Monsterboard

Lordi Documentary coming out 2014

Talk about anything and everything LORDI-related - in English.

Moderators: Hemitys, psyanide, Nightmare Wings Hell

Re: Lordi Documentary coming out 2014

Postby korovnikovd » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:47 am

It's already 2014 but we know nothing new since 2012, it's not ok :roll: It was planned that film will be released in the spring, maybe premiere is postponed..
korovnikovd

Postby MarkusHasADeadache » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:42 pm

korovnikovd wrote:It's already 2014 but we know nothing new since 2012, it's not ok :roll: It was planned that film will be released in the spring, maybe premiere is postponed..

http://www.vaylanpyorre.com/antti-haase ... in-valmis/

Here's an article from late January, so quite recently. It's in Finnish, I'm afraid, but in it the director of the documentary says they've finished editing the film and that sound editing, score and other such final steps of finishing the film are to be worked on in February. So if they kept to that schedule the film should be close to done by now. He also said they know where the premiere will be but he is not authorized to reveal the location just yet. So as far as we know the film is near completion or maybe even completed, and I'd expect we'll probably be hearing some concrete new information within the next few months.

(Also, I can't help but notice that this is my 69th post. Hehe, 69.)
"I'm who I am and this is what I do!"
"In the name of the Lordi..."
Miss-Elodia is my naughty Lordi girl. <3
MarkusHasADeadache

Postby korovnikovd » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:36 am

Ok, thank you. :) I hope the deathly silence soon will be broken, cause it's pretty boring here now. :|
korovnikovd

Postby anushka » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:22 pm

Any news about this documentary? I thought it was supposed to be release in spring 2014. Ok, now it seems it will be delayed but it would be nice to know at least some info how it goes and if we will get this sh*t this year :roll:
"Hella's Forsaken Dolls Team"
anushka

Location: In Monsterland with my only one egyptian god ^^// Czech rep., F28

Postby korovnikovd » Sat May 17, 2014 11:19 am

Lordi Documentary Facebook page has answered for some questions about release: "The film will be ready by end of May :D / Information will follow soon! Check this page regularly!"

So, everything is alright.
Last edited by korovnikovd on Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
korovnikovd

Postby MarkusHasADeadache » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:57 pm

http://dome.fi/elokuvat/ajankohtaista/l ... k-floors-2

The documentary is coming out on September 26th. The article is in Finnish but that's the main bit of info to take away from it.
MarkusHasADeadache

Postby monsterboy » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:22 pm

I found this weird video on YT I think it must be a teaser of the upcoming Lordi movie :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YEHfZOJDLI
Last edited by monsterboy on Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Session) Drummer Ash

"Just support the band that you dig.
That´s your "job", That's what makes the rockmachine rolling
".
- Mr. L

I LOVE OTUS! Proud to be a Lordi fan!
monsterboy

Postby korovnikovd » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:40 pm

Oh, yeah! Something awesometacular this way comes! Seems like we'll see some facts from Mr L's private life (I mean family, childhood, etc). The band has always been hiding things like that. :roll:
korovnikovd

Postby Isa » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:14 pm

And Mie Oon Lordi ?

It's full of childhoold, family and so on. How would we know that OX is half egyptian except because band say it in that book. Only difference is that here we see it and that people who ain't finnish will FINALLY not be put appart like with book
Our Daddy is the best 'cos he sincerly love us
Isa

Postby miss_brutality » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:30 pm

:shock: That's so exciting!!!
Forever and Always!
miss_brutality

Postby Milred Sandman » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:17 pm

So are they going to talk in finnish? Meh, I thought Mr.L would be talking in english in the documentary... Hello subtitles.... :roll:

''My Monsters Keep Me Company''
Milred Sandman

Postby ksco » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:44 pm

Milred Sandman wrote:So are they going to talk in finnish? Meh, I thought Mr.L would be talking in english in the documentary... Hello subtitles.... :roll:

I thought the same.. but if it'll be in the cinemas all around the world like I heard it'll be good BUT I think it'll be only in Finland and maaaaaybe in some cinemas in Germany and Czech Rep., but I wish that it'll be on DVD with subtitles in english and then I will buy it for sure :) Cuz I'm not living in a dream about polish subtitles there :roll:
ksco

Postby Glamlet » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:28 pm

Anyone else think that sounds like Kita at the end of that teaser?
Glamlet

Postby _SYNDICATE_ » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:45 am

Excuse my language but what the actual fuck is this shit? Is it a documentary on Lordi and Mr. Lordi or a guy called Tomi? No costume, speaking finish and showing the face(covering the eyes doesn't mean shit) - this is everything the band was against when they started. It wasn't even a suggestion that they were mortal people, they were monsters. I feel ashamed as a fan since early teens, it's really heart breaking to see what people do for a buck.

Video below shows how they accepted their award back in the day, nowadays they would give him a peck on the cheek and would tell an emotional acceptance speech. Disgusting, Mr. Lordi should know better as a fan of KISS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8SGELx ... AI-NdweaFw
_SYNDICATE_

Postby miss_brutality » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:57 am

_SYNDICATE_ wrote:Excuse my language but what the actual fuck is this shit? Is it a documentary on Lordi and Mr. Lordi or a guy called Tomi? No costume, speaking finish and showing the face(covering the eyes doesn't mean shit) - this is everything the band was against when they started. It wasn't even a suggestion that they were mortal people, they were monsters. I feel ashamed as a fan since early teens, it's really heart breaking to see what people do for a buck.

Video below shows how they accepted their award back in the day, nowadays they would give him a peck on the cheek and would tell an emotional acceptance speech. Disgusting, Mr. Lordi should know better as a fan of KISS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8SGELx ... AI-NdweaFw

I feel you. I had that moment of realization things have changed a couple of years ago ... it fucking sucks. I don't support the dropping of the "What masks" image at all. at the end of the day I've been a supporter of the band for years and years. And i will continue to be one for as long as it exists. So maybe take some time to let it go :D and return here for the new album when you will have more reasons for positive emotions. Cause that what music and art is mainly for after all. :wink:
Forever and Always!
miss_brutality

Postby Isa » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:30 am

I have impress that they didn't really choose or better say that they adapt themself

I veryyyy rarely saw any press article in finnish where their name isn't added. Less with foreign article but still you can't do without know that Mr Lordi name is Tomi

The fans also search MUCH MORE then in past. Take the % of fans who really see them like just monsters (and don't want to see more) and the % of those who know how they look outside, their EVENTUAL other band and all and you will see that the second part is much bigger then in past.

In 2006-2007 I remember that some fans where looking at every info before share it for being sure the other fans who doesn't want to know can go see. Now it's on who can give the maximum of info and we don't care if we spoil others or not

When much more fans know, if they really would had keep this "it isn't mask" they should had must keep it very low profil (even it's case of Amen and still we pretty all know who he is) and also they should had must keep a bigger distance with fans (like no we don't meet them ever without mask). They are humans, they have a life outside Lordi and it can be understand that they may want their life to be "normal" which mean be less strict on some point.

Before begin ask on band to be again more strict we need to ourself be again more strict and remember Lordi is Lordi, the rest isn't Lordi, isn't the monsters, it's musician like others.
Our Daddy is the best 'cos he sincerly love us
Isa

Postby Mooneyman » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:47 am

This is very much what I've been saying for what? Three years?

The fact of the matter is, ladies and gents - and this will probably hurt some of you - that most of Lordi's strength as an outfit is not with their music.
It never really is with a band concept like this - the 'virtual band' is not a new concept, the idea of preservation in fiction - and I once wrote an article about this - is immensely important when it's the main feature of a group from the day it leaves the drawing board.

The biggest flaw of this documentary is that...well, prop production, mask concepts, music making - none of it is really new. And Lordi's techniques aren't really new either.

A virtual band without fail fares better with what we call a 'mockumentary', which offers to preserve fiction in music and maintain the band's fictional image as an integral fact, even makes light of it, shows people being hurt, makes comedy of the idea that the musician is a horrible egoist, or that the cartoon band members are alive, or that the band really are creatures from alternate dimensions, that a band really is a group of murderers, etc.

Lordi deserve respect for doing the multimedia thing - it's an expensive process. But the multimedia should be cementing an angle, not pulling it apart.

Virtual bands are a grey zone. If you go all the way, some will think it's ridiculous but at least think it's respectable you're doing it so thoroughly and creatively.

If you show yourself doing this stuff, pull down a curtain, show this man making masks laid out on a table...well, fair enough, they're good masks. They look ace! But this forty year old man is dressing up in rubber costume on stage.

It's much, much easier to detract from a person than it is from a character.

A lot more intelligence needs to applied to a project such as this than has been put into it - a behind the scenes doc works great when people want to see behind the scenes - but does anybody who really loves the monster side of Lordi, the rebellious 'stay out of the public eye' standpoint the group has stood by through the most popular spell of their career - want to see this mystery being pulled down entirely?

To make matters worse, it's in Finnish language - when the band have far more potential audience with an English release. The group's Finnish only media is going to suffer by nature - they have trouble even getting gigs booked in their home region.

There's difference between seeing a photo of the real people on google search and seeing they themselves pull apart an idea they've had built so well for so long. There's much more genuine vulnerability in this situation.

It's a questionable idea. A questionable idea on marketing standpoints, media standpoints and even in a more musical standpoint. Nobody wanted to see KISS unmasked either... (I hear after seeing Gene's face they begged for him to put it back on :wink:)

Stage personality should be dropped when in the presence of closer fans and friends. An informal situation. Not in a few thousand pounds worth of documentary.
Mooneyman

Postby ginacartoon » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:31 am

Just like what both _SYNDICATE_ and Mooneyman said, I have to agree, as I too miss the era of "what masks" that's what made them fun, saying that they're monsters and what not.

But seeing this documentary about BEHIND the "masks"....kinda takes that away and with the guys lately saying costumes...I'd rather if they said they're either getting a makeover or getting new skins, but having to see the documentary, the magic of seeing them as monsters....kinda vanishes ya know?

For this "monster" fan, I'll be avoiding this documentary...sorry guys!
ginacartoon

Postby Dr. Sin » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:12 pm

I'm a bit surprised to see some of you making such a big deal of it. So far the only new thing we've seen is Mr. L's mother saying she's proud of her son. We had childhood pictures in Mie Oon Lordi. We had Lordi's real life backgdound story in Mie Oon Lordi. We had their real names in Mie Oon Lordi.

Lordi is an audio-visual entirety, but the maint point is still music. It's true Lordi wouldn't be Lordi without the masks – as described by Mr. L, Lordi would then be just a bunch of fat dudes playing heavy metal – but they would indeed be still playing. If Lordi were to split up, the Big L would probably start a new project. That's what I've heard him saying.

For me, Lordi is all about music. It's brilliant, the music. The costumes and the story, the visual stuff, it's a big fat bonus. The music is pure awesomeness, AND they look friggin' rad when performing it? Why the hell not. Cover art is awesome, new costumes have yet been gold. But they wouldn't have to be, for me personally. Because I love the music.

Well, that became more of a statement of personal opinion rather than anyhting else. Sorry about that.
Dr. Sin

Postby MarkusHasADeadache » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:26 pm

Dr. Sin wrote:Well, that became more of a statement of personal opinion rather than anyhting else. Sorry about that.

No need to apologize for anything. After all, what can one offer but their own personal opinion? This is what all of this ultimately comes down to. There's no such thing as an objective truth when it comes to stuff like this and trying to claim otherwise would be delusional, I feel. That's one of the most important realizations I've come to in the past year or so in my media studies classes at university, if I may go on a bit of a tangent here. I used to have a view of movies that I feel many people have where I felt there was a difference between movies that I due to my own personal tastes enjoyed and movies that were actually objectively good whether I myself enjoyed them or not. But what I've come to realize is that any attempt to be somehow objective is a waste of time because you're never gonna be able to be fully objective. All of people's opinions one way or another come down to what values they hold, and there is no such thing as an objectively good thing.

Take for example, again, movies. If a film critic praises say a Godard film for being experimental and holds it as being more valuable than a Hollywood film because they feel Hollywood movies are a form of capitalist brainwashing and they feel a movie should get the viewer to pay attention to the artificial nature of cinema and to its form and mise-en-scène more than its story, then they hold that view because they have a certain way of viewing the world and they judge the movie based on certain values they hold. Whereas someone like myself fell in love with cinema for the very reason such a film critic specializing in art films would despise a conventional Hollywood film - because its a form of escapism. I admire and am in awe of the way films can tell stories that move us and transport us to other worlds and make us believe in fantastical things for a period of two hours, and for me a successful film is one that can tell me a story in a way that convinces me. So what I hold to be a good movie is vastly different compared to what someone who loves art films would feel is a good movie. And neither of us would be wrong in our opinions, neither of us is more educated than the other simply based on our personal preferences. We simply like and value different things, and judge things according to those values.

