi for me! (mid 80s?) Highlight and hit.

Shake the Baby Silent: When the single came out I wasn't that impressed, but it really grew on me, especially the main riff is among the best riffs on the album, heavy, catchy, might have been from the first 2-3 albums. Also I dig the lyrics about all kinds of unpleasent sounds and the line "canoe on the river to Hades" is awesomely delivered. Usually not a fan of Industrial stuff but this one is awesome. (mid 90s) Highlight and hit.

Like a Bee to the Honey: Awesome song! Love this slightly melancholic 80s stuff. The saxophone solo is definetely one of the coolest things the band has done and the chorus is great. (mid to late 80s?) Highlight and hit.

Apollyon: Weird song, sounds like some Art Rock/Prog Rock stuff, but I think it's cool, I like the atmosphere and the synths. Surely not classic Lordi but props for experimenting with that kinda stuff and being able to pull it off authentically. Music sounds like late 70s but production is more early 80s.

Blow my Fuse: Reminds me of Biomechanic Man, very groovy and straight to the point. Sure, the production is quite muddy but that's the intention. Definetely early 70s.

I Dug a Hole in the Yard for You: The "new" song. Already said that I'm not a fan of the riffs, they are a bit generic, but all the melodic parts are awesome. The prechorus + chorus is one of the best they've done. Also love the classic horror story! Sadly the song doesn't flow very well, the bridge doesn't fit at all. Maybe use those kinds of chorusses in a more oldschool Lordi way. Also like on the other albums that Mikko Karmilla produced, the keyboard sounds are kind of cheesy and not in the good way like on Horror for Hire, they always remind me of Funfair music urgh. Still rather a highlight for me.

Zombimbo: Gene called, he wants his bass lines back! Great song, melancholic late 70s disco stuff works for me. Bass solo is awesome, just like the solo!! But I think Mr L should have sung this song completely in his soft voice. Also the vocals in the chorus are a bit drowned. Anyway, highlight and hit.

Up to no Good: Reminds me of Motley Crue and Accept, so early 80s. Could have been on Babez for Breakfast. Good song, a bit cheesy maybe but not in a way that makes in unpleasant. The bridge is great especially the lead guitar melody before the last chorus. But Mr L often misses the tone, kind of puts me off!

Cutterfly: F*cking perfect track!! The only song that gave me the feeling of being 10 again and listening to a new Lordi album. Awesome synths, atmosphere, lyrics, mid section, solo, and that chorus!! Goosebumps. MORE OF THAT PLEASE!! I could imagine them doing a whole album in that melancholic mid 80s style and sound with all songs having a story for all kinds of serial killers, 10 songs, consistent atmosphere, no bullshit or experiments, straight to the point songs like this one here. THE highlight and hit.

Evil: Worst song on the album for me. Although I loved the whole Demonarchy stuff, this track sounds completely forced as if they said "we need a thrashy song" and just wrote that randomly, sorry.

Scream Demon: Hmmm, again some of the vocals are distinctly off tone (eg the first line). Also the chorus lyrics are really unimaginative, I mean come on you already wrote "She's a Demon", now "Scream Demon"? Song itself is rather ok. (early-mid 80s?)

OVERALL: Cool album with some standout tracks, definetely props for the idea and all the experiments. I noticed that there are more real solos again which I like. Also no akward sex lyrics stuff anymore which ruined the last album for me. As I said I hope that the next album is a consistent album again where they focus more on writing or choosing songs with the same atmosphere like the first albums. Maybe choose the producer from Horror for Hire and Cutterfly, that fits the Lordi style perfectly. :)

My album ranking:
1-3: Deadache, Monsterican Dream, Get Heavy (no particular order)
4. Arockalype
5. Monstereophonic
6. Babez for Breakfast
7-8. Killection or SFO
9. Sexorcism
10. TBONTB
Cannibal's Candy

Postby alalitsches » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:41 pm

Cannibal's Candy, the booklet is great yet very basic. The lyrics have a wooden background, next to the lyrics are the album covers, the songs would have been on. On every second page there's a cool photo of each member (might be my favourite photos in an album of them). The paper of the booklet is different this time, it is really high quality.

