Monsterboard

Kalma on the board!

Discussion about band members

Moderators: psyanide, Hemitys, Nightmare Wings Hell

Postby Mooneyman » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:54 pm

OX is a perfectly good bassist. He can work a crowd brilliantly and if you look closely he even gives OX as a character 'body language' at the gigs. He can generally work a live show very well, he plays fine on albums. There's nothing wrong with him. From what I understand he's also a genuinely decent guy who gets on very well with the other members.

Kalma had a reason to leave. I'm not entirely certain what that reason is, but you might as well just suck it up, because he did! Lordi try to keep somewhat of a story to them and Kalma just reappearing wouldn't work too well.
On top of that OX's character fits far better into the band in my personal opinion.

You can't say somebody in music is better than somebody else. It's an acquired taste. You can't say they're statistically better, you can't say they're logically better. Creativity can't be measured like that. It's an opinion. Creative markets and their success are near enough BUILT on people's opinions.

Just my two cents. (Closer to ten really...)
Mooneyman
 
Posts: 1409
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:23 pm

Postby TheBear » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:25 pm

Thomas wrote:
Nazgul wrote:I wonder if Lordi asks Kalma to get back in their band would they accept? ^^


As Mr. Lordi said once: "Once you're out of a band, there's no way back"


True.
Did all of you forgot Kalma did most of the Arockalypse?
I guess GH and TMD would be almost the same with OX. It's the overall style of LoRDi music that changes.
Image
User avatar
TheBear
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 1:51 pm
Location: Republic of Srpska, B&H, ExYUG

Postby PEML94 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:01 pm

Mooneyman wrote:Kalma had a reason to leave. I'm not entirely certain what that reason is


I read on Wikipedia that he quited because of his back. Dont know if it's true, just thought I could tell you :roll:
User avatar
PEML94
 
Posts: 908
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: Sweden|Gender: Female|Age: 18

Postby Mooneyman » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:08 pm

The rumour I keep hearing is he had started a family... :lol: I also heard one that he went into a relationship with Enary though so...yeah, they tend to vary. :lol: :lol:
Mooneyman
 
Posts: 1409
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:23 pm

Postby martinmaniac » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:57 pm

I found his "testament" once. He left for private reasons, we don't know, so those you have mentioned are just people with too much spare time to come up with ideas that become rumours. The fact is that it for sure was'nt his back lol :lol:
User avatar
martinmaniac
 
Posts: 1134
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:39 pm
Location: metal metal land

Postby Nightmare Wings Hell » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:59 pm

Mooneyman wrote:The rumour I keep hearing is he had started a family... :lol: I also heard one that he went into a relationship with Enary though so...yeah, they tend to vary. :lol: :lol:


Wasn't that rumor with Amen and Enary? Not to start up ol' things again, but that's what I recall reading.
Actually I'm a Plumber.
User avatar
Nightmare Wings Hell
Moderator
 
Posts: 1761
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:18 pm
Location: Ace's Alcohol Cabinet

Postby Mooneyman » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 pm

I heard both... :lol: Quite frankly, Lordi fans make up shit all the time... :lol:
Mooneyman
 
Posts: 1409
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:23 pm

Postby Nightmare Wings Hell » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:11 pm

Mooneyman wrote:I heard both... :lol: Quite frankly, Lordi fans make up shit all the time... :lol:


I guess, like the time people thought Awa and Mr. Lordi were married. I mean, really? :lol:

Anyway people, let's all remember Kalma only played on 2 albums. All of Get Heavy is Magnum's work. Playing bass is a tricky devil. I'm not deriding it in anyway, it is a hard instrument to learn to play, and the people playing it know they can barely be heard over the keyboards, guitars, drums and vocals. But try to play a song WITHOUT a bass, and hear how just about every song looses that extra OOMPH. Be it Magnum, Kalma, or Ox, all 3 of them bought something new and great in their playing for Lordi. :wink:
Actually I'm a Plumber.
User avatar
Nightmare Wings Hell
Moderator
 
Posts: 1761
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:18 pm
Location: Ace's Alcohol Cabinet

