Monsterboard

BIG EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH KITA

Talk about anything and everything LORDI-related - in English.

Moderators: Hemitys, psyanide, Nightmare Wings Hell

BIG EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH KITA

Postby King » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:44 pm

LORDI FAN NATION KITA EXTRA
including BIG AND EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH KITA

Hi all!

It’s a long story. I came up with an idea of interviewing Kita of all the years he has spent in Lordi and started to work on it a bit more with Ida. One thing led to another and I got the chance to interview him. Ida came up with the idea of making an whole magazine upon the interview, which we then started to work on. We had some disagreements of the direction the magazine should take, but I think we managed to make it pretty great.

This is the Lordi Fan Nation Kita Extra. We got to make the magazine under LFN’s name and we are really happy how they let us make the magazine look like us. We had a month to work on the magazine and I think we succeeded really, really well. I hope you enjoy the interview and the magazine otherwise too!

Well, what is in the magazine besides the interview? Memories of the fans. I tried to collect as many memories of the fans as I could get. I think they’re really great. It’s really great to get to know how people got to know Kita, what was the best in him, how people met him… And when Kita reads them, there’s a chance he could remember the happenings.
There’s also pictures of Kita. Most of them are by psyanide. I want to thank you for letting me use them. I tried to pick the ones that capture the essence of Kita. There’s also Judge Death’s picture and two pictures from myself. There’s some pictures from Petri Haggren, the promo photographer of Lordi’s pictures. I want to thank you very much for letting me use your pictures! Your pictures just work! I tried to ask for some fan-taken pictures here at Monsterboard but no one wanted to participate. I think I could have advertised the magazine and what we needed a bit more but I think that the pictures that are in the magazine are really good and enough. I’m happy with them.

I want to thank Ida and Kita the most! Also to Judge Death, Isa and psyanide and Petri Haggren! You made this possible and I want to thank you so much! Thank you!

LFN Kita Extra (pdf) (Click to download)

What I ask from you now is to show your feedback and interest! Whether you like it or don't, express your opinion! :) Thank you!

Thank you!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

How are you, Kita?
Fine, thanks. [laughs a bit] All kinds of little hassle are on, of course, naturally. Meetings and such. In fact I’ve helped Lordi a bit as they’ll have, how soon was it, in three weeks the first gig of their tour. I’ve done like live intros and such to the songs, you know when there’s all kinds of sounds of clatter and clack. And then of course we’ve started to rehearse with my other band, and we’ve been thinking of actually playing a couple of gigs still this year. And of course as I’m the manager of myself so I’ve been doing that job, too.

What memories come first in mind when you remember of all the years you spent in Lordi?
Well of course there’s naturally a lot of memories. But what comes first… all big gigs, big festivals, Wackens, Download festival in Donington, Rock2Wtgn in New Zealand, and of course the Kauppatori gig in 2006 was great. But then there’s a lot of small: small succeedings, nice trips, nice people… well, there’s many of them and there’s many stories too. Mainly positive and nice big things - and of course some funny mishaps have happened. But I happily remember those times.

What things you will miss the most from those times?
Maybe it would be those long trips - we probably aren’t going to do those with Stala & So at least for a while. [laughs a bit] But on the other hand the world has been travelled a few times already, so the novelty has quite gone. But maybe, you know, meeting people, spending time together, meeting fans… I’m not so sure how much I miss that, but at least it would probably be nice to go and go touring the world. So tours, in short? Yeah.

What Lordi era is or was your favourite?
Musically speaking?

Yeah. And regarding the events happened during the eras.
Well of course so many big things happened during the Arockalypse era, so naturally it was big, but somehow musically speaking I personally like The Monsterican Dream and the making of it a lot. When you think that Get Heavy was a collection of old songs mainly by Mr. Lordi - it had songs from ten years - The Monsterican Dream was the first “band album” and the band improved a lot in the making of it. It also was some kind of a showcase and I think we redeemed it pretty well. And somehow it feels like after that album people started to see us as a real band.

