Monsterboard

Hugging, hugging, hugging, hugging....

Talk about anything and everything LORDI-related - in English.

Moderators: Hemitys, psyanide, Nightmare Wings Hell

Hugging, hugging, hugging, hugging....

Postby Dungeon Keeper » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:08 am

Okay, this is admittedly a very silly question but its been on my mind for a while. From what I'm learning about Finnish culture, Finns are known for being reserved and not getting into each other's personal space. So why do I see videos and pictures of everyone in Lordi hugging anyone who gets within arm's reach of them? They hug each other, they hug fans, they hug bands they tour with, they hugged a few people the competed against at the ESC (the interview with Treble had about two solid minutes of hugging at the beginning, lucky girls). They are just a bunch of very pro-hugging monsters. Not that its bad, in fact I think its really great, but it seems very different from the cultural perception. Is it just a misrepresentation that Finnish people are aloof or are the monsters the exception that proves the rule? Is it just that as a band they get more chances to hug people than the average guy in the street? Do they just need a hug after a long, tiring day of hard work? Or are the monsters just trying to lure their prey in closer? Does anyone who's met the band have any observations? Oh and hugs to everybody out there, monsters or not.
Dungeon Keeper

Postby KittyCat » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:38 am

Haha, well it's scandinavians in general.
I think it's more cold in a way that we don't just talk to anyone.
We have to get really drunk to start talking to someone in a bar for example :P. I mean you see movies where two people are sitting alone on a bench and suddenly one of them starts talking to the other one. If there were 2 scandinavian people, it wouldn't happen at all... If the quiet one was a scandinavian he/she would probably stay quiet and walk away for a while :P haha or just get shocked and MAYBE answer.

I think once you get fans that love you, get to become a person in the spotlight... you just go for it :P I mean who doesn't like a monster hug?

This thread will probably get locked xD
Watch my lordi videos: http://www.youtube.com/kissemiss
KittyCat

Postby Dungeon Keeper » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:15 pm

I'm surprised the thread hasn't been locked already, actually. The Lordi specific part is that they're the band I see who's most openly affectionate in terms of hugging, with fans and each other. I've seen lots of pics of Amen and Kita face to face and rubbing masks. If another metal band did those things, it'd be scandalous. I guess in a a society that's so strict about when/where and who you can do that with, they just don't care. Maybe being monsters (or dressed as monsters) they get to flaunt human rules of behavior. A half demon troll can hug whoever he wants while another person might get flack for it. I'm glad they're so openly happy, though.
Dungeon Keeper

Postby KittyCat » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:50 pm

I just think Lordi is a band who do whatever they feel like.
They don't obey rules ;).
KittyCat

Postby LoKKie » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:52 pm

Yep,I remember first time I saw Lordi in 2005 and I couldn't help it and hugged Enary.She was very surprised,it was very unexpected for her.When I told that here,people explained to me that finnish people doesn't show that kind of affection with unknown people.

So,the next times I've seen them I just tried to shake their hands but then they hugged me and the surprise was for me :lol: Monsters hugs are good for health :P And they hug you even when they don't look like monsters :)

A stupid question maybe: If escandinavians never talk to anyone they don't know unless they have a reason...how do they flirt with someone? at night in a pub for example...Here in Spain is the opposite,people talk to you with total impudence,it doesn't matter what they have to tell you,even if it's a nonsense.I think I prefer your escandinavian character >_<
LoKKie

Re: Hugging, hugging, hugging, hugging....

Postby Spasmodic'90 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:02 pm

Dungeon Keeper wrote: From what I'm learning about Finnish culture, Finns are known for being reserved and not getting into each other's personal space. So why do I see videos and pictures of everyone in Lordi hugging anyone who gets within arm's reach of them? They hug each other, they hug fans, they hug bands they tour with, they hugged a few people the competed against at the ESC (the interview with Treble had about two solid minutes of hugging at the beginning, lucky girls). They are just a bunch of very pro-hugging monsters. Not that its bad, in fact I think its really great, but it seems very different from the cultural perception. Is it just a misrepresentation that Finnish people are aloof or are the monsters the exception that proves the rule? Is it just that as a band they get more chances to hug people than the average guy in the street? Do they just need a hug after a long, tiring day of hard work? Or are the monsters just trying to lure their prey in closer? Does anyone who's met the band have any observations? Oh and hugs to everybody out there, monsters or not.

I'm a Finn, so maybe I could give some kind of an answer. :roll: Finns might look shy and reserved and they don't seem to get into other people's personal space. Maybe it's just because Finns probably don't want to look too curious by getting close to other people. And yes, there are really outgoing Finns, too. But when we get good company, we are usually open and talkative.

And maybe Lordi monsters give a lot of hugs because they want to give a positive image about theirselves. Mr Lordi and his band members know it better. :roll:
The Deadache epidemic started in 29th October in 2008. I caught it in 6th November.

It's obvious that the Devil is hiding behind my smile...
Spasmodic'90

Postby Beauty of the beast » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:25 pm

Indeed Tuomas from Nightwish was talking about "hugging" in the "End of an Era" DVD, I can't remember what he said but it was an interesting insight into how he views why Finns aren't so "hug friendly"...

Stay Heavy Monstermaniacs :twisted: .
Getting Heavy Since : 18,09,03
Hell-o I am me, who the Hell are you?
Proud Brother of the Unholy Ghost
Beauty of the beast
Ex-Moderator

Postby Pepsi! » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:16 pm

Maybe they do it to confuse people... Here are big scary-looking monsters, the last thing you expect them to be doing is acting all silly and affectionate...
Whatever, I like it! :twisted:
I don't want to be an angel
I just want to be God

Pepsi!

Location: Bored in the USA... Sex/Age: Female/Prolly older 'n you

Postby Miss Charlene » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:05 pm

Pepsi! wrote:Whatever, I like it! :twisted:

who would NOT like it? :D

actually, i'm hoping to get a hug if i'd ever meet them. looks great on photos and it also IS just great! xD

ps.: hey, it does look like amen and kita like each other very much. oO
Miss Charlene

Postby Mooneyman » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:56 pm

Mr. Lordi, Kita, and Amen have been in Lordi since the start and seem to be very very good friends, so I don't see what's so strange about them getting on so well. :?
I think it's simply because Lordi recognise their success depends on the fans and the fans seem to depend on them. That and they're just nice people dressed as big scary monsters.
Or they really are just being anarchic in their own little way. :wink:
Mooneyman

Postby pLastiC_raiN » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:19 pm

Mooneyman wrote:Mr. Lordi, Kita, and Amen have been in Lordi since the start and seem to be very very good friends, so I don't see what's so strange about them getting on so well. :?
I think it's simply because Lordi recognise their success depends on the fans and the fans seem to depend on them. That and they're just nice people dressed as big scary monsters.

Yeah. And monsters need love, too. :D
Why can't I breathe whenever I think about you?
Why can't I speak whenever I talk about you? ♥
pLastiC_raiN

Postby Mooneyman » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:47 pm

pLastiC_raiN wrote:
Mooneyman wrote:Mr. Lordi, Kita, and Amen have been in Lordi since the start and seem to be very very good friends, so I don't see what's so strange about them getting on so well. :?

Yeah. And monsters need love, too. :D

Precisely! :D
Mooneyman

Postby Nonee » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:11 pm

They hug people because it's easier to pick their pockets that way.
Fresh blood, a sanguinary feast is all I'm living for, and I crave it more and more...
Nonee

Postby pLastiC_raiN » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:13 pm

Nonee wrote:They hug people because it's easier to pick their pockets that way.

:lol: Noo they only wanna be friendly!!
pLastiC_raiN

Postby Mooneyman » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:42 pm

:lol: :lol:
That's the most interesting theory so far, I think! :lol:
Mooneyman

Postby miss_brutality » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:40 pm

I don't find it strange. They are just friendly :) I'm my country when you are waiting in a queue or sitting in the park you can always talk to someone you dont know :D We find it normal :)

( sorry for my bad English)
miss_brutality

Postby Murkypuddle » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:17 pm

Ah, you can't generalise a whole population. I'm sure not all Finns don't like hugs. They hug each other because they're good friends, and they hug fans because, well, what would a band be without their fans! :wink:
Ah, screw that.
Murkypuddle

Postby Erina » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:40 pm

I hug people because I love them. I hug my parents, I hug my sister (though she doesn't like it), I hug my best friends, I hug my grandparents. I hug everyone who wants me to hug them. And I'm Finnish. I love hugging people, it makes sure to them that I love them.
latua oon lesbo
Erina

Postby KittyCat » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:54 pm

Yeah, but we're talking about hugging someone you've just met.
Scandinavians don't do that, while some people in other parts of the world do.
KittyCat

Postby judge death » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:22 am

KittyCat wrote:Yeah, but we're talking about hugging someone you've just met.

And it also depends how you grown up and where you grow up, for example: People in Uppsala hugs people more often than they do up here where I live.

But in general thats true. :)
Theeee crimeee issssss lifeeeeee, theeee ssseeenteeeenceeeee isss DEATH!
I´m heeereeeee to cureeee you all from your ssssinnssssssss, I´m your ssssalvation.
judge death

Postby pLastiC_raiN » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:22 pm

judge death wrote:
KittyCat wrote:Yeah, but we're talking about hugging someone you've just met.

And it also depends how you grown up and where you grow up, for example: People in Uppsala hugs people more often than they do up here where I live.

But in general thats true. :)

Lucky JD..I get hugged several times per day..It is true in scandinavia people don´t hug others that much?
I think i´ll move to Scandinavia then. :wink:
pLastiC_raiN

Postby Crystal » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:54 am

I love hugs :) I love Lordi !!:DD

Lordi hug me, please!
Just like the moon comes, we rise, we shine and fall
Crystal

Postby Monsta » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:56 am

Crystal wrote:I love hugs :) I love Lordi !!:DD

Lordi hug me, please!

Please, STOP spamming in topics that hasn't been active for 2 years?
Monsta

Return to General discussion