Postby Thomas » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:53 pm

Nightmare Wings Hell wrote:
Mooneyman wrote:I heard both... :lol: Quite frankly, Lordi fans make up shit all the time... :lol:


I guess, like the time people thought Awa and Mr. Lordi were married. I mean, really? :lol:

Anyway people, let's all remember Kalma only played on 2 albums. All of Get Heavy is Magnum's work. Playing bass is a tricky devil. I'm not deriding it in anyway, it is a hard instrument to learn to play, and the people playing it know they can barely be heard over the keyboards, guitars, drums and vocals. But try to play a song WITHOUT a bass, and hear how just about every song looses that extra OOMPH. Be it Magnum, Kalma, or Ox, all 3 of them bought something new and great in their playing for Lordi. :wink:


Is it true that they had to edit the bass in Get Heavy a lot because it did not sound good?

And, you say the BASS is a hard instrument to play? Try the guitar.. :roll:
User avatar
Thomas
 
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Norway

Postby martinmaniac » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:04 pm

Thomas wrote:
Nightmare Wings Hell wrote:
Mooneyman wrote:I heard both... :lol: Quite frankly, Lordi fans make up shit all the time... :lol:


I guess, like the time people thought Awa and Mr. Lordi were married. I mean, really? :lol:

Anyway people, let's all remember Kalma only played on 2 albums. All of Get Heavy is Magnum's work. Playing bass is a tricky devil. I'm not deriding it in anyway, it is a hard instrument to learn to play, and the people playing it know they can barely be heard over the keyboards, guitars, drums and vocals. But try to play a song WITHOUT a bass, and hear how just about every song looses that extra OOMPH. Be it Magnum, Kalma, or Ox, all 3 of them bought something new and great in their playing for Lordi. :wink:


Is it true that they had to edit the bass in Get Heavy a lot because it did not sound good?

And, you say the BASS is a hard instrument to play? Try the guitar.. :roll:


that is a rumour. And I know who started it :roll: well, bass can be played simple, but alo quite difficult ;) RATM is not so easy on bass at all, and RHCP aswell :) but let's not get off-topic :lol:
User avatar
martinmaniac
 
Posts: 1134
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:39 pm
Location: metal metal land

Postby Hemitys » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:08 pm

martinmaniac wrote:
Thomas wrote:Is it true that they had to edit the bass in Get Heavy a lot because it did not sound good?


that is a rumour. And I know who started it :roll:


A rumour? That's a fact, even the official Lordi book says so. The producer of the album himself had said that to Mr. Lordi and even suggested that Mr. Lordi would play the bass tracks so they could skip the editing process.

And for Kalma's departure, you should read his last letter. Try to google "Kalma's testament". The book also said that the biggest reason why he left was his family. Kalma has several kids and that time, Lordi wasn't such a successful band. He had to make a difficult decision and he chose his family. There was no bad blood between him and the band so you can forget those stupid rumours.
A Monster Heart Is A Hell To Tear Apart
User avatar
Hemitys
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2063
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 4:42 am

Postby martinmaniac » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:27 pm

really? Didn't know that actually. And yeah, all information we have is what Kalma's testament says :)
User avatar
martinmaniac
 
Posts: 1134
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:39 pm
Location: metal metal land

Postby Stude » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:47 pm

Hemitys wrote:
martinmaniac wrote:
that is a rumour. And I know who started it :roll:


A rumour? That's a fact, even the official Lordi book says so.


Yeah, think about that, martin, Magnum was so fcking bad with his bass that he was SIX years in Lordi. So, the fact we got - people, who can't play, play in Lordi. 8)
You're my heroin.
User avatar
Stude
 
Posts: 1390
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:44 am
Location: Finland

Postby Hemitys » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:29 pm

Stude wrote:Yeah, think about that, martin, Magnum was so fcking bad with his bass that he was SIX years in Lordi. So, the fact we got - people, who can't play, play in Lordi. 8)


It's different thing to play around your bass in rehearsal than to actually go to a real studio with a real producer. That's the point where bands usually take notice if some of it's members are not good enough. I'm not saying they dropped him off just because of that - even Amen has had problems during recordings - but it was on the reasons.