Horror for Hire, Like a bee to the honey, Up to no good and Cutterfly were recorded by the same guy (Janne Huotari).
Janne mixed Up to no good, the other three songs are mixed by
Rake Eskolin.
They should definitely stay with that team. That sound is the best they ever had in my opinion.
alalitsches

Postby Cannibal's Candy » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:37 pm

Cool, thank you! :)

Yeah the production on those songs except for Up to no Good sound really good!
Cannibal's Candy

Postby MarkusHasADeadache » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:54 pm

Cannibal's Candy wrote:Yeah the production on those songs except for Up to no Good sound really good!

I actually think "Up to No Good" has hands down the best sound out of those songs. :P My second favorite song on the album overall, my absolute favorite being "Cutterfly" which is honestly one of my new favorite Lordi songs period.
"I'm who I am and this is what I do!"
"In the name of the Lordi..."
Miss-Elodia is my naughty Lordi girl. <3
MarkusHasADeadache

Postby Salem » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:09 pm

Alrighty. I've given this album a few spins. First I'm gonna go ahead and compliment the actual album cover/booklet. The first time I saw the cover I wasn't really a fan. I liked the idea, but it felt a bit too crowded. Now that I hold the album in my hands, I can really appreciate the attention to detail in this art. As for the booklet, I think it was very clever to create fake album covers and -names to go with every song, completed with the release date of the album the song is supposed to be from. Gotta love how thorough they were with this concept.

The SCGs
I really loved these. Some of the better ones for sure. The first one especially was a treat, giving new life to old Lordi classics. Ruiz as a radio host was also very charming and did a fantastic job in his delivery.

Horror for Hire
Damn I love it when an album starts out with a bang. This song won me completely over right from the first scream, and I think it's one of the best on the album. The chorus could've been more interesting than just repeating the title, but I'm not really bothered by it. I'm sure this'll make a great live song.

Shake the Baby Silent
I've grown to appreciate this song quite a bit. The only thing that I don't really like about it are the random lyrics, although I am well-aware what they were going for with this. It works beautifully as a homage to Rob Zombie, but I still feel like there would've been a really good horror story to be told with a title like this. Musically it's a very solid song, Mr. L's delivery of the lyrics sounds really cool, and the baby cries are a nice touch, giving the song a bit of those creepy-vibes, especially when the song ends.

Like a Bee to the Honey
When the song titles were revealed, this felt a bit out of place, and not very Lordi-like. Now of course we all know why. I was a bit afraid of how this song would be, but all my fears were put to rest once I heard the sample. Catchy, likable, even relatable to many. Lordi certainly makes it their own, completed with a delightful impersonation of Vincent Price. It's certainly softer than what I'm used to, but the pre-chorus/chorus is so catchy that I can't help but humming this every now and then without even realising it. The sax solo deserves some praise as well. Michael Monroe really came through. I wonder how they're going to handle this part live.

Apollyon
This is the one song I can't wrap my head around. It has some really cool instrumental parts, and at times it sounds like it's going for this powerful, ancient Egypt-like vibe, only to drop the idea at the last second. The lyrics are OK, if rather forgettable. Needs a LOT more time to grow.

Blow My Fuse
The oldest-sounding song on the album. Not a fan I'm afraid. The lyrics don't really do anything for me. Mr. L is usually way better at making sex innuendos than this, or at the very least makes them more interesting than just listing them one after the other. I can appreciate the song for capturing that early to mid 70's stuffy sound, but since I've never been a big fan of said sound, I'm just gonna say it's not my cup of tea and move on.

I Dug a Hole in the Yard For You
The album picks up again. Could be the best song on the album. Catchy tunes, great lyrics with a twisted love story behind them, and on top of it all a killer-chorus that sticks into your head for days. The only downside is that guitar solo, which adds nothing and doesn't really sound that good either. Other than that, a near-perfect Lordi-song.

Zombimbo
This one also has that 70's sound, but for some reason I like this song way better than Blow My Fuse. The lyrics have a lot more substance here, and the song itself is way more catchy. Hiisi is also killing it with the bass solo.

Up to No Good
Such a lovable song. Another example of how well the band has managed to imitate the genuine sound of the era they were going for. Nothing too serious, just cheesy, catchy fun with teenager rebel-mindset. One of my more expected songs on the album based on the samples, and it didn't disappoint.

