Monsterboard

I'm impressed

Talk about anything and everything LORDI-related - in English.

Moderators: Hemitys, psyanide, Nightmare Wings Hell

I'm impressed

Postby Innanna » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:38 am

I just can't believe how clearly and well Mr. Lordi and group can sing in English. I have heard him talk and he has no accent.

Remember, I am a new fan but I think I read that they hale from Finland.
Innanna

Postby Mooneyman » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:52 am

Indeed, they are Finnish, and while talking normally they retain a Finnish 'twang' - however it doesn't seem to be present when singing.

It might be the case with other foreign bands, I'm not too sure!
Mooneyman

Postby HalfmetalAlchemist » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:28 am

Yeah, when I first heard LORDI, I had no idea they were Finnish till I read it up! I was so confused, cause I had never heard of them, and when I did, I wondered why cause a band like LORDI certainly sticks out.. then I learned they were Finnish(I'm American, and discovered LORDI before they came here). Though there are some traces of an accent when they talk normally.
:.I love Kita.:
~On October 23, 2007, my Monsterican Dream came true~
HalfmetalAlchemist

Location: Pigeon Forge, TN, America Sex/Age - F/21 DOB - 9/30/92

Postby pessimistic » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:08 pm

Yeah, definitely, dudes!!!
But this is not just about Lordi!
When compare various European bands, which sing in English, I come to the conclusion, that all the bands from the North have better English than anyone else (of course except for British and Irish) ...

But poeple from Britain would probably complain about their accent - cause it's kinda american (yeah, all around the world it's okay, but not in U.K. - they're proud of theit British accent and don' admit anything else could be good enough).
Don't ask me if I'm crazy - the answer is: yes...
pessimistic

Postby Mooneyman » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:00 pm

pessimistic wrote:yeah, all around the world it's okay, but not in U.K. - they're proud of theit British accent and don' admit anything else could be good enough).

Excuse me? I'm personally British and I can tell you Brit music doesn't have an accent normally. And even then a Briton doesn't notice it. :| That's a stereotype. The UK music market, for the large part, is composed of nothing but American bands and we've opened our arms for other cultures. The Brits are relatively down to Earth in comparison of what other countries think of us! We've only had one stint where our music displayed any kind of British accent and that was the mockney accent of Britpop in the eighties and nineties.

The fact your statement has no evidence behind it doesn't make it a very viable one. :lol:
Mooneyman

Postby monster girl » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:46 pm

Agreeing with Mooney.

pessimistic wrote:But poeple from Britain would probably complain about their accent - cause it's kinda american (yeah, all around the world it's okay, but not in U.K. - they're proud of theit British accent and don' admit anything else could be good enough).

It's a little unfair to make a sweeping statement about a whole nation. :roll: If that were true, not many bands could achieve any status in Britain, and that certainly isnt true. Aye?
Thanks Gohu!
monster girl

Postby pessimistic » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:58 pm

To Mooneyaman:

I'm sorry if I've mortified you...
But this is my experience - I believe that not all the nation is like that. Young people probably don't mind the matter of accent... and it's great!
Obviously I was just unlucky enough to meet the British, who had a problem with an american accent (all the time it was like 'stop ussing that accent! can't you speak properly?')
I realize it shouldn't be generalised, maybe today it's different, but in my country it mostly seem so... :?
pessimistic

Postby Mooneyman » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:22 pm

The only reason I've ever known a Brit to be against the Americans is due to American culture generally taking over - But I've never seen it occur face to face - we Brits do tend to attempt to keep up appearances.

We're quite tolerant when we want to be. ;)

Your average Brit likes accents, you just had a bad experience.

So...overall, not everybody is like a single person - We're pretty much the opposite these days.
Mooneyman

Postby pessimistic » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:16 pm

Mooneyman wrote:We're quite tolerant when we want to be. ;)

So...overall, not everybody is like a single person - We're pretty much the opposite these days.

Yeah, I guess I have this experience because most British people I've met were, let's say, older generation, which is I think a bit conservative... :?

Young people don't seem to have a problem with anything 'american'... :)
(I only wonder, where is the breakpoint...? When does this view change? :?: )
pessimistic

Postby martinmaniac » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:21 pm

pessimistic wrote:
Mooneyman wrote:We're quite tolerant when we want to be. ;)

Yeah, I guess I have this experience because most British people I've met were, let's say, older generation, which is I think a bit conservative... :?

Young people don't seem to have a problem with anything 'american'... :)

conservative = shit

back to topic guys ;)
martinmaniac

Postby Good To Be Bad Girl » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:15 am

pessimistic wrote:Young people don't seem to have a problem with anything 'american'... :)

(Sorry, Martin but I just gotta say this and I'm done.)
Well I just have bad experiences with americans. One told me he was going to "seek me up, slit my throat and rape my dead fuckin body while it's still warm and then send it back to my momma."
Just cus I listened to Slayer, Venom AND My Chemical Romance and Green Day.. :roll: (The funny thing is that I wrote better English than the guy himself. xD A norwegian writes better English than an american? There's something here that doesn't make sense...)
British people are more polite after what I've experienced. There are so many americans that seem too....proud. Of their country and culture and all... I don't like America. Great Britain seems way better....

Okay, I'm done.... :lol:
|Otus Vampire Trio| and |The Awesome Threesome| <3
Miss Banana Norway 2010 <3 || Trapped Bird, my monster-padawan! \,,/
Good To Be Bad Girl

Postby Nightmare Wings Hell » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:06 pm

Good To Be Bad Girl wrote:
pessimistic wrote:Young people don't seem to have a problem with anything 'american'... :)

Well I just have bad experiences with americans. One told me he was going to "seek me up, slit my throat and rape my dead fuckin body while it's still warm and then send it back to my momma."
Just cus I listened to Slayer, Venom AND My Chemical Romance and Green Day.. :roll: (The funny thing is that I wrote better English than the guy himself. xD A norwegian writes better English than an american? There's something here that doesn't make sense...)
British people are more polite after what I've experienced. There are so many americans that seem too....proud. Of their country and culture and all... I don't like America. Great Britain seems way better....

We're not all bad people. Sure we have a lot of idiots and morbidly obese morons who talk smack on the internet, but HEY, it's America. We're obnoxious and terrible people to begin with :wink:
Actually I'm a Plumber.
Nightmare Wings Hell

Postby Doomality » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:31 pm

Nightmare Wings Hell wrote:

We're not all bad people. Sure we have a lot of idiots and morbidly obese morons who talk smack on the internet, but HEY, it's America. We're obnoxious and terrible people to begin with :wink:

Agreed. There's a lot of just overall mean and inconsiderate people here in the states. But don't worry, not everyone is like this. :lol:
Doomality

Postby Vilce » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:09 pm

To tell the truth, I was surprised, when I heard Lordi singing so well in English, when one of my friends gave me my first CD to listen to. In that time, Latvia was overflooded with music by artists and bands from USA, and by the masks and good English I decided Lordi were from there as well ( you know, Hollywood and all horror movies and so...), so it was definitely a surprise when I learned they came from Finland... But I still wonder, how comes they sing so good in English...
Vilce

Postby Nightmare Wings Hell » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:56 pm

Doomality wrote:

Agreed. There's a lot of just overall mean and inconsiderate people here in the states. But don't worry, not everyone is like this. :lol:

Exactly! See, you have 2 amazing people from America right here! :lol:
Actually I'm a Plumber.
Nightmare Wings Hell

Postby kruegerguy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:57 am

Doomality wrote:

make that 3 and most likely more
A lot of people claim that stupid people annoy them, not me. I find them amusing.Image
kruegerguy

Postby Nightmare Wings Hell » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:36 am

kruegerguy wrote:
Doomality wrote:

make that 3 and most likely more

True, more American fans have sprouted!
Actually I'm a Plumber.
Nightmare Wings Hell

Postby Good To Be Bad Girl » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:17 pm

'kay, enough with the quotes.. :lol:
But hey, if a polite and nice american guy/girl comes up to me and starts talking, he/she is one of my friends! ^^ American Lordi fans are mostly nice people. ^^ Like you guys!
Good To Be Bad Girl

Postby kruegerguy » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:35 am

Depends on how your raised I guess
A lot of people claim that stupid people annoy them, not me. I find them amusing.Image
kruegerguy

Postby martinmaniac » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:00 am

I myself hate the american government, which I guess is because of my strong left-wing policy xD but still, there are nice american people and fat lazy stupid homer simpsons :lol:
martinmaniac

Postby pessimistic » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:54 pm

Hey, guys, all the Lordi fans (not only the Americans) are great people - it's because they are Monstermaniacs - doesn't matter where they are from... :twisted:

Well, American people are kinda weird (to me) - I can't understand their lifestyle in the way "nothing is ipossible" ... How can they be SO easy-going??? (That's probably because I'm of the nation of horrible stupid bum-suckers...) :roll: :wink:
pessimistic

Postby pessimistic » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:56 pm

martinmaniac wrote:I myself hate the american government, which I guess is because of my strong left-wing policy xD but still, there are nice american people and fat lazy stupid homer simpsons :lol:

You've made me singing that crazy song by Tenacious D - "Government totally sucks" :lol:
pessimistic

Postby Good To Be Bad Girl » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:38 pm

pessimistic wrote:
martinmaniac wrote:I myself hate the american government, which I guess is because of my strong left-wing policy xD but still, there are nice american people and fat lazy stupid homer simpsons :lol:

You've made me singing that crazy song by Tenacious D - "Government totally sucks" :lol:

The government totally sucks you motherfucker, the government totally sucks!! :lol:
Good To Be Bad Girl

Postby pessimistic » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:29 pm

Good To Be Bad Girl wrote:The government totally sucks you motherfucker, the government totally sucks!! :lol:

...and if we hold hands together, we can bring back the USA, the fucking USA ,yeeeeaaaah ...

LOL,you know, I love Lordi ('totally, dude'), but those guys are nicely touched, too! :D
pessimistic

Postby Good To Be Bad Girl » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:33 am

pessimistic wrote:LOL,you know, I love Lordi ('totally, dude'), but those guys are nicely touched, too! :D

Like Jack would have said himself:
they're awesome. 8)
Good To Be Bad Girl

Next

Return to General discussion