It didn’t get so good reception, or did it?
Yeah, no it didn’t. But that’s how it goes; if someone would record the best record in the world now, without a doubt, it doesn’t necessarily mean everyone would buy it. Fans liked it. And the same happened to Deadache. Even the critics flattered it but it didn’t sell as much as people maybe expected. But that was because there came the Eurovision hangover, that we ”weren’t a trend” anymore.

How about your favourite Lordi costume? My personal favourite is your Babez costume.
Yeah, Babez’s costume was cool but I didn’t have it on so many times. I like Japan a lot so I like the Deadache costume a lot. But on the other hand, there’s certain memories related to every costume. I don’t really count the Babez costume in because I didn’t really get into it. But… I’d probably say the Deadache costume. I liked that ”samurai-monster” thing.

What’s your favourite Lordi album?
Well… If I had to listen to one of our records from the very first second to the last, I think… Arockalypse is our hit album, musically inter alia. Of course there’s great moments on every album, but in my opinion Arockalypse kicks the most. Regarding to its song material it’s in my opinion the strongest. If I should recommend someone who has never heard Lordi which Lordi album he or she should listen to, I’d say The Arockalypse.

But Babez had Michael Wagener...
Yes, but he didn’t participate in the writing of the songs, he just produced. So I’m more speaking of the content. The producer has his own vision, of course, but if I had to choose. The name doesn’t make the record any better; it’s more the music. Of course the new album is good too. I think Lordi has never done a bad album. And probably never will. But regarding to the song material The Arockalypse is stronger than Babez.

Which of all five albums was the most painless to do?
The newest. Definitely. At least on my part. I sort of achieved the top of my drumming. I’ve never kept myself as a drummer, so when you think that I played fifteen songs in in four days. And we’ve always used a lot of computer before, we’ve edited a lot, changed the grid of the drums if you know what it means. Like we put everything like it’s a… machine. But this was really a creation. Everything was played and replayed to the point it sounded good. Same with the backing vocal sessions. It was all easier than before. I don’t know is it that I had got better comparing to the beginning when it was a lot of trying. But yeah, this newest was, for me, clearly the easiest.

Do you have a personal favourite song on Babez?
I like the opening track and… Rock Police is good. And then one that was left over, a little similar to Rock Police… what was it…

Lord Have Mercy?
Yeah, I like that! I think it had a great spirit. I wouldn’t have taken it off the album but wiser people decided to leave it off.

There were a lot of guest stars on Arockalypse and on Babez you had Bruce Kulick and Mark Slaughter. How did it feel to work with these kinds of big names?
Well, on Arockalypse we didn’t work with anyone else than Udo. Udo was the only one who came to Finland. All the others recorded in their own studios and sent the files via the Internet. Though this time Lordi visited Bruce and made a song with him, and Mark Slaughter… It can’t really be called working with him as he just came to the studio, spoke the speeches and walked away [laughs]. But it’s always nice! It’s always fun to see that those old own idols you have dug when you were a kid are really relaxed people. For example: we were some years ago - actually this time of the year, it was Halloween - on a Thanksgiving dinner with Jay Jay French. We visited his place and he showed us all his guitars and…

…and played with you on the gig…
Yeah! The same time.

Has any Lordi song ever got stuck in your head and you haven’t managed to get it out?
[Laughs a bit] Quite often I guess, as they are pretty catchy. But I don’t really remember is there any I haven’t managed to get out… Then of course there are songs I’ve done myself; I could have noticed that if some song gets stuck it might be good, there’s some catchiness in it. Actually I just read from somewhere that when ABBA made songs in the 70’s, they didn’t record the ideas. If they didn’t remember the same song the next day…

…it wasn’t good.
Yeah, it wasn’t good then. It’s quite well said.

You wrote Hate At First Sight with Amen. Many Lordi fans think that it’s Lordi’s best song, or at least the best b-side. How did the song build up?
We were in the studio with Amen and we wanted to get something melodic, pretty pop also. Something like KISS’ Million to One. It came up pretty quickly. And actually, the intro melody was different in the original version. We changed that then. I agree that it’s one of Lordi’s best songs and now when we rehearsed it to Nosturi for example, it turned out really great. Of course we laughed with Amen is there any sense leaving these best songs off the album, but the record company decided to drop it off in its great wiseness.

