Monsterboard

Lordi Documentary coming out 2014

Talk about anything and everything LORDI-related - in English.

Moderators: Hemitys, psyanide, Nightmare Wings Hell

Re: Lordi Documentary coming out 2014

Postby Isa » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:34 pm

If I could put "I like" on that last answer I would
Our Daddy is the best 'cos he sincerly love us
Isa

Postby Maddy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:30 pm

100% agreeing with Dr. Sin here :!: Very well said.

I just don't get why so many of you are freaking out about this documentary now..
This will be a lot of fun to watch and also great to learn a little bit more about the background of the band. :)
I am not really worried that they will show their faces or anything, that's simply not what the people care about anymore.

Looking forward to see this madness soon! :mrgreen:
Sacred and Wild.

Postby monsterknight » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:14 pm

monsterknight

Postby ginacartoon » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:35 pm

I must say I giggled at the end of that trailer
ginacartoon

Postby Joni Master » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:31 pm

I love this documentary but everytime when I see Lordi mask but now the costume I feel little bit confused. Specially that scene where he is smoking end of that trailer. :roll:
Joni Master

Postby MarkusHasADeadache » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:08 pm

Dr. Sin wrote:Lordi losing their popularity in Finland has not very much to do with the revelations about their private lives, I'm afraid. It has most to do with that they were only falsely popular when they were popular. I mean, none of those Eurovision bullshit people actually liked them really, they just listened to Lordi because it was popular and everyone did back then. When they became "snow of last winter", as we Finns sometimes say, only those who really liked the music and/or the image stayed and the left, for some illogical reason started to hating them. For a pretty long time hating Lordi was in and popular, and that's why liking Lordi has become kind of a taboo, which is of course ultimately sad and insane, even. There are still Lordi fans in Finland, as well. Even though there was a phase when listening to Lordi could lead to bullying in school etc. I don't know if it still does.

As a fellow Finnish fan who saw this happen in my school and in the media at the time I can confirm this is pretty much what went on. But I do have another angle to it as well that I think contributed to the whole thing, and that's a certain aura of nationalism in Finland. Before Eurovision there were tons of people in Finland who either hated Lordi or couldn't give a rat's ass about 'em. But as soon as they won Eurovision, they all suddenly loved Lordi. And the reason for this, I feel, for a lot of these people was that they saw Lordi - or more specifically Finland - winning Eurovision as an opportunity for them to make themselves feel better as Finns. Because someone from Finland accomplished something, these people somehow felt like they too had accomplished something by default. These are the type of people who sit on their couches and feel bitter because they haven't done anything with their lives and will latch onto anything that will help them soothe their own lack of self-esteem - