Monsterboard

Newcomers board.

Talk about anything and everything LORDI-related - in English.

Moderators: psyanide, Hemitys, Nightmare Wings Hell

Postby Fallen One » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:54 pm

'lo poison! Welcome to the Lordi forums!

Great to see that we've yet another fan now haunting the forums ;)
If you've any questions or so, feel free to ask ;)

(Btw, one thing though. Would you mind using a bit of punctuation in future posts? It's a bit messy to read through like that, but I got it ;))

Fallen One.
Mr. Killjoy
And I don't care if you don't like me...
Fallen One
Ex-Admin

Postby Beauty of the beast » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:32 pm

Hi Pixie... I might be going to the download festival to see Lordi, but I'm not sure yet.

Hellcome to Monsterboard by the way, it's great to see more UK Monstermaniacs. you are proof that you don't have to be 16 to be a rocker... Staying Heavy allways.

Stay Heavy Monstermaniacs :twisted: .
Getting Heavy Since : 18,09,03
Hell-o I am me, who the Hell are you?
Proud Brother of the Unholy Ghost
Beauty of the beast
Ex-Moderator

Postby HSE2 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:37 am

Greetings from Tasmania - Australia.

bet you didn't expect that 8)

Well here is a story for you. A few weeks ago I got up in the middle of the night turned on the TV to Rage and went into "another room"

I was lucky enough to be in the middle of a metal segment. I could hear but not see what was playing. Well this song that seemed to be saying something about a sandman was playing, and I am thinking that’s pretty good. Must get out and see who is playing. Rounded the corner and jumped 3 foot in the air. WTF :twisted:

I missed seeing the bands name so made a mental note to follow up off the rage website. That led to a google search and this website.

Got the name of the album and went down town to order it. I was thinking that it would be impossible to get (nearly all European metal is rare and very expensive out here) but to my surprise the rage clip had made an impact. I ordered the Monsterican Dream and got set for a 4 week wait.

Well two days ago I was in another part of Tasmania (slightly larger population) and here right in front of me was LORDI the Monster Show.

Well in for a penny in for a pound I got that one as well. When I got to the counter I got a hell of a story as to why this album was a stock item, but they were very pleased with its success.

I favour guitars in my metal more along the lines of Iron Maiden and appreciated the technicality of Dream Theatre and Satriani.

So far from what I have heard of Lordi doesn't give me an impression of strong Guitar leads. The drums impress me and the organ sound from the boards sound out. Actually IMO these two are very noticeable aspects of Lordi. The vocal range is a surprise as well

However the construction is powerful and better still, it works. There is a cohesiveness of sounds that is extremely appealing.

I am enjoying Monster Show very much as my first taste. They seem to be a cross between Zombie- Twisted Sister - and even a part of Deep Purple thrown in for good measure.

I look forward to following the bands fortunes and future material. I have read that Lordi are the worst metal band to come out of Finland. Well if this is the worst I can't wait to hear the best.

Ian
HSE2

Postby LoKKie » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:46 pm

Hi from the antipodes! :P And welcome here! (hehehe,I welcomed him before BotB and Fallen One! :P :P :P )
Who said they were the worst finnish band? Has that person heard every finnish band to be able to say that? Bah, presumptuous critics are everywhere... :?

I let BotB and Fallen one give you a proper welcome,or maybe they would think that I want to make mine their job here :lol:

See you! :)
LoKKie

Postby Fallen One » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:52 pm

lol Lokkie, don't worry, you're free to welcome everyone! ;)

Heya HSE!

Another person from Australia! =) Welcome to the Lordi Forums! If you need any help or have any questions, feel free to write or pm ;)

And I'm a bit sad indeed, who ever stated lordi was the worst Finland has to offer on that music level? -.- *kicks the criticism*

Ah, can't all be as good and praising I supose ;)

Enjoy!
Fallen One.
Mr. Killjoy
Fallen One
Ex-Admin

Postby Beauty of the beast » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:54 pm

Yeah Hellcome HSE2 to Monsterboard!

I can't believe some one said that about Lordi, but then again not so long ago there were an equal amount of people who hated Lordi aswell as Loved them... Whats the world coming to ay :wink: ?

Beauty of the beast
Ex-Moderator

Postby HSE2 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:03 am

Thanks for the welcome

There is someone else from Australia?

I wouldn't be too upset with that particular comment. It supposedly came from an importer. I took it has being extremely high praise for bands out of Finland rather then a slight on Lordi and no I don't have any idea what other bands come out of Finland.

Any band that appears to have a Gimmick will face skepticism and it probably has more to do with being taken seriously on appearance then musical ability. The last Metallica album was practically devoid of lead rifts and got hammered for it. That was a deliberate direction Kirk wanted to take but there are some people that put huge emphasis on just this one aspect of a song. Guitar is rock or Guitar is metal is gospel.

I don't know enough about Lordi to really pass comment. I have listened to Monster Show another two times since I wrote yesterday and the enjoyment is growing. You hear something that was previously missed.

With this album I am not sure how much is new content and how much is some of the older stuff so I don't even know it they are evolving in a direction. I am impressed with the overall sound. I am not sure they are metal, definitely hard rock but hell they have a great sound as a group.

Everything just seems to be in- sink. A uniformity of sound.
I look forward to reading more about the bands history and will search before I start asking questions. The only criticism I have is that the songs are too short. Out here we would expect a CD costing as much as it does to be about 60 - 70 minutes in duration. I know I was left wanting more. It’s more a value issue then a music issue but bands such as Nickleback are worse and they get away with it in mainstream so its not a huge deal.
HSE2

Postby Fallen One » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:44 pm

Aha, I'll be looking forward to reading more from you, very constructive and a strong opinion!

First off, yes, there's at least one other Australian member on the forums, but I'm forgetting his name atm. He's into prostetics and making masks (like Lordi), perhaps BotB can enlighten you with his name ;)
Edit: never mind, found him: Buzzsaw581 ;)

Other bands from Finland include the highly beloved Nightwish, Children of Bodom, Stratovarius, Finntroll, ... Lordi do have high 'rivalry' there, although Lordi's sound is far from the bands I mentioned, plus it's indeed Rock (as you mentioned) aiming for 70's Rock, and not metal.

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed listening the Monster Show cd a couple of times more, and indeed, they always leave you wanting more, that's why I can't really wait to find their next cd in store ;) (whenever that might be =))

The songs are... Well, according to me, they're short to normal in duration. I agree though, I'm currently listening to a new cd I bought (Lacrimosa - Lichtgestalt) and this one lasts for 1 hour and 10 minutes and it only has 10 tracks on the disk ;) (goth this cd is so freaking good and I'm only on song two!) So you can imagine that this cd's and the tracks it hosts are a bit longer then the standard disk you'd find :p. (add to that the fact that ALL Lacrimosa cd's have a nice and long duration...) -> Stop me, I'm going off topic! lol ;)

Well, I supose that's about all from me atm ;)
Enjoy Lordi!
Fallen One.
Mr. Killjoy
Fallen One
Ex-Admin

Postby Nindalf » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:46 pm

Hello!!!!!! I'm new in the forum!!! My name is Alicia (But everybody calls me Ali or Nin :P ) and I'm from the sunny Almería, in the south of Spain. I discovered Lordi thanks to Lokkie that recommended it in another forum and here I am!!!! :D
And someday we will find the way...
Nindalf

Postby LoKKie » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:37 pm

Hola "vecina"! :D Ya veras ke maja es aki la gente :) Y los del grupo también,cuando aparecen.

Hehehe,I'm alone no more! :P
LoKKie

Postby Fallen One » Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:05 am

Welcome to the Lordi forum!

Thank you Lokkie for refering an untainted soul to the forum! :lol: Another one that we can endulge with the lovely thing called Lordi >=)

Fallen One.
Mr. Killjoy
Fallen One
Ex-Admin

Postby Nindalf » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:47 am

Thanks for the welcome!!!! :D :D
And someday we will find the way...
Nindalf

Postby metal fun » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:52 pm

hey fallen one, you are from Belgium just like me ,maybe we know each other you speak french or vlaams anders kunnen we in het vlaams verderdoen?just kidding,really from where are you
metal fun

Postby Fallen One » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:12 pm

Heya,

well, I'm afraid we'll have to rule out the Dutch part there since we're not allowed to do that on the boards hehehe... But euhm, I speak Dutch yes, and I'm from Ghent ;) Yourself?

It would be very neet indeed if we did know eachother :p
Ever take time to spend a visit to http://www.gothweb.be ? ;) (I'm The Grimreaper there)

Greets,
Fallen.
Mr. Killjoy
Fallen One
Ex-Admin

Postby metal fun » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:02 am

hey i'm from Aalst but i live in st lievens esse,do you have the first 2 Lordi cd's and if you do where did you by them because there not easy to find
metal fun

Postby Beauty of the beast » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:49 pm

Metal fun: I bought all my Lordi CDs appart from Get Heavy via Ebay, it's a very very good place to get all the Albums and Singles from.

Beauty of the beast
Ex-Moderator

Postby Fallen One » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:16 pm

Heh, I've the first two CD's yes, but euhm, I've a friend in Finland, he bought me the CD's as birthday presents and such :/ Even a Lordi poster flag ...

Indeed, Lordi's first two CD's aren't too widely distributed anywhere I'm afraid...

Fallen One.
Mr. Killjoy
Fallen One
Ex-Admin

Postby metal fun » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:33 am

thanx guys i see what i can do to fiend them thanx for the tips
metal fun

Postby HSE2 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:55 am

Fallen One wrote:Other bands from Finland include the highly beloved Nightwish, Children of Bodom, Stratovarius, Finntroll, ... Lordi do have high 'rivalry' there, although Lordi's sound is far from the bands I mentioned, plus it's indeed Rock (as you mentioned) aiming for 70's Rock, and not metal.

In order, who do you recommend? Rank them in order including Lordi if you like
HSE2

Postby Fallen One » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:39 pm

I wont be including Lordi since I like them too much lol

Hmm.. Well, it would appear that I had already given them in that order lol...
Nightwish, COB, Strato and Finntroll, ... ;)
Mr. Killjoy
Fallen One
Ex-Admin

Postby HSE2 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:26 pm

How efficent of you. Thanks for that.

Lordi history - there doesn't seem to be much information on the site.
Can you point me in the right direction
HSE2

Postby Fallen One » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:12 pm

I'm not quite sure what you're after...
Mr. Killjoy
Fallen One
Ex-Admin

Postby Beauty of the beast » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:46 pm

HSE2 just search Lordi in Google, check some of the pages... there is the famous Studio Diary at http://www.lordi.org/studio/diary.htm other than that the only real information about the bands past will be in interviews or if you ask kindly one of us monstermaniacs including myself will tell you some of what we know... you could also read the band members threads, there is alot of information about each of them in their threads.

Beauty of the beast
Ex-Moderator

Postby HSE2 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:48 am

Thankyou
HSE2

Postby Beauty of the beast » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:50 pm

HSE2 wrote:Thankyou

No problem HSE2 :D .