Cutterfly
Oh I love this one. I think this will be the most popular song of the album, apart from the singles. Has a classic Lordi-vibe with great lyrics and dark atmospehre. The only thing I would've done differently here would've been changing around the lyrics on the pre-chorus the second time around, just to have some more substance in the lyrics. I really love this kind of songwriting where you get in the headspace of someone twisted, like in Mary is Dead for example, and Cutterfly just left me wanting more of that, to see how the main character would react to the knowledge that his DNA will be his undoing.
Soundwise Cutterfly is pretty much perfect. One of the big highlights of the album for sure.

Evil
Going back to Demonarchy-like sound. I'd like to say that Evil pulls it off just as well, but honestly speaking this song feels like filler to me. The first one on the album that I can actually say that about. It's not even a bad song, just not memorable in any way. Like it was made because they had to represent a certain time period in the compilation with something, and not because this was what they actually wanted to make.

Scream Demon
I want to love this song so much! It comes so close to be a perfect album closer. I love how Mr. L's voice breaks at times. There's some raw emotion in his delivery. You can feel the anguish and hate the main character is feeling. But that chorus...that damned chorus is what makes this song a chore to listen to. Shake the Baby Silent, Horror for Hire and Up to No Good are all off the hook with whatever repetition they had. Maybe this song shows its full potential live, but as it is on the compilation, it falls short from being a classic that it otherwise would've deserved to be.

Overall I think this was a very solid album. They managed to capture their intended sound with every song. It was a well-though out concept, and they obviously had plenty fun doing it. Songs like Cutterfly and I Dug a Hole are sure to become Lordi classics in the long run. I hope that this experiment would encourage them to be a bit more loose with how they pick their songs for the upcoming albums.
Salem

Postby MarkusHasADeadache » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:51 pm

Salem wrote:As for the booklet, I think it was very clever to create fake album covers and -names to go with every song, completed with the release date of the album the song is supposed to be from. Gotta love how thorough they were with this concept.

Totally agree.

Salem wrote:Evil
Going back to Demonarchy-like sound. I'd like to say that Evil pulls it off just as well, but honestly speaking this song feels like filler to me. The first one on the album that I can actually say that about. It's not even a bad song, just not memorable in any way. Like it was made because they had to represent a certain time period in the compilation with something, and not because this was what they actually wanted to make.

As someone who found "Hell Has Room" on the previous album to be total filler, I think "Evil" is more or less a much better version of a song like that. So I really dig it. Definitely has a Demonarchy vibe to it.

Salem wrote:I hope that this experiment would encourage them to be a bit more loose with how they pick their songs for the upcoming albums.

I'm genuinely curious as to what the band will do going forward on the next album, for example. Especially since Mr. L has hinted in interviews at the fact that now that he's gotten a taste of this new way of making an album that he might not want to go back to how they used to do things.
MarkusHasADeadache

Postby thematinator » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:39 am

alalitsches wrote:My picture vinyl came today. Here's my track by track of the new tracks. I always try to judge if this song has the potential for being a hit back in the days because that's the concept of the album.

Horror for Hire: Has a lot of energy, the chorus is ok, maybe a bit too repetitive. Because of the energy it could have been a hit in my opinion.

Apollyon: The instrumental is sooo beautiful. The chorus is not good but it's not the intention of the song. Better than I thought. Don't know if it would have been a hit but it definitely fits as single.

Blow my fuse: The great melodies are focused on the guitars a bit instead of the vocals. The ending is very Lordi untypical and not my cup of tea but unexpected and that makes it fine. Definitely a hit!

Zombimbo: Basssolo, didn't expect that. Good chorus, overall maybe a little flat, I miss a bridge maybe. The chorus makes the hit here.

Up to no good: The chorus starts the song, very cool. I don't like the keyboard sound in the chorus and the chorus itself but the rest of the song is great. Bridge and a real solo, that combination didn't really exist on Sexorcism. I love Lordi's bridges by the way, sadly there aren't a lot yet on that album. Really, this bridge makes me addicted to this song.

Cutterfly: This chorus is amaaaazing, verse is a bit short. I really like the keyboards on this one. The solo is great, the introduction to the solo not so much. Again no bridge. That's sad. Chorus makes it a hit again but the lyrics are way too short. It's somehow a problem for me since Theaterror.