There's no objective way to measure good or bad, there are just different opinions on what sort of outcome is desirable. So I would not call any of the people above who feel somehow "betrayed" by Lordi wrong, because that is their opinion based on their own personal perceptions of what is good and what is bad, and I'd be damned if I tried to tell other people that their way of viewing things is a wrong one because I don't agree with it. If for someone a sense of mystery is a key component in what attracts them to Lordi, I can completely sympathize if they feel something is wrong when that is taken away. I and a lot of other people just don't agree with it. Do I like that aura of mystery? Yes, absolutely. I remember a few years back when Mr. Lordi was featured on an episode of a Finnish show called Mr. Mallorca kohteessa where Mr. L acted like a monster among ordinary people, not speaking a word and dragging a woman by the leg with him. I thought that was hilarious and I would love to see more of that from Lordi - the monsters just being monsters. But do I feel like anything not sticking to that concept is blasphemous and somehow ruins Lordi for me? Not really no. And the reason for that is that even though that sort of mystery was one of the things that attracted me to Lordi initially, it isn't the reason I've stayed with this band for, what, over eight years now. The reason I fell in love with Would You Love A Monsterman? when I first heard it a decade ago wasn't because I was excited by the mystery of the monsters. It was because I fell in love with the song.

Everything I love about Lordi is still in place - the music's still as good as ever to my ears, the monsters still look badass, there's still a theatrical stage show... The band is still the band that I fell in love with - the band that fuses my love for monsters and horror movies with my love for melodic 80s-influenced heavy metal. My dream band, essentially. So I have nothing to complain about. I mean I'm a huge fan of Ghost, for example, but while I do appreciate their dedication to the mystery of their image, that's not the reason I'm a fan. I'm a fan because I love the visual concept and I love the music. That's the same thing with Lordi. The mystery aspect isn't the foundation the house is built on for me and the whole thing doesn't fall apart like a house of cards without it - the house is still on solid ground and standing just fine. But if for someone that mystery is a big part of the foundation, I can understand disappointment.

As for this documentary, while there are a few people here who have expressed their displeasure with the whole venture, myself and a lot of other fans on the contrary have been waiting years on end for something like this. I think I remember Mr. Lordi teasing the idea of a documentary chronicling the band's history way back in 2006 already, so for a lot of us this documentary has been years in the making and is the culmination of a long wait, thus being nothing but a happy thing. I have no negative feelings on any of this - I am absolutely overjoyed that this documentary is finally happening and I will be in the theater opening day to see it. ;) I actually agree with Dr. Sin on the fact that I'm honestly a little surprised to see some people here so up in arms about all of this all of a sudden seeing as how this is nothing new to Lordi. I would've imagined that if this stuff was that big of a deal to someone that they would've raged and been done with it years ago. Where've you been all these years if this is all suddenly so new and scandalous to you?

But at the end of the day you can't please everyone, and if you try you end up pleasing no one. In the end, I feel all of this comes down to the following:

ginacartoon wrote:For this "monster" fan, I'll be avoiding this documentary...sorry guys!

That's the beauty of it - for those of us who have been waiting years for this documentary and are overjoyed about it, this is a dream come true because we finally get to see the documentary. But for those fans who feel like it'll ruin something for them, they have the easy option of simply not watching the documentary. Simple as that. ;) Just like how if someone doesn't want the magic of a movie ruined for them by seeing how everything was put together, they can simply just not watch the behind-the-scenes documentaries and just stick to the movie. But for people such as myself who are fascinated by the film making process, those documentaries are nothing short of a real treat.
MarkusHasADeadache

Postby Police Line Do Not Cross » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:27 pm

Dr. Sin wrote:I'm a bit surprised to see some of you making such a big deal of it. So far the only new thing we've seen is Mr. L's mother saying she's proud of her son. We had childhood pictures in Mie Oon Lordi. We had Lordi's real life backgdound story in Mie Oon Lordi. We had their real names in Mie Oon Lordi.

Lordi is an audio-visual entirety, but the maint point is still music. It's true Lordi wouldn't be Lordi without the masks – as described by Mr. L, Lordi would then be just a bunch of fat dudes playing heavy metal – but they would indeed be still playing. If Lordi were to split up, the Big L would probably start a new project. That's what I've heard him saying.

For me, Lordi is all about music. It's brilliant, the music. The costumes and the story, the visual stuff, it's a big fat bonus. The music is pure awesomeness, AND they look friggin' rad when performing it? Why the hell not. Cover art is awesome, new costumes have yet been gold. But they wouldn't have to be, for me personally. Because I love the music.

Well, that became more of a statement of personal opinion rather than anyhting else. Sorry about that.

I agree 100% with this post. No big deal really.
Police Line Do Not Cross

Postby korovnikovd » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:43 pm

You had Mie Oon Lordi - I had not. Even if the movie doesn't have too much new stuff for die-hards - ok, then I'll finally "read" that book.

