Monsterboard

GWAR Mastermind Oderus Urungus passed away.

Go here when you want to talk about something that has nothing to do with LORDI.

Moderators: Hemitys, psyanide, Nightmare Wings Hell

GWAR Mastermind Oderus Urungus passed away.

Postby Nightmare Wings Hell » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:57 am

As some of you may already know, the Scumdog of the Universe has departed back to his home planet.

Goodnight Sweet Prince.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/gwar-f ... ead-at-50/
Actually I'm a Plumber.
Nightmare Wings Hell

Re: GWAR Mastermind Oderus Urungus passed away.

Postby korovnikovd » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:48 am

I don't know what to say, I never liked him, but I'm not even thrilled with his death. How I cried after Otus passed away and how I don't care now.. But he left a big trail of his work, though I'm not sure that a lot of people will remember him after years.
korovnikovd

Postby Mooneyman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:16 pm

korovnikovd wrote:I don't know what to say, I never liked him, but I'm not even thrilled with his death. How I cried after Otus passed away and how I don't care now.. But he left a big trail of his work, though I'm not sure that a lot of people will remember him after years.

:roll:

I knew we'd start off with comments like the above. Personally, I've grown to have respect for the man, far away from my younger years' ignorance. While I never cared and still don't for the music (thrash really isn't my 'thing'. I get it, but I don't fancy it.) the more you look into his work, the more intelligent the satire becomes. Oderus was a man who took the world for a ride and had a hell of a time doing it.

He was a very bright, very creative fellow. His majorly exposed work was of course very rough, mean spirited and childish, but it's just rock and roll. It worked. The man made a living from his art more successfully than most bands could hope to and they still have quite the following - even more of an image. They were no one hit wonders, and they shall be remembered for years to come - they had a major impact when they hurtled onto the scene and continued to have right until...well, now.

Quite frankly, they'll be remembered long after Lordi are gone. That's for certain.

What's saddest is this has cut off the balls of a very big era - one of the first 'themed' bands has now lost their most valuable asset, only a few years after losing their guitarist. Oderus was the essential lifeblood of a group that constantly relied on him for ideas, for that unique 'intelligent idiocy' and for designing some surprisingly elaborate stage props.

Rest in Peace, Brockie. You bloody lunatic!
Mooneyman

Postby MarkusHasADeadache » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:06 pm

korovnikovd wrote:I don't know what to say, I never liked him, but I'm not even thrilled with his death. How I cried after Otus passed away and how I don't care now.. But he left a big trail of his work, though I'm not sure that a lot of people will remember him after years.

While I'm sure that last sentence wasn't said with any ill intentions and I don't mean to accuse anybody or start an argument by any means, I do think it's a wee bit ignorant and disrespectful to say Oderus won't be remembered. It comes off a bit like saying that his entire career and everything he worked for doesn't matter which is sort of a middle finger to Gwar fans and those who are currently crushed by the man's death and what more than likely will be the end of Gwar as a band.

Personally while I don't really consider myself a Gwar fan, I have found the band to have a wicked sense of humor, and particularly so was the case with Brockie, and I can't deny the fact that his death comes as a bit of a shock. The man always came across in interviews as someone with a great sense of humor and someone who always enjoyed what he was doing to the full, and I can certainly respect that. In any case, the man will be greatly missed.

Or you know what, fuck this. Let's just agree that he isn't dead and Oderus just left Earth to wreak havoc on other planets.
"I'm who I am and this is what I do!"
"In the name of the Lordi..."
Miss-Elodia is my naughty Lordi girl. <3
MarkusHasADeadache

Postby Isa » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:02 am

I'm not a fan but I found that fan or not we must respect a musician for what he bring and it's a fact he bring something.
Our Daddy is the best 'cos he sincerly love us
Isa

Postby korovnikovd » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:05 am

Well, I was wrong, I agree. To be honest, I also respect his achievements regardless of my attitude to GWAR. Sorry if I confussed you.

Rest in Space, Dave.
korovnikovd

Postby Monsta » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:27 pm

I was very shocked when I found out about it the day he died. I never really get that lump in my stomach when someone I don't know passes away but this time I actually did. It was so unexpected, especially since I had read his tweets just some hours earlier. Wouldn't call myself a GWAR fan but some of their songs are good, I'm more fascinated by the image and the show, and in particular Oderus/Brockie himself who always makes me laugh but also makes me think. He was very talented, intelligent and had a brilliant sense of humour and was one hell of a frontman. May he rest in peace.(or chaos, whatever he prefers)
Monsta

Postby Monsterlady38 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:18 pm

By the time Oderus passed away I wasn't a fan of Gwar but I liked their image and I've seen a few funny videos of them. I paid my respects to Oderus also. At first I hated him cause of some of the sh*t he said about Lordi but then a few years later I'm like "It's his opinion and that's all it'll ever be, I shouldn't take it literally." and earlier this week, just for the hell of it I decided to check out their music and surprisingly I like their music. Thrash metal and I love thrash metal. :) I have much more respect for the band now even before Oderus died this year.

I like their music now, it's actually not that bad. Would I be a fan now? Well........sort of, but I will always love Lordi also, there's no law saying you can't like Lordi AND Gwar at the same time. The band may hate Lordi but hey...they hate everyone! Every band is different, and you don't have to hate them just because they hate another band that you love, but hey that's just me. :mrgreen:

Regardless of that, rock in peace Oderus. \m/ you will be missed, you were a funny guy.
"Honey honey lemme hug you like a spider, honey honey lemme give you evil love
Honey honey lemme kiss you like a viper, open up your heart, receive my evil love"

Blog | Instagram | FB | Lordi Army NA
Monsterlady38

Postby MarkusHasADeadache » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:31 pm

Monsterlady38 wrote:At first I hated him cause of some of the sh*t he said about Lordi but then a few years later I'm like "It's his opinion and that's all it'll ever be, I shouldn't take it literally."

From what I can gather a lot of Oderus badmouthing Lordi in the press was just part of Gwar's image. Gwar's shtick is being politically incorrect, vulgar and rude which also entails them saying everyone else sucks compared to them, so when another monster band like Lordi entered the scene, it was almost their obligation to say something about it. It was sort of what was expected of Gwar. From what I understand behind the scenes Gwar and Lordi had an understanding and there was no bad blood between the two bands. Like for example when Gwar paraded Mr. Lordi's decapitated head on stage, Mr. L had apparently sent a message their way on how to make the severed head look even more convincing. And from what I understand Gwar would've wanted to tour with Lordi and make it a "Gwar vs. Lordi" sort of a thing. Lordi however declined the offer which I can understand 'cause they probably didn't want their image to be defined by their relationship to Gwar and instead wanted to stand on their own. I do wonder however that if that story is true, how would it have affected Lordi's image and presence in the States had they taken up Gwar on that offer. Would it have been a bad idea or could it have actually helped Lordi gain momentum? Who knows.
"I'm who I am and this is what I do!"
"In the name of the Lordi..."
Miss-Elodia is my naughty Lordi girl. <3
MarkusHasADeadache

Postby Monsterlady38 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:32 pm

Yeah you're absolutely right, that is what I was thinking with Gwar, especially how they think they are superior over everyone else (especially other monster bands) is part of who they are. Then again every band is different. If I decided I wanted to be a Gwar fan as well as a Lordi fan I wouldn't care if Gwar doesn't like Lordi it's part of their image. But yeah I also heard that underneath their image, Gwar understands Lordi and maybe respects them from what I've heard.

It's a real shame Oderus is gone though, just around the time I am having a change of heart on how I feel about Gwar.
"Honey honey lemme hug you like a spider, honey honey lemme give you evil love
Honey honey lemme kiss you like a viper, open up your heart, receive my evil love"

Blog | Instagram | FB | Lordi Army NA
Monsterlady38

Postby Ghostrider93 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:10 am

I am a fan of Gwar and Oderus Urungus was my favorite. He had a unique sense of humor, very funny, but also a talent for creating, singing ..... This guy was an extraordinary artist.
When I learned of his death, I was devastated and I burst into tears. it was a horrible day and a terrible shock to me. He was one of my idols. One of my wishes was to see Gwar live, and of course Oderus, but that dream was shattered forever. Of course, I'm always a fan of Gwar today and I always want to see them live, but it is true that without Oderus, it will never be the same. The Metal world has lost a great man this day. :cry:

RIP Oderus Urungus. May you find eternal rest and put the mess in paradise. \m/ :cry: :(
Be yourself! Do not be ashamed to show what you like, and do not be ashamed to admit that you are different.
Ghostrider93

Postby korovnikovd » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:55 am

I'd fly back to 2014 and kill myself for these words. Sorry if I insulted some of you. I know It's never excuse, but I must have been in quite shitty mood or something like that. I'm sorry, Gwar fans.
korovnikovd

Postby Nightmare Wings Hell » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:21 am

korovnikovd wrote:

I'd fly back to 2014 and kill myself for these words. Sorry if I insulted some of you. I know It's never excuse, but I must have been in quite shitty mood or something like that. I'm sorry, Gwar fans.

I'm pretty sure GWAR fans are having the last laugh here.
Actually I'm a Plumber.
Nightmare Wings Hell

Postby korovnikovd » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:20 pm

Yeah I mean what can I say, I suddenly changed my opinion about Gwar quite recently, you know.
korovnikovd

Return to Miscellaneous babbling