Did the song feel like the best during the Deadache sessions?
Yeah, it felt really good back then too. But Deadache is so much heavier and darker album so it probably was a bit too zappy. I guess that’s one of the reasons why it was left over.

You co-wrote It Snows In Hell, too...
Well, it’s mainly Mr. Lordi’s song, but when you hear those response lines in the chorus, I wrote them. But otherwise it’s Mr. Lordi’s song.

Eurovision Song Contest is a big part of Lordi’s history. You explained participation by stating that “you do things other bands don’t do”. What was your opinion in the participation and do you regret it?
Well, I don’t regret it, and I was the one who thought that this is a good thing and let’s do this. And what we said was that ”we are that kind of band that is able to do things other bands don’t do”, but we didn’t do it because of that. We had a new album coming out and the previous album Monsterican Dream didn’t succeed so well, so we thought that we could get a good publicity from this and so called free advertising. That’s why we went, and part of the band was pretty sceptic about it. I myself am so positive person that I said that our starting point was to win it, at least the Finnish preliminary. And in Athens we’d go at least to the finals. Which actually happened. [laughs] It was of course a good thing but it wasn’t so big thing in Lordi’s history, it was quite short thing in time actually…

But the effect was big.
Yeah, the effect was big. Also the side effects were big, as we got that certain mark which exists still and what has been tried to shake off. Media has marked Lordi and it’s interesting will Lordi ever get to ABBA. It’s quite seldom that the media speaks of “ABBA who won the Eurovision” in the articles. It’s there in the end of the article, like ”oh, by the way… they won too”. Of course they achieved so much that the Eurovision was just a small thing among the others. And I think it’s also because of our image [the Eurovision mark]. It was funny enough to think that guys who look like monsters won the Eurovision, that the press, especially in Finland wants to advertise it every time.

You filmed 10 music videos overall. Which one of these was the most easy and pleasing to film? Did we make 10 of those? Yeah, 9 or 10 depending on how you count it. If we count the Eurovision 2007 video in... Is it included in this 10?

Yeah.
Ok. What was the easiest? The easiest to film was This Is Heavy Metal, there we got off lightly. Hmm… well, Who’s Your Daddy was fun to film ’cause there were those girls. But I think Blood Red Sandman is still as a video definitely the best and the most pleasing. There was that flaw in Lordi’s videos, which many fans, and some of the band too, have been criticised: in some point they started to repeat themselves, they were really similar to each other. I think that Blood Red Sandman is the most succeeded; there’s a good plot, it’s pretty fun and the band looks good. It just works really well.

You also filmed a full-length horror movie with Pete Riski. I remember you’ve said in some interview that you don’t really like horror movies.
Yeah, I don’t like them at all. [laughs]

So what do you think about this movie?
Well, how could I say it somewhat discreetly…? [laughs] It is a good movie and so, but… Of course my part in the making of the film was so small - I had only one shooting day - that I didn’t really get into the making of the film.

How does it look like in your opinion?
It looks great; there are few pretty good scenes. But I still don’t really get the ending [laughs]… But on the other hand, it’s really cool that a band gets to do a movie.

Even it didn’t really succeed…
Yeah… How many films has WASP done? None. [laughs] But I have a gold DVD record on the wall of my apartment, so I think it has succeeded pretty well.

And it’s been sold to many countries…
And awards have come from Spain… here we see how the Finnish media likes to crush. But when you think that Lordi is in the horror movie genre - you can’t compare James Bond to Dark Floors - this is horror and in horror genre this succeeded really well.

Your first gig was in Nosturi…
And my last one, too. The circle closes. [laughs a bit]

But that wasn’t the intention?
No, it wasn’t.

…and your second gig was in Germany. How did this kind of giant leap feel like?
It was quite big [leap]. The first gig in Nosturi was sold out, there were 900 people and the next gig in Germany was also sold out, there were 9000 people. It was a clear dream come true to get to play in that kind of ice halls.

