Monsterboard

About their names?

Discussion about band members

Moderators: psyanide, Hemitys, Nightmare Wings Hell

About their names?

Postby Fairy Of Darkness » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:17 am

Hi there.

I have a question that (I think) fits best in the finnish part of the forum.
But since I don't speak finnish, I hope someone can answer my question here =)

I was wondering where the names of the Lordi-members come from.
Are they made up, or are they related to something or someone?

Thanks for helping me, anyone who answers :D

Greenthings, Fairy Of Darkness
The Devil lost his mind with all that HipHop Shit!
My Monsters Keep Me Company - Always
Fairy Of Darkness

Postby S92 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:09 am

I know that Kita means jaw, or mouth in Finnish, and Kalma means death. Lordi means lord. Awa got her name from "Be Aware". OX is a bull, which is similar to an ox. Amen got his name from Amen-Ra, an Egyptian mummy.

The others, I'm not so sure about.

S92
"Is that you, Roberto?"
S92

Postby monsterboy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:43 pm

G-stealer comes frome Gene the replaser (gene simons of KISS), Enary is a transformation of her real name, and I think magnum means a gun or something but i'm not sure
Drummer for Solitude Within
Just support your band that you dig.That´s your "job", That's what makes the rockmachine rolling.
I LOVE OTUS! Proud to be a Lordi fan!
monsterboy

Postby PEML94 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:55 pm

monsterboy wrote: I think magnum means a gun or something but i'm not sure

Yes, magnum is a type of gun.
PEML94

Postby Fairy Of Darkness » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:08 pm

Ok, thanks everyone!
So most is finnish. I want to create my own monster-name.. but I guess I first have to think of some caracteristic of mine to translate.

O, by the way. Do you know a good translator that can translate dutch or english to finnish. I dont know any finnish words, so I cannot check if it is right if I translate on just any website.

Thanks again!
Fairy Of Darkness

Postby monsterboy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:34 pm

I'm not sure If there's a good (online) translator. But you can always ask a real finish people to translate. or MAYBE the topic: good finnish online dictionary in miselanious babeling can help you. :D
Last edited by monsterboy on Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just support your band that you dig.That´s your "job", That's what makes the rockmachine rolling.
monsterboy

Postby Isa » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:22 pm

Just evitate google 'cos their translation are :lol:
Our Daddy is the best 'cos he sincerly love us
Isa

Postby PEML94 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:26 pm

Isa wrote:Just evitate google 'cos their translation are :lol:

yep, just go too www.google.com , search for "google translate" and press on the first link.
Copy the link too MB, and put it in the translation-"box", choose language, and press "translate", and then you have the hole website translated :D
PEML94

Postby monsterboy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:13 pm

But don't trust google translate for 100% becouse sometimes it translate like this: me good speak english. :wink: :)
monsterboy

Postby Hemitys » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:17 pm

Here are some stories behind the names, taken from the Mie oon Lordi-book. So, they might not be 100% accurate (:twisted:) but I hope this clears things a bit.

Mr. Lordi
The name was invented by Pete Riski's (the guy who has directed most of their videos) mom. When Mr. Lordi was young he wore chains, big earrings, big rings etc so when he walked around, he was making a bit of a noise. So when Mr. Lordi was visiting their place, Pete's mom used to say "there comes our Lordi again!". The other story is that Pete's mom was visiting Mr. Lordi's flat, there was a big mess and Pete's mom said "you're living like a some Lordi around here!". It's a bit difficult to explain but I think you get the idea.

G-Stealer
This was explained already. First he was called Gene Replacer. The word "Gene" was also a reference to science fiction. After a while they realized the word "Replacer" doesn't fit, so they changed it to "Stealer". But of course Gene Simmons can't be stealed, so they changed it to G-Stealer. I know, this IS a weird story...

Amen
After some transformations they came up with the idea of a mummy. The name "Amen" came across within a dream, and Amen has later said that maybe it had something to do with the fact that he is interested in Egypt and it's history.

Kita
He was first called "Jaws" but the drummer wanted that the name would be in finnish. Amen suddenly came up with the name "Kita", and that was pretty much it.

Enary
Her middle name is "Inari" and when you pronounce it differently, it sound like "Enary". Inari is also a huge lake in Lapland.

Magnum
There isn't a story behind the actual name in the book, but he wanted to be a cyborg and I think the name came after. It has a bit of industrial vibe.

Kalma
First he was called "Kuolo" (which pretty much means "death" in english) but it was changed to "Kalma" (which pretty much means... well, "death" in english). Kita didn't like the name...

Awa
Mr. Lordi wanted that the name had something to do with ghosts. The first idea was Maria, then Mana, but it didn't quite fit. Then, by coincidence, our lovely keyboard player was watching the TV show Nip/Tuck, which has a character called Ava. The character was a manipulating feminist, and Awa was impressed. Mr. Lordi suggested that they used "w" instead of "v" in the middle so it would look even better. Later on Awa came up with the cath phrase "Be Aware".