And I am sure - it will be an interesting film, if you didn't find anything interesting in the trailer, it means you didn't find anything interesting in the trailer but not in the entire film.
korovnikovd

Postby Monsta » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:58 pm

Lordi threw away their monster image the moment Mr Lordi started to speak on stage. I wasn't even there at the time, but 2002-2004/2005(?) really was their "monster years." From the moment he started doing his speeches some of that magic vanished, and year after year it has become more and more of a reality that they in fact ARE just a bunch of people in costumes and nobody in the band even cares to change that.

As I said, I wasn't even there at their golden era. Lordi is and will always remain my favourite band, no matter what. But the real "monster image" is something they have decided to gradually throw away and something they never will be able to regain. It's a real pity, to be honest.
Monsta

Postby _SYNDICATE_ » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:42 am

Someone was saying here that it all come down to music. I agree. But isn't the characters who pull the lyrics together? Bio-mechanic Man, Kalmageddon, Pet The Destroyer and a bunch of stories are based on characters and Big L being a demon as a whole. Music WOULD NOT WORK without the costumes and the back story and that's a fact.

At the moment I'm listening to My Heaven Is Your Hell, listen to it without having monster image in your mind. Without that it's an overweight person stalking someone, would you enjoy it on you first listen not taking into consideration the cool riffs and stuff?

As a fan outside Finland who doesn't speak Finnish it was really easy to not be bothered with all the behind the scenes stuff 'cos pretty much everything before(Mie Oon Lordi, videos, interviews, etc.) were in their language and didn't went out much outside the country. And I guess that's the reason they lost their popularity there ages ago and some people are even mocking them, because they've already put themselves out in Finland.

It's sad to watch 40 year old man to put the costume on and watch him talk about his imaginary alter-ego. It's way easier when you just see monsters rocking out.
_SYNDICATE_

Postby Dr. Sin » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:30 pm

_SYNDICATE_ wrote:Someone was saying here that it all come down to music. I agree. But isn't the characters who pull the lyrics together? Bio-mechanic Man, Kalmageddon, Pet The Destroyer and a bunch of stories are based on characters and Big L being a demon as a whole. Music WOULD NOT WORK without the costumes and the back story and that's a fact.

At the moment I'm listening to My Heaven Is Your Hell, listen to it without having monster image in your mind. Without that it's an overweight person stalking someone, would you enjoy it on you first listen not taking into consideration the cool riffs and stuff?

As a fan outside Finland who doesn't speak Finnish it was really easy to not be bothered with all the behind the scenes stuff 'cos pretty much everything before(Mie Oon Lordi, videos, interviews, etc.) were in their language and didn't went out much outside the country. And I guess that's the reason they lost their popularity there ages ago and some people are even mocking them, because they've already put themselves out in Finland.

It's sad to watch 40 year old man to put the costume on and watch him talk about his imaginary alter-ego. It's way easier when you just see monsters rocking out.

Well, if there are lyrical monsters, that doesn't require anyone to act like them or be them. They are lyrics. One of my favourite bands, Turmion Kätilöt, has a song lyrics where it says, freely translated, "I'm a haunted creature marinaded in urine". I'm prettty sure the lead singer doesn't actually agree with that statement, even imaginarily. :P And yet, the song has very cool lyrics.

Lordi losing their popularity in Finland has not very much to do with the revelations about their private lives, I'm afraid. It has most to do with that they were only falsely popular when they were popular. I mean, none of those Eurovision bullshit people actually liked them really, they just listened to Lordi because it was popular and everyone did back then. When they became "snow of last winter", as we Finns sometimes say, only those who really liked the music and/or the image stayed and the left, for some illogical reason started to hating them. For a pretty long time hating Lordi was in and popular, and that's why liking Lordi has become kind of a taboo, which is of course ultimately sad and insane, even. There are still Lordi fans in Finland, as well. Even though there was a phase when listening to Lordi could lead to bullying in school etc. I don't know if it still does.

When they first started to show up in public with WYLAM, they were, for most people, a one trick pony. When Monsterican Dream came out, only the true fans stayed and the rest were like, "Oh, why do they continue? The joke isn't funny anymore." It's like the Eurovision thing but not in such a big scale.

Why did they stop acting like real monsters off-stage? I think that's because it became a burden. When Mr. L and the rest of the band started speaking Finnish, they said it was because not speaking Finnish was such a hard task and for no reason, really. I think acting like monsters off stage was pretty much the same as not speaking Finnish in front of the cameras.

In my opinion it's not sad to "watch 40 year old man to put the costume on and watch him talk about his imaginary alter-ego". It's just interesting that someone has so much enthusiasm for something. He does what he likes to do, he lives his dream, pretty much. Even though they don't try to eat their interviewers, the costumes are a cool part of the stage show and overall image. That's enough for me.
Dr. Sin

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion