Monsterboard

Hidden Funny/Serious Song Meanings & Double Meanings

Talk about anything and everything LORDI-related - in English.

Moderators: Hemitys, psyanide, Nightmare Wings Hell

Hidden Funny/Serious Song Meanings & Double Meanings

Postby OfferA » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:02 am

Hi everyone,
Like all of you, I like to listen to Lordi's music. I spend a lot of time driving around, due to my work as a sound engineer, and Lordi always keeps me company in my CD player. Obvisouly after hearing all the CDs many times over and over again, one comes across possible hidden meanings of songs, so I wanted to share a few, and ask for your opinion, and if anyone else thought of more similar stuff. If you guys feel like saying "duhhhhhhhh", be my guest :)

Well, here's a funny hidden meaning I came across: In "Girls Go Chopping", I'm wondering if the song is actually about "Girls go shopping for revenge..."
like when a girl becomes upset over her boyfriend, steals his credit card and goes shopping with it - For revenge. :)

I found a few serious meanings, as well: In "Monsters Keep Me Company", I'm guessing that it isn't the obvious meaning of Lordi being accompanied by his loyal crew, and more like a song about having dark secrets ("monsters") and keeping them to yourself only.

In "Missing Miss Charlene", I'm guessing that there is no real "monster", but an actual person who kidnapped the girl, and therefore is a monster for doing it.

As for double meanings, I'm still wondering about "Pet the Destroyer" - From the lyrics, it's obvious that Lordi's inviting someone to pet his destroyer (I didn't try to find a meaning for that), but I was wondering if there could also be a destroyer named "Pet". That would be cute.

Another double meaning is in "The Devil Hides Behind Her Smile" - Is it referring directly to the devil as a smiling female, Liz Hurley-"Bedazzled"-style, or to a regular woman, who's smile reflects the devil - in male form.

I guess that's about it, I'd love to hear your thoughts!
OfferA

Postby Isa » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:15 am

About "Monsters Keep me company", you can be true but I don't see how dark secrets can "keep safe Protected from harm", usually keep dark secrets for you destroy you more that it protect you (ex : when secret are that you aren't good)

Pet the destroyer is a song about Kita and if you listen to the song with mind on that, it look different. You can take it like "come say hi to my pet who's a destroyer" at least I take it so (can be i'm wrong)

"The Devil Hides Behind Her Smile", I see it more like a woman who wanna use her charm for attract you and make yo do what she want you do. One who smile for attract, with something in her head.
Our Daddy is the best 'cos he sincerly love us
Isa

Postby HalfmetalAlchemist » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:25 am

Hehe, when my mom first heard the song "Pet the Destroyer", she thought it was Mr. Lordi talking about his, uh, penis. XD
:.I love Kita.:
~On October 23, 2007, my Monsterican Dream came true~
HalfmetalAlchemist

Location: Pigeon Forge, TN, America Sex/Age - F/21 DOB - 9/30/92

Postby martinmaniac » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:44 am

HalfmetalAlchemist wrote:Hehe, when my mom first heard the song "Pet the Destroyer", she thought it was Mr. Lordi talking about his, uh, penis. XD

haha :lol: I can see it for myself xD
martinmaniac

Postby Isa » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:29 am

For sure this give a totally other way to listen to the song :lol:

But should he call the penis "Pet the destroyer" or "My beast le royal" ?

Sweet killing machine :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Isa

Postby OfferA » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:35 am

Isa wrote:About "Monsters Keep me company", you can be true but I don't see how dark secrets can "keep safe Protected from harm", usually keep dark secrets for you destroy you more that it protect you (ex : when secret are that you aren't good)

Pet the destroyer is a song about Kita and if you listen to the song with mind on that, it look different. You can take it like "come say hi to my pet who's a destroyer" at least I take it so (can be i'm wrong)

"The Devil Hides Behind Her Smile", I see it more like a woman who wanna use her charm for attract you and make yo do what she want you do. One who smile for attract, with something in her head.

Well, for "Monsters Keep Me Company", I think that the "monsters" can also reflect "lies" or "masks" attached to the "secrets", as in "I put a mask on me to hide who I really am - To hide my secrets". The "Until I will set them free" would probably be his redemption, like in serial killer movies, when the police figures out that the killer leaves them clues, because a part of him wants to get caught. When "He'll set them free", he'll be exposed to harm/weak/unmasked.

For "Pet the Destroyer", I see how Kita comes in mind. I guess I saw it more as a word-game than an actual possibility. It's like taking the "Pop Goes the Weasel" song and thinking about a weasel named Pop, or the most common word game - "Puff the Magic Dragon". :)

For "The Devil Hides...", I thought that the more probable meaning is that the speaker has a wife/girlfriend who appears to him as hiding something, and since he's a psycho, he can't deal with the possibility that he might be right / won't settle that it might only be in his head, and kills her. There's that line: "How could I hear her calling, 'come come dear dinner's gonna start'", which maybe implies that he was so quick to kill her, that he heard that "dinner invitation" one second too late, maybe on her lips right after he stabbed her, or maybe she called him from another room and he was too busy with his thoughts to understand it. Maybe this means that the whole "smile" thing was the girl hiding the surprise dinner from him.
OfferA

Postby Isa » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:32 am

Then for you the "protected from harm" is in a way "i'm more protect hided, masked than if I let the true appear" ? Also don't forget to keep in touch that "Monsters keep me company" is one of the most personnal song then you need to see it like Mr Lordi talk from himself.

For "the devil is hide...." in fact the most important question is "is the woman really guilty or does the man mind so when she isn't ?" 'cos if you see from one side or from a other it make the understanding of the song completly different.

At same time I ask me if for some song it's not wanted that we can't say for sure. A bit like song should be writed for that everyone understand it like he want and that in fact only band know the exact story.
Isa

Postby HalfmetalAlchemist » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:36 pm

Isa wrote:For sure this give a totally other way to listen to the song :lol:

But should he call the penis "Pet the destroyer" or "My beast le royal" ?

Sweet killing machine :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think it was the line "pet my destroyer" that gave her the idea, lol. I dunno, but I was just like "mom.. it's about Kita.. <_<;;" Lol.
:.I love Kita.:
~On October 23, 2007, my Monsterican Dream came true~
HalfmetalAlchemist

Location: Pigeon Forge, TN, America Sex/Age - F/21 DOB - 9/30/92

Postby Mooneyman » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:46 pm

I've always thought Monsters Keep me Company was about the fans and how defensive they are...It seems to fit perfectly. Lordi seem to see it as if we're hypnotised by something within the band and stay their defenders until the 'curse' is broken...
Mooneyman

Postby miss_brutality » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:18 pm

Mooneyman wrote:I've always thought Monsters Keep me Company was about the fans and how defensive they are...It seems to fit perfectly. Lordi seem to see it as if we're hypnotised by something within the band and stay their defenders until the 'curse' is broken...

Ant isn't that true :D only it's not a curse but a blessing :wink:
Forever and Always!
miss_brutality

Postby Mooneyman » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:45 pm

Too true. :lol:
Mooneyman

Postby Berghani » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:23 am

martinmaniac wrote:
HalfmetalAlchemist wrote:Hehe, when my mom first heard the song "Pet the Destroyer", she thought it was Mr. Lordi talking about his, uh, penis. XD

haha :lol: I can see it for myself xD

that would be... something :lol:
Sigh... only if I had anything of importance to write here.
Berghani

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:40 pm

NIght of the Loving Dead is soooo full of innuendo/double meanings/puns, I can't believe no one's mentioned it. Bite It Like a Bulldog also has... sexual connotations, and not to mention Rock the Hell Out of You. Almost all the songs have some element of wordplay in them, which is why I like them.
}=~M~I~M~M~={
Ade Due Demballa.
Because you can't spell Necromancer without Romance
Mad Madam Mimm

Postby S92 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:38 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but in Man Skin Boots there's a guitar part at the end which is exactly the same as a guitar part in Shout At The Devil by Motley Crue.

S92
"Is that you, Roberto?"
S92

Postby pessimistic » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:13 pm

Well, at first: I reckon if someone from the band would read it, it would have to be real fun for him - yeah, it's a great idea to try to catch something behind the lines, but - are you sure, there must be something, can't it be all in our heads??? :wink:

Sorry, of course, these lines you've written are a proof that you really love their music - and yeah, there can be lots of feelings etc. behind the words - just keep the fact, that sometimes, the lyrics are just fun and there's no hidden meaning! (Someone of you may know e.g. band Nirvana and 'Smells like ...' - the lyrics were written about a half an hour before the gig at backstage rehearsal - and the fans keep it as a message from above)

Btw. talking about 'The Devil is hiding behind her smile' - I see it as the dream - the man returns home to his wife, but her behavour is unusual, so he thinks she's got something to hide - this affects his dream when he falls asleep, so he dreams about killing her - and she wakes him up by calling him for the dinner ...
:?:
It runs in the way of classical horror film... you don't know what's real.
Don't ask me if I'm crazy - the answer is: yes...
pessimistic

Postby OfferA » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:02 pm

pessimistic wrote:Well, at first: I reckon if someone from the band would read it, it would have to be real fun for him - yeah, it's a great idea to try to catch something behind the lines, but - are you sure, there must be something, can't it be all in our heads??? :wink:

Sorry, of course, these lines you've written are a proof that you really love their music - and yeah, there can be lots of feelings etc. behind the words - just keep the fact, that sometimes, the lyrics are just fun and there's no hidden meaning! (Someone of you may know e.g. band Nirvana and 'Smells like ...' - the lyrics were written about a half an hour before the gig at backstage rehearsal - and the fans keep it as a message from above)

Btw. talking about 'The Devil is hiding behind her smile' - I see it as the dream - the man returns home to his wife, but her behavour is unusual, so he thinks she's got something to hide - this affects his dream when he falls asleep, so he dreams about killing her - and she wakes him up by calling him for the dinner ...
:?:
It runs in the way of classical horror film... you don't know what's real.

About "The Devil is Hiding..." - Never saw it as a dream, nice thought :)

I guess that many times the lyrics are for fun, with no hidden meanings, and that sometimes hidden meanings come along without the writer even intending this to happen. I know that as a writer, it's awesome when people come up to you and tell you their interpretations to your words, and it turns out that they saw things that you never even thought about when writing your song :) It's fun.
OfferA

Postby Dezalene » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:49 pm

Same could be said for Wake the Snake. Except I think that's the context it's supposed to be taken out of. :lol:
~In November I lost my family. They took away all my friends and blamed insanity!~
New DA / Old DA
Dezalene

Postby Doomality » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:26 am

Dezalene wrote:

Same could be said for Wake the Snake. Except I think that's the context it's supposed to be taken out of. :lol:

I was gonna write this one down but looks like you beat me to the punch. xD
Doomality

Postby kruegerguy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:46 am

I see Devil Hides Behind Her Smile and Missing Miss Charlene as a two part story, A woman who was loved by everyone is killed for her kindness and madness ensues.
kruegerguy

Postby pessimistic » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:12 pm

Dezalene wrote:

If you look at the songs like that, what is 'Fire in the hole' supposed to be about, then??? :lol: :twisted:
Don't ask me if I'm crazy - the answer is: yes...
pessimistic

Postby martinmaniac » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:04 pm

in missing miss charlene, I think the chorus, where they're singing there's something buried in my bacyard sounds very much like teräsbetonis song voitammaton's chorus :P A bit funny I think, maybe they have heard the song and got a little influence? :)
martinmaniac

Postby Deadache87 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:19 pm

i think Monsters keep me company is about the people that tried to unmask them, and Lordi's telling them that no one can ruin their image except Lordi, when they choose to let their monster image go

if that makes sense
read the rules about image sizes.
Deadache87

Postby miss_brutality » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:21 pm

I've always thought That monsters keep me company is just ment to be a monstermaniac anthem. I always feel much better when I sing the chorus to myself. I understand it this way - they are our monsters and they keep us fans kompany when we are lonely and they sortta protect us mentaly.
Forever and Always!
miss_brutality

Postby D-devil » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:01 pm

Isa wrote:Pet the destroyer is a song about Kita and if you listen to the song with mind on that, it look different. You can take it like "come say hi to my pet who's a destroyer" at least I take it so (can be i'm wrong)

For this two songs I think perfectly the same!
About Monsters Keep Me Company, I thought that could refer to someone with some psychologic problems... who stays with his "mind problems" (monsters) and feels good that way, in his madness :lol:
D-devil

Postby Isa » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:07 pm

Monsters keep me company I also see it like a monstermaniacs anthem but I see it like we are the monsters who keep him company
Isa

Next

Return to General discussion