Monsterboard

How to sing like Mr. Lordi?

Discussion about band members

Moderators: psyanide, Hemitys, Nightmare Wings Hell

How to sing like Mr. Lordi?

Postby monstertom » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:39 am

How does Mr. Lordi get his amazing growly voice? I try to imitate it but I really can't, if anyone has any tips, please tell me, I want to be able to do it, thanks c:
MESSAGE ME I'M NICE I PROMISE
monstertom

Re: How to sing like Mr. Lordi?

Postby MarkusHasADeadache » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:15 pm

From what I've understood from interviews, Mr. Lordi sort of gurgles phlem or slime he has in his throat. As he himself has put it, he has to have sort of a "chronic flu" to get the voice and smoking helps it. When I was your age I of course wanted to imitate him as well but the basic growling didn't work. Over time I figured out the trick is to just do as it sounds Mr. Lordi does based on those interviews - drink liquids or something and gather as much moisture in your throat as you can, and just sort of gurgle and use that to generate the voice. Don't growl as much as sing but just make sure the slimy aspect of the voice stays. That's really the best way I can put it since I'm no expert - I just speaking from first-hand experience of what's worked for me. :P
Miss-Elodia - my life partner in crime. <3
"I'm who I am and this is what I do!"
"In the name of the Lordi..."
MarkusHasADeadache

Postby monstertom » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:48 pm

The way I nearly do it is have a raspy and growly voice at the same time, I'm 14 so I'm not going to smoke but the liquidy thing doesnt work for me because I cant get it right, but drinking pepsi and burping, then trying to keep that same but singing if you get what I mean.
MESSAGE ME I'M NICE I PROMISE
monstertom

Postby Dr. Sin » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:13 pm

Smoking is the main ingredient of Big L's singing voice. So I recommend not to try to get yourself the same kind of singing voice. :P
Dr. Sin

Return to Members