Taught a lot?
Yeah. Somehow it was just so fucking cool. We just sat on the benches and watched mouth open how roadies road, ”how cool is this”. And the fun thing was that I had the ear monitor, from which I could hear all the stuff, and it got loose in the very first song. The plug got loose and I didn’t hear a thing in the first song. [laughs] All blindfolded. All kinds of mishaps happened on that gig. We got it fixed and the gig went fine.

How did it sound like?
I guess ok… I don’t know. Of course I didn’t hear anything. [laughs]

Did someone tell you?
Yeah, not many even noticed that. It’s great that we got some die-hard fans from that gig that are still around. No one knew who this Nightwish’ support act was. It was great. We were in Oberhausen and then we were in Munich and in Munich there were ”only” 6500 people. But that gig went as a gig much better. In fact I’ve saved the drumsticks I played with on that Munich gig. I have them at home. When I’m old I can sell them in eBay very costly. [laughs]

You played in many different countries during the years. Which country was your favourite? Where could you leave to anytime to play a gig or two?
New Zealand in all its exoticness and of course as it was the only stadium gig I ever played with Lordi. It rises to the top spot.

You could return to New Zealand?
Yeah. Willingly. And just for a vacation, it’s pretty cool place. It’s in the same landscapes where The Lord of the Rings was filmed. And of course the festival was pretty cool, as there was Poison, Ozzy Osbourne, Whitesnake, Kiss and Alice Cooper besides us. It was pretty much the perfect line-up for myself. Also as a fan as we met some of the guys there… It was great.

Did you meet KISS?
Yeah, I shook hands Paul Stanley and Gene. It was fun.

Did they say anything about Lordi?
Yeah and Gene especially, he digs the band, he thinks that Lordi is ”my boys”. He always admires and digs.

Which venue was your favourite? Was it Wellington, too?
Well, of course the stadium was cool. What else could have been?

What would have been in Finland?
We played at Hartwall Arena, but personally I’d say the old ice hall. We just never played there…

But you were planned to play.
We were, but that cancelled back then. I saw KISS in there in 1988 and after that many other bands so it’s important to me. It would have been nice to play there sometimes. There’s that certain feeling in it. Maybe with my own band in some point.

What’s your best tour memory? Is it the Wellington, too?
But it’s not a tour memory… Well, yeah. But there are a lot of memories in that trip too, for example: When we were on our way home we had to wait hours for a continuation flight at London’s Heathrow. We met Ronnie James Dio. He came to the neighbour table, we said hi and talked this and that. He was recording the last album of Heaven And Hell with Tony Iommi and he gave us some Tony’s guitar picks and offered us beers. He was leaving back to America. He was going to play a gig at Lahti (Finland) that summer so he grabbed some paper and pen and asked us to write our names so he’d put our names to the list. It was pretty cool.

Did he put you on the list?
I don’t know. We had a gig the same time so we couldn’t make it to the gig so I don’t know what happened. But what I knew him I don’t doubt it at all if there would have been our names on the list.

What song was the most fun to play at the gigs?
What were those songs you probably got a bit bored to play?
Are you still good friends with Lordi members?
Who’s the closest one to you of Lordi members?

...AND MANY OTHER QUESTIONS GET ANSWERED.

Read the full interview from the magazine.

LFN Kita Extra (pdf) (Click to download)

Last edited by King on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm the carnivore Rex sinking fangs in your flesh!
King

Re: BIG EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH KITA

Postby _eesti999_ » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:49 pm

The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable
_eesti999_

Postby King » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:51 pm

Try refreshing the page. :)
King

Postby _eesti999_ » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:51 pm

Worked, thanks :roll:
_eesti999_

Postby martinmaniac » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:51 pm

same here

edit: nvm
martinmaniac

Postby judge death » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:55 pm

Just try again if it says so. :) It is a bit annoying yes but it works.
Will be on LFN´s website too later so if you prefer it that way you can read it there then.