OX
When they were rehearsing with the new bass player, Mr. Lordi noticed that the guy has the physical structure of a bull, and he plays his bass like a raging bull. And as you know, bull=ox... do the math.
A Monster Heart Is A Hell To Tear Apart
Hemitys
Site Admin

Postby monsterboy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:27 pm

Hmm interesting :roll:

thx :)
monsterboy

Postby Sooophie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:43 pm

Thanks you very much Hemitys
Sooophie

Postby Police Line Do Not Cross » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:09 pm

Hemitys wrote:Enary
Her middle name is "Inari" and when you pronounce it differently, it sound like "Enary". Inari is also a huge lake in Lapland.

Yay, my middle name is also "Inari" :D
Well, I knew all those stories, but it would be interesting to know where did Magnum's name came...
Police Line Do Not Cross

Postby AAore » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:11 pm

From the magnum series! :P (justa' kiddin')
Last edited by AAore on Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel Good.
"They always survive while I lose everything"
AAore

Postby Mooneyman » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:11 pm

Incredibly interesting! Thank you very much for a great explanation, very appreciated. :D
Mooneyman

Postby Valnum » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:11 pm

Hemitys wrote:Here are some stories behind the names, taken from the Mie oon Lordi-book. So, they might not be 100% accurate (:twisted:) but I hope this clears things a bit.

Mr. Lordi
The name was invented by Pete Riski's (the guy who has directed most of their videos) mom. When Mr. Lordi was young he wore chains, big earrings, big rings etc so when he walked around, he was making a bit of a noise. So when Mr. Lordi was visiting their place, Pete's mom used to say "there comes our Lordi again!". The other story is that Pete's mom was visiting Mr. Lordi's flat, there was a big mess and Pete's mom said "you're living like a some Lordi around here!". It's a bit difficult to explain but I think you get the idea.

I have read another story: "Lordi" was the nickname given to Mr Lordi by his grandma.

Mr Lordi, could you let us know?
It's time to get heavy!
Valnum

Postby Sooophie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:36 pm

Valnum wrote:I have read another story: "Lordi" was the nickname given to Mr Lordi by his grandma.

I have read that it was his aunt. I don't know what to believe :lol:
Sooophie

Postby Hemitys » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:36 pm

Sooophie wrote:
Valnum wrote:I have read another story: "Lordi" was the nickname given to Mr Lordi by his grandma.

I have read that it was his aunt. I don't know what to believe :lol:

The book says it was definitely Pete Riski's mom Hilkka who came up with the name.
A Monster Heart Is A Hell To Tear Apart
Hemitys
Site Admin

Postby martinmaniac » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:35 pm

-Both are correct, both of those things happened. She called me Lordi all the time and it just stuck. So yes, she´s the one to blame hahaha! After that some of my schoolmates called me Lordi Hardcore like for a year. But the latter part didnt stuck. Lordi means lord in finnish, like as in lord vader.

L

Mr Lordi's answer to me
martinmaniac

Postby Sooophie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:19 pm

OK, thanks for these precisions ;)
Sooophie

Postby Fairy Of Darkness » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:50 pm

Thank you soooo much.
I really want to buy the book one day.. but it is only in finnish, and I first got to have money.
But many many thanks!!! <3
Fairy Of Darkness

Postby anushka » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:11 pm

Fairy Of Darkness wrote:Thank you soooo much.
I really want to buy the book one day.. but it is only in finnish, and I first got to have money.

It´s not expensive. I bought it in Helsinki in November last year and it costed aroud 5 € :wink:
"Hella's Forsaken Dolls Team"
anushka

Location: In Monsterland with my only one egyptian god ^^// Czech rep., F28

Postby judge death » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:31 pm

Thanks Hemitys for writing this. :D
Theeee crimeee issssss lifeeeeee, theeee ssseeenteeeenceeeee isss DEATH!
I´m heeereeeee to cureeee you all from your ssssinnssssssss, I´m your ssssalvation.
judge death

Postby Fairy Of Darkness » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:33 pm

anushka wrote:
Fairy Of Darkness wrote:Thank you soooo much.

It´s not expensive. I bought it in Helsinki in November last year and it costed aroud 5 € :wink:

Really??? I found it on ebay for like 70 euro's :S Maybe I do something wrong XD
But I'm not really often in Helsinki as you might understand :P
Ohh... Maybe I could ask some of the merch-people if they could bring one if they are on the new tour =)
Haahhh... I'm smart XD
Fairy Of Darkness

Postby Deadly Kid » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:04 am

"Kalma" means "Don't Stay" in Turkish :P
Deadly Kid

Next

Return to Members