Evil: Short verses again, cool riffs. I like the chorus, it's short aswell but effective. Again no bridge, only those "evil" screams. Good start, boring in the end. Not really a hit maybe

Scream Demon: It starts with a real cool verse. By the way, this is an 80's song and Evil is from the 90's. The chorus is not my cup of tea, too repetitive. Can't see it being a hit.

Carnivore: That one is fun. Should be on the album, cause I don't have a record player in my car. It has a great chorus AND A BRIDGE AND A SOLO. Might be one of the best songs on the album.

Here are my points:

Horror for Hire: 9/10
Shake the baby silent: 7/10
Like a bee to the honey: 8/10
Apollyon: 7/10
Blow my fuse: 7/10
I dug a hole in the yard for you: 9/10
Zombimbo: 8/10
Up to no good: 8/10
Cutterfly: 9/10
Evil: 8/10
Scream Demon: 6/10
Carnivore: 9/10

Two things to add:

1) my wishes for the future:

->I love the production of Horror for Hire and Cutterfly, maybe a whole album with one of these two producers would be great.

-> I'm hoping for not so repetitive lyrics in the future. And I hope they won't cut out all bridges on the next album (on Killection there are three, on Sexorcism it was half of the songs and on Monstereophonic there was a bridge in every song except for two). I want to hear cool horror stories containing cool lyrics instead of just a few sentences.

2) my speculations about the future:

On the last SCG of the album the radio presenter says: "Yes, we will play the whole album but not yet."
As a best of mostly has more than 11 songs, maybe there will be Killection pt.2? Like with Babez and To beast, where Babez ended with "what's for dinner" and to beast starts with "dinner is served".

Does the Vinyl come with a download code?
"They Only Come Out at Night"
thematinator

Postby Rockman » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:05 am

thematinator wrote:Does the Vinyl come with a download code?

No. Or I haven't found it yet. :lol:

MarkusHasADeadache wrote:I'm genuinely curious as to what the band will do going forward on the next album, for example. Especially since Mr. L has hinted in interviews at the fact that now that he's gotten a taste of this new way of making an album that he might not want to go back to how they used to do things.

Can you link the interview? I hope the keep innovating, but hopefully with some fresh ideas. Killection no.2 might not be the best next step. Takes away the speciality of the first one.

My review is coming up nice. This album is more of a grower.
Last edited by Rockman on Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rockman

Postby MarkusHasADeadache » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:23 pm

Rockman wrote:
MarkusHasADeadache wrote:I'm genuinely curious as to what the band will do going forward on the next album, for example. Especially since Mr. L has hinted in interviews at the fact that now that he's gotten a taste of this new way of making an album that he might not want to go back to how they used to do things.

Can you link the interview?

I think it was this interview.
MarkusHasADeadache

Postby Monsta » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:00 pm

As expected this was a really fun album! It has a variety to it which make it natural for people to have really differing views on some songs since they touch upon more musical styles than they use to. The only thing I can't stop thinking about though is the paradox of Lordi doing old school hard rock music when that's pretty much all they've done their career. There are some that stand out of course, but overall I wouldn't be able to point out what era 75% of the percent of the songs are supposed to be from :lol: It's not a bad thing, but doing 80s hard rock is kind of their schtick already so the theme is a bit amusing. I still like the concept though! The radio show works as a great red thread and when listening to it back to back it's neatly disposed. There's been a lot of thought going in to this album and it shows! Some thoughts on individual songs:

Appolyon
I heavily disagree with what people have been saying overall about this song, I think it's the best on the record and one of Lordi's most innovative songs, perhaps ever. With "Demonarchy" they definitely took a new route musiscally with a heavier and more complex sound, but I'd still say this is their most experimental and fresh musical turn yet. It has that rock opera vibe that suits the band REALLY well, I get connotations to both Alice Cooper and Queen. Strings, brass and piano is a great addition to the Lordi sound and I would love to have more of this in the future. I'm assuming we'll never get to hear it live but oh what a dream.

Zombimbo
It's a real catchy tune which unfortunately takes a hit by the concept and its production. I can't help but think how the chorus would sound with a modern production - it has a certain "Dance Macabre" by Ghost feeling to it. Might be fun live though!

Evil
Feels like a scrapped demo from Sexorcism. I get why it's appealing to some but I just find it very boring, just as I did with that entire album. In the same way Up To No Good feels like a re-write of "Studs'n'Leather" from Babez for Breakfast. I get that it's sort of a Twisted Sister parody but its corny-ness is just too over the top for me. It also has somewhat of a Michael Wagner production to it which makes it loose all edge. These two are my least favourite songs on the album.

Scream Demon & Like a Bee To The Honey:
Together with Appolyon I'd say these are my favourites of the album. Jean Beauvoir is a great fit for Lordi and I would hope this isn't the last collaboration we see with him. "Like a bee" has that insanely catchy chorus, and although I know it's not originally their song I think that the Lordi "sound" makes it groovier than it was before (that without having heard the original demo of course) The Vincent Price-voice and saxophone solo helps making it one of the most fun Lordi songs to this date, in my opinion. "Scream Demon" is a song that feels really old school-Lordi, particularly in the verse and pre-choruses. Someone mentioned Mr Lordis singing on this one and it might be just that that gives me the those vibes, he sounds a lot like on Get Heavy here. I don't agree with some that the song loses its momentum in the choruses, I think they're very climactic and the song overall makes a good closing track.

A song I wasn't sold on in the beginning but is growing on me is "Horror For Hire". The chorus has a bit of "Creatures of the night" by KISS in it. I think it will work very well as a concert opener. All in all a solid album, right now I'd place it as their best since Deadache!
Monsta

Postby Cannibal's Candy » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:39 pm

Monsta wrote: In the same way Up To No Good feels like a re-write of "Studs'n'Leather" from Babez for Breakfast. I get that it's sort of a Twisted Sister parody but its corny-ness is just too over the top for me. It also has somewhat of a Michael Wagner production to it which makes it loose all edge. These two are my least favourite songs on the album.

That's why it sounded familiar to me! Completely forgot Studs n Leather. Although I would say its better than Studs, you're right with the Michael Wagner production, it's not really good and too "lowbudget" 80s.
Cannibal's Candy

Postby MarkusHasADeadache » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:09 am

Monsta wrote:Zombimbo
It's a real catchy tune which unfortunately takes a hit by the concept and its production. I can't help but think how the chorus would sound with a modern production - it has a certain "Dance Macabre" by Ghost feeling to it. Might be fun live though!

My thoughts exactly. I know the intent is to capture the sound of 70s disco rock but intentionally shitty production is still shitty production. The song itself is damn catchy though, and I like it a lot. And to say something positive about the existing production, I do actually love the keyboard sound they chose. It's so wonderfully cheesy. :mrgreen:
MarkusHasADeadache

Postby Cannibal's Candy » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:09 pm

I still can’t decide whether to get the vinyl or the cd...
Are all the cool images and pictures of the CD also in the vinyl ?
Cannibal's Candy

Postby M.H » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:02 pm

Here's my thoughts about some songs.

SCGs
Cool radio show thing going on! Ralph and Hella are very good voice actors. First SCG was really fun. :D

Horror for Hire
Great opening song for the album and concerts. But C-part is little odd.

Like a Bee to the Honey
Great 80’s song! One of the best songs on the album. Nicelly delayed backing vocals on the choruses.
Snare sound is great for this song.

Up to No Good
I think it’s my favorite song of the album. Cool backing shouts. Lot of Twisted Sister vibes. I like very much this one melody line in the pre chorus: ”telling me that I’m a fool” Only minus is C-part, it’s little bit odd and doesn’t fit to other parts.

Cutterfly
Second best song. Sound of keyboards and vocals on the verses brings me the Deadache -atmosphere, but backing vocals on bridge then sounds like from Arockalypse.

I Dug a Hole in the Yard
Song itself is good but I’m kinda bored of this ”Mikko Karmila -sound”, specially on drums. Even though that’s the sound of modern metal today, which I like too but still.. Everything sounds too bright and ”too perfect” for me. And for example, in my opinion the drum sound of Apollyon doesn’t fit to that song.

I hope that Lordi will go (with the next album) somehow back to that 80’s sound, like on Up To No Good / Like A Bee. I like also this modern Lordi a lot, but not with the ”really really modern mixed sound”. (Background info: I’m sound engineer myself. ;) )

Evil
Lot’s of Demonarchy there.

Apollyon, Zombimbo, Blow My Fuse
These songs were biggest shocks and surprises when I heard them first time. :D But after few listenings they’re catchy and pretty cool tunes. And last two have really authentic feeling. (even though songs are played to the click track which was not used back then..)

So let's end that like this; there's more good than bad. So it's a good album! :)
M.H

Postby MarkusHasADeadache » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:05 pm

M.H wrote:I hope that Lordi will go (with the next album) somehow back to that 80’s sound, like on Up To No Good / Like A Bee. I like also this modern Lordi a lot, but not with the ”really really modern mixed sound”. (Background info: I’m sound engineer myself. ;) )

"Up to No Good" to my ears pretty much executes the throwback 80s sound "Babez for Breakfast" was going for, only better. Babez is one of my fave Lordi albums, and I love the vibe of it, but the mixing is a bit off to my ears - like the sound levels aren't what they should be, with certain instruments drowning out others. "Up to No Good" sounds perfectly balanced to my ears, and at the same time perfectly captures the sound, mood and vibe of the kinda melodic 80s metal I most love.

Funny enough though I still think soundwise Lordi sound their best working with Mikko Karmila. So whether the band went all out and did another throwback 80s album, or stuck to a more modern sound, I'd be happy. With the more modern sound though I'd still definitely crave for 80s style catchy, melodic songwriting. "Slashion Model Girls" is a perfect example of the best of both of those worlds. More of that, please! :mrgreen:
MarkusHasADeadache

Postby Rockman » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:55 pm

Many record spins later it’s time to gather some thoughts about the album. First of all, I like the concept, but I had my doubts, will it work. Overall it works really well. When listening the album, you gotta always keep in mind the concept: Why the songs are so different, why some of the mixes sounds like ’’shit’’, like some people here have mentioned. But let’s examine the songs!

SCG10
I love the idea of a radio show, although in my opinion it contradicts the idea of a compilation album. The story is carried very well and the voice acting is great. Maybe sometimes it feels like the script tries too hard to be ’’edgy’’ with so many ’fucks’ and ’shits’. The first one was the best with the imitations of AC/DC, Judas Priest, Ozzy Osbourne, King Diamond, Guns ’n’ Roses and one that I didn’t recognize (Can anyone else recognize?). Great overall.

Horror For Hire 8,5
A great banger to open the album! Many have criticized for lyrically too simple chorus, but to me it works, doesn’t need anything more. All together lyrics paints a really interesting picture. To me the song structure on this has so many similarities to KISS’ Creatures Of The Night in a good way. So 80’s song, but to my ear the mix sounds pretty modern. One of my favourites of the album and a familiar Lordi-esque song.

Shake The Baby Silent 8+
This song has grew on me more. I loved the first time I heard, when this was released as a single, but it grew a bit stale by time. But now within the album concept it bloomed again to it’s full glory. It’s no surprise this is straight from the playbook of Rob Zombie. The main riff is great, almost making me dance and the electronic drums bring some variability to the album. Lyrics are fun even when they are about nothing. Towards the end the chorus starts to feel a bit too repetitive. The mixing is really bringing the 90’s industrial metal-feel. Like this one.

Like A Bee To A Honey 9
A banger with many hidden little tricks, like the many vocal harmonies on the chorus, which are added more on every chorus. Hiisi and his(?) rolling groovy bass is the unsung hero of this song, really carrying the song with drums. Saxophone solo is great variation to the solo catalogue of Lordi and adds a great layer. I wonder why this was never recorded by KISS, but all better for Lordi. Vincent Price-tribute is a nice add to those cheesy lines. Really AOR, sounds much like Journey to me. Maybe it’s the keyboards, i dunno. One of my favourites of the album

Apollyon 7+
Not your typical Lordi, but works for me in the concept of the album. On any other album this would’ve really been an odd one. I like that it’s starts in major with the orchestrations, gives a majestic feel, like you’re going to a journey. This song is imitating KISS’ The Elder-album, but this is better than anything on that album (excluding A World Without Heroes, one of my favourite KISS songs). I also get some Kansas- and Rush-vibes with the prog-riffs. Amen is really getting his solos here on a new level, really innovative. Like the mix on this, although doesn’t remind like 80’s song. Pretty modern sounding. I sometimes find myself singing the chorus. Great experiment from Lordi and I like the song, but I hope this is the last one of these.

Blow My Fuse 7
70’s KISS song all the way. The riffing and the solos sounds like this could be from Rock And Roll Over. Pretty Gene-like lyrics, simple and sleazy. In the context of the song the mix works, although not my favourite. Real crunchy-sounding guitars and bass. Shame that the Hammond-organs come in the end of the song. Would’ve love to hear a solo with it. Not my favourite, but not shite.

I Dug A Hole In The Yard For You 9,5
The modern song with the elements of modern Lordi. Great story, heavy riffing, awesome pre-chorus and chorus! I mentioned before, that this sounds like it was sew together from different parts, that doesn’t sound quite right. That’s pretty much the only complaint. Really catchy, groovy, many composition tricks, that keeps the song fresh all the way to the end. And Mikko Karmila’s production is the best! So clean and heavy. I wouldn’t mind, if he’s the producer for the rest of Lordi’s career. Best one of the album in my opinion!

Zombimbo 8,5
Nice 70’s disco song with appropriate mix, although the vocal mix sucks ass major time on this. Only mixing choice I don’t like. I love disco, so this is right up my alley. The story is great, fitting to the song. Hiisi’s bass lines and solo are tasty and carry the song all the way. Amen had great solo on this also. As a one-off this works. And again, borrowing from KISS with the guitar part from I Was Made For Lovin’ You. A real fun song!

Up To No Good 7
Very basic 80’s song from Lordi, borrowing from Mötley Crüe, Twisted Sister and Alice Cooper. Pre-chorus is the star moment on this to me. This one reminded me a bit of Studs and Leather, same kind of melody. Chorus is very basic 80’s. It’s okay, but nothing phenomenal. Also many on this board have said that the mix on this is the best one, but I don’t really like it. Sounds like a Michael Wagener-mix and to me those albums (BFB and TBONTB) are the worst they have ever sounded. The drums are weak and echoy. The song itself is pretty good, but to me the mix ruins it a bit.

Cutterfly 9
This is a gig stable! Greatly structured song with very bombastic chorus. I could see this being in some 80’s movie soundtrack. Hella’s keyboards are the major carrier of this song and her spotlight time. I would love to hear more these kind of songs from Lordi in the future. Amen’s solo is really one of my favourites. Amen is solo-wise on another level on this album. Lyrically it’s interestingly structured and tells a great horror story. One of my favourites of this album.

Evil 8
I had high hopes for this song before the release with the hype on this album. To me this is a less great version of Scare Force One or something from Demonarchy. It goes fast, it goes hard and heavy, but it really doesn’t give me anything special. The chorus is good, but all the other parts of the songs are just there beating hard and heavy. Although I have to say the breakdown (starting from 2:55) is a great headbangin part and I love that. The mix on this is great and suits to the song well. Every player are giving their best. All the pieces are there, but the great coherent song idea is somehow missing. A nice song none the less.

Scream Demon 7-
This song screams Alice Cooper’s Constrictor starting from the keyboard bass sound. Fits well to the 80’s style, but the song is same to me as Haunting Season: Great album closer but as a song pretty average. Mr.Lordi is imitating well some of the mannerisms of Alice Cooper on this. The chorus is okay, but never at any moment really rise to me. It just is. Not my favourite.

All in all, i liked this album very much. Not straight to my favourites, but not the worst. To me this one is better than the previous album Sexorcism. The concept carries well through the end and is nice change for the regular albums. I’d like to hear more innovative album ideas from them, but maybe not Killection 2 right after this one. Album has many songs, structures and ideas that I don’t think I have not found yet, so this will be in my cd-player very long. The album booklet is beautiful and the fictional album covers are great! I hope they make some of these as t-shirts.

Here are the album ranking for me, although I maybe need to revaluate the albums, maybe the order may change. On this ranking it’s just a song-based ranking.

Get Heavy - 7,86
The Monsterican Dream - 7,68
The Arockalypse - 8,09
Deadache - 8,02
Babez For Breakfast - 7,61
To Beast Or Not To Beast - 7,85
Scare Force One - 8,4
Monstereophonic - 8,4
Sexorcism - 7,91
Killection – 8,06

1. Scare Force One
2. Monstereophonic