Great work King and all who made this come true really. :) And it is a great big interview. :D
Theeee crimeee issssss lifeeeeee, theeee ssseeenteeeenceeeee isss DEATH!
I´m heeereeeee to cureeee you all from your ssssinnssssssss, I´m your ssssalvation.
judge death

Postby Police Line Do Not Cross » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:05 pm

This magazine was great! Thanks to makers :)
Police Line Do Not Cross

Postby anushka » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:19 pm

Really great interview. I really enjoyed to read it :D Thanks for this special of Kita!
"Hella's Forsaken Dolls Team"
anushka

Location: In Monsterland with my only one egyptian god ^^// Czech rep., F28

Postby AAore » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:28 pm

I hate thaat foxy comercial.. So scary ;S
Feel Good.
"They always survive while I lose everything"
AAore

Postby Jullie » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:32 pm

That was great interview in my opinion. You asked him all the questions that I would have asked if I had ever met him. Thanks. And the photos.. amazing! Great job! :wink:
Jullie

Postby Black_evil » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:35 pm

That was great! But it almost made me cry :lol: And I realized I can't see how I ever could talk to anyone of them, 'cos I'd be so afraid.
Ego sum rex romanum et supra grammaticam!
Black_evil

Postby _eesti999_ » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:43 pm

Really great interview with really kind person. Thank you for the makers.
_eesti999_

Postby Rubenlink » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:23 pm

Really great interview and stories! I like this quote from Kita: "The things argue, not the people." Now I'm sure he isn't mad at the band :) Thanks to everyone who made it!

RIP Otus!
Rubenlink

Postby King » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:07 pm

Black_evil wrote:And I realized I can't see how I ever could talk to anyone of them, 'cos I'd be so afraid.

Believe me, I was afraid too! :) But it went really well.

By the way, I attached the interview to the first post so people who can't download the pdf file for some reason. If you have trouble downloading the magazine, try refreshing the site and it should get better. And people who read the interview from the first post: remember to download the magazine so you can see how great the designs and layouts and pictures and memories are! ;)
King

Postby Erina » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:17 pm

Gosh, I cried the heck outta me (not a surprise). I don't think I've cried like this since October 4th. But I loved it, especially the interview. So lovely♥
latua oon lesbo
Erina

Postby Sooophie » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:07 pm

Thanks a million it's a great interview with Kita. We all miss him.
Sooophie

Postby TheBear » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:56 pm

It's good to read how thing are. The interview is good, the magazine itself is made very well overall.
The streak of good LFN's is not broken :D
TheBear

Postby MrDeadache » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:06 pm

Great interview ! :) Does he always laugh when he answers? :lol:

`The light is gone but hope is never fading
Where could she be - Dear Missing Miss Charlene`
MrDeadache

Postby King » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:21 pm

MrDeadache wrote:Great interview ! :) Does he always laugh when he answers? :lol:

Well... not always but... :lol: I think it's nice that he enjoyed the interview. Some (big) rock stars can be pretty badly behaving and arrogant and such, but Kita was just so freaking awesome. Not like that at all. Huge respect towards him!! :)
King

Postby Hemitys » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:40 am

Good stuff, good stuff. Interesting questions and Kita seems to be really honest about everything. Thumbs up to LFN and to the manbeast.
A Monster Heart Is A Hell To Tear Apart
Hemitys
Site Admin

Postby S92 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:42 am

This is a great interview!! Glad to see Kita finally explaining in his own words about his time in Lordi and the ventures with his new band.

Thanks a lot LFN!! Great job!! :)

S92
"Is that you, Roberto?"
S92

Postby miss_brutality » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:54 am

Thank you :) the interview is amazing! Kita will be greatly missed!
Forever and Always!
miss_brutality

Postby King » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:33 pm

Thanks everyone! I want to forward Kita's greetings to the ones who remembered Kita in the magazine, meaning; Judge Death, Thomas, Isa, Rubenlink, miss_brutality, MrDeadache, eesti999 and Ida:

"All those beautiful words really warmed the heart of the manbeast. I am very grateful of the support of all my fans.
Humbly,
-Kita"

Kita liked the magazine himself, too. It feels just amazing. :) This might sound stupid but I really want to thank you one more time, Kita! :)
King

Postby miss_brutality » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:56 pm

YAAAAAAAAAY :D :D :D This made my day !!!
Forever and Always!
miss_brutality

Postby Thomas » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:20 pm

Really great magazine, and an entertaining interview! Great job people!

Check us out!

Facebook

Myspace
Thomas

Next

Return to General discussion