You can try to defence your "buddy" as much as you want (as you have done in the past) but there's no point in denying facts.
A Monster Heart Is A Hell To Tear Apart
User avatar
Hemitys
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2063
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 4:42 am

Postby Police Line Do Not Cross » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Hemitys wrote:blaa blaa...but there's no point in denying facts.


And how do you know that that's a fact? Because Mr.L said that? How can you know that he didn't talk shit?

In my opinion Magnum is ass- kickin' bassist, I don't care what you or others say.
User avatar
Police Line Do Not Cross
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:33 pm
Location: Tampere, Finland

Postby Stude » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:03 pm

And I'm absolutely sure that you know every single thing what happened 'cos you are everyone's "buddy".
You're my heroin.
User avatar
Stude
 
Posts: 1390
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:44 am
Location: Finland

Postby martinmaniac » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:03 pm

well, my bad, I have never had it confirmed. And yeah, as a guitarist, I myself know the feelin of "peole are listening to you now" or "you are bein recorded", which can distract and become quite annoying :lol: But I'm not denying facts.

PLDNC, how do you know? You have'nt seen him playing live, so we don't know much about that...
User avatar
martinmaniac
 
Posts: 1134
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:39 pm
Location: metal metal land

Postby Police Line Do Not Cross » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:07 pm

martinmaniac wrote:PLDNC, how do you know? You have'nt seen him playing live, so we don't know much about that...


I have heard his bass playing from a song, so I really know when I heard a good playing.
User avatar
Police Line Do Not Cross
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:33 pm
Location: Tampere, Finland

Postby Hemitys » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:07 pm

martinmaniac wrote:PLDNC, how do you know? You have'nt seen him playing live, so we don't know much about that...


I also wanna see the answer for this one, but let the Magnum-bablbubl continue in it's own thread. This one is for Kalma.
A Monster Heart Is A Hell To Tear Apart
User avatar
Hemitys
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2063
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 4:42 am

Postby Police Line Do Not Cross » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:11 pm

Hemitys wrote:This one is for Kalma.


Oh really? And you can see the answer if you read this topic.
User avatar
Police Line Do Not Cross
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:33 pm
Location: Tampere, Finland

Postby Hemitys » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:18 pm

Police Line Do Not Cross wrote:
Hemitys wrote:This one is for Kalma.


Oh really? And you can see the answer if you read this topic.


We posted at the same time, take a closer look.
A Monster Heart Is A Hell To Tear Apart
User avatar
Hemitys
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2063
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 4:42 am

Postby Police Line Do Not Cross » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:22 pm

Hemitys wrote:
Police Line Do Not Cross wrote:
Hemitys wrote:This one is for Kalma.


Oh really? And you can see the answer if you read this topic.


We posted at the same time, take a closer look.


Take that yourself! But now, I'm interested to know, why do you think that Mr.L talks true?

EDIT:

Were YOU in the studio? Or were you in the studio when the basses were fixed? If you say No, how could you know what are the facts and what aren't?
User avatar
Police Line Do Not Cross
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:33 pm
Location: Tampere, Finland

Postby Hemitys » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:49 pm

Police Line Do Not Cross wrote:
Hemitys wrote:
Police Line Do Not Cross wrote:
Hemitys wrote:This one is for Kalma.


Oh really? And you can see the answer if you read this topic.


We posted at the same time, take a closer look.


Take that yourself!


Seriously... what? PM in FINNISH if you want to continue this discussion. I can't understand what you are trying to say.

AND LIKE I SAID, this thread is for Kalma. End of that. Period.
A Monster Heart Is A Hell To Tear Apart
User avatar
Hemitys
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2063
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 4:42 am

Postby martinmaniac » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:58 pm

I wish I had some popcorn when I'm reading your discussion. Good entertainment :lol:
User avatar
martinmaniac
 
Posts: 1134
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:39 pm
Location: metal metal land

Postby Police Line Do Not Cross » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:59 pm

martinmaniac wrote:I wish I had some popcorn when I'm reading your discussion. Good entertainment :lol:


Very good. And I meant when you said "take a closer look" that YOU: take a closer look.
User avatar
Police Line Do Not Cross
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:33 pm
Location: Tampere, Finland

PreviousNext

Return to Members


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests