Monsterboard

Lordi Lyrical References

Talk about anything and everything LORDI-related - in English.

Moderators: Hemitys, psyanide, Nightmare Wings Hell

Lordi Lyrical References

Postby Doomality » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:35 pm

I've noticed that Lordi uses a lot of lyrical references in their songs. So I guess in this thread we can all share the ones we've found. :P

I've noticed in the beginning of "To Hell With The Pop" in the first verse or whatever, the lyrics are "Some like it slow, some like it as fast as a shark". The german metal band "Accept" has a song called "Fast As a Shark". So I think maybe Lordi sort of mentioned that on purpose. (And it's a killer song by the way. :P )

And man there's TONS of references in "Bringing Back the Balls to Rock", especially the verses right before the chorus is played the second time.

"We're the SMF with metal hearts."
SMF is the fan club for Twisted Sister, it stands for Sick Mother Fuckers.
Metal Heart is also an album from Accept.

"Got Love Machines, we're breakin' the law"

A tribute to Judas Priest. One of their songs is called "Breakin' the Law".

"We've got the looks that kill"

"Looks that kill" happens to be a Motley Crue song.

"We're the youth gone wild"

"Youth Gone Wild" is also a song by Skid Row (Another KILLER song. :P )

"We're the creatures of the night"

"Creatures of the Night" is a song by their main influence, KISS.

I'm sure these CAN'T be a coincidence, they have to be references. And I'm sure there's more, but now it's your turn to find them. :lol:
Doomality

Postby supermonstar13 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:38 pm

I'd tell you to check Pyromite for more, but it doesn't work now. :roll:
T+A
supermonstar13

Re: Lordi Lyrical References...

Postby DCN_HellBull » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:04 pm

In BBTBTR is even more references.. ;]

Doomality wrote:"Got Love Machines, we're breakin' the law"

W.A.S.P.? ;]

Breathing fire, spitting blood

Gene Simmons.

Biting off the heads of bats and doves

Ozzy.

Dragon boots and guillotines

Alice Cooper?

Besides, maybe "Would you love a monsterman?" derives from Accept's "Monsterman"? Also "Get heavy" supposedly refers to Accept's "Get ready".
Next, "Rock The Hell Outta You": "Let us make your sister twisted.." Surely reference to Twisted Sister. ;)
"The Night Of The Loving Dead" - it is known. :P
"Good To Be Bad": "..constrictor queen", maybe I'm overdoing, but.. Alice Cooper's "Constrictor" album? ^^

So many occurs to me. ;)
DCN_HellBull

Postby MBL » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:04 pm

And on Monster Monster Mr Lordi says "I would be damned if i do and damned if i don't".
I think that's from Alice Cooper :roll:
"GET INTO THE CAR AND DRIVE"
MBL

Postby judge death » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:07 pm

'Last kiss' goodbye, I think that is from the gig Kiss had in 1998: it was called: The last kiss. It was planned to be the last Kiss gig........

Maybe it is from there they got the name from?

It is a lot of references in their songs. :D
Theeee crimeee issssss lifeeeeee, theeee ssseeenteeeenceeeee isss DEATH!
I´m heeereeeee to cureeee you all from your ssssinnssssssss, I´m your ssssalvation.
judge death

Postby Linus » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:54 pm

Hehe, this is what I love about this band! They are just a big bunch of fanboys who formed a band to tribute their idols. That is cheese dodely cool! :D

To be quite on-topic: I have no idea if it's meant to be so, but I think the whole "Would you love a Monsterman" song is a tribute to "I was made for loving you". Listen to the songs and compare, they sound very much alike! At least they did the last time I did so... :P

- Linus
Linus

Postby Thanatos » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:55 pm

Linus wrote:To be quite on-topic: I have no idea if it's meant to be so, but I think the whole "Would you love a Monsterman" song is a tribute to "I was made for loving you". Listen to the songs and compare, they sound very much alike! At least they did the last time I did so... :P

- Linus

I was about to say that. These two songs look very similar

BTW in Sandman the part "they call me the leather aprone, they call me smiling jack" refers to Jack the Ripper.
Thanks to Supermonstar13 for the great signature
Thanatos

Postby MBL » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:29 pm

Yeah,many parts on BRS refer to Jack The Ripper :roll:

And on Forsaken Fashion Dolls there's "Just cry your Silent Scream Tonight".
Silent Scream is a Slayer song.
"GET INTO THE CAR AND DRIVE"
MBL

Postby mikroprose » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:21 pm

well in Lordi songs both music and lyrics are inspired by other fave bands such as KISS, Twisted Sister, Accept and famous horror movies it's their style. I would say more tributes than references.
mikroprose

Postby Berghani » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:16 am

i think it's cool that they're making tributes to other rock bands, and the tributes goes smoothly into their songs
Berghani

Re: Lordi Lyrical References...

Postby Kreivi » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:36 pm

Dragon boots and guillotines

In BBTBTR. Gene Simmons? :wink:
Kreivi

Postby SMF » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:32 pm

And let's not forget

"Make your Sister Twisted" lyric from Rock The Hell Outta You. Twisted Sister reference

"All you got was grease-paint, a set of white and black, all you got was laughter and Gene Simmons on your back" - Devil is a Loser

"Some like it Fast as a Shark" - lyric from To Hell With Pop. ACCEPT tribute.

And that's just the lyrics.. When Pyromite was up, I had a huge section with all Lordi's tributes including costumes, stage shows, riffs and more.
RIP Jayjay. I love you
SMF

Postby HalfmetalAlchemist » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:42 am

When my mom first heard the song "Pyromite" she said it reminded her a lot of the song "Firehouse" by KISS, cause of the sirens and such.
:.I love Kita.:
~On October 23, 2007, my Monsterican Dream came true~
HalfmetalAlchemist

Location: Pigeon Forge, TN, America Sex/Age - F/21 DOB - 9/30/92

Postby Joni Master » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:54 pm

SMF wrote:And let's not forget

"Make your Sister Twisted" lyric from Rock The Hell Outta You. Twisted Sister reference

"All you got was grease-paint, a set of white and black, all you got was laughter and Gene Simmons on your back" - Devil is a Loser

"Some like it Fast as a Shark" - lyric from To Hell With Pop. ACCEPT tribute.

And that's just the lyrics.. When Pyromite was up, I had a huge section with all Lordi's tributes including costumes, stage shows, riffs and more.

Why its not up anymore?
Joni Master

Postby SMF » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:27 am

HalfmetalAlchemist wrote:When my mom first heard the song "Pyromite" she said it reminded her a lot of the song "Firehouse" by KISS, cause of the sirens and such.

Well, Pyromite always reminded me so much of a song off KISS' album Unmasked. I think it is Lordi's most KISS sounding song to date.

Pyromite isn't up anymore because the server it was on got totally screwed and I lost all the data. I may re-make Pyromite, maybe when the new album comes out and there is Lordi buzz again.
RIP Jayjay. I love you
SMF

Postby SMF » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:27 am

HalfmetalAlchemist wrote:When my mom first heard the song "Pyromite" she said it reminded her a lot of the song "Firehouse" by KISS, cause of the sirens and such.

Well, Pyromite always reminded me so much of a song off KISS' album Unmasked. I think it is Lordi's most KISS sounding song to date.

Pyromite isn't up anymore because the server it was on got totally screwed and I lost all the data. I may re-make Pyromite, maybe when the new album comes out and there is Lordi buzz again.
RIP Jayjay. I love you
SMF

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:10 pm

this one's a debatable, some people hear it and some don't, but similarities between Hard Rock Halleluya and Alice Cooper's "Poison"

I also love the fact that they make references to their own songs (SCG3 special report. The intro to the news show is a mix of rifs from WYLAM, BRS and DIAL). I'm pretty sure there's one in "monster, monster" too, but i can't remember it right now...
}=~M~I~M~M~={
Ade Due Demballa.
Because you can't spell Necromancer without Romance
Mad Madam Mimm

Postby S92 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:13 pm

Yeah there's also the 'Hellbender Plaza' in SCG3 :P.

S92
"Is that you, Roberto?"
S92

Postby Mr.Blacksmith » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:07 pm

Mad Madam Mimm wrote:this one's a debatable, some people hear it and some don't, but similarities between Hard Rock Halleluya and Alice Cooper's "Poison"

I also love the fact that they make references to their own songs (SCG3 special report. The intro to the news show is a mix of rifs from WYLAM, BRS and DIAL). I'm pretty sure there's one in "monster, monster" too, but i can't remember it right now...

Well HRH Always Reminded Me Of "Cum on Feel The Noize"-Quiet Riot Or "Were Not Gonna Take it"-Twisted Sisiter
The Backning Vocals Are Like Poison
Last edited by Mr.Blacksmith on Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Blacksmith

Postby SMF » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:01 am

Okay, if ya wanna go into SCG3 - there is Joan Carr (Eric Carr), Sam Ramero (Sam Raimi - Evil Dead director)
RIP Jayjay. I love you
SMF

Postby Mr.Blacksmith » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:35 am

SMF wrote:Okay, if ya wanna go into SCG3 - there is Joan Carr (Eric Carr), Sam Ramero (Sam Raimi - Evil Dead director)

And George A. Ramero (Dawn Of The Dead)
Mr.Blacksmith

Postby the_cb_studio » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:49 am

I always thought Mr. Killjoy followed a similar structure to Detroit Rock City.

Both open with a recognizable riff, similar verse and chorus structures, Then the "Triple Layer solo"..... Detroit has Ace playing, then Paul, then gene.... Killjoy sounds like 3 guitarists playing simultaneously.... then the mini bridge... 3rd chorus... and a really sharp ending.

But that may just be me :P :twisted:
the_cb_studio

Postby SMF » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:40 pm

Nope! I agree! The solo right away made me think of DRC... But ya also pointed out some other good points
RIP Jayjay. I love you
SMF

Postby TheBear » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:56 pm

I have just listened an Alice Cooper's song "He's Back(The Man Behind the Mask)" and I noticed a ghostly background voice, the ghostly voice LoRDi used at the beginning of the "Not the nicest guy".
TheBear

Postby Mr.Blacksmith » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:01 pm

TheBear wrote:I have just listened an Alice Cooper's song "He's Back(The Man Behind the Mask)" and I noticed a ghostly background voice, the ghostly voice LoRDi used at the beginning of the "Not the nicest guy".

Thats The Jason Call (as I like to say) "Ki Ki Ki Ma Ma Ma"
Mr.Blacksmith

Next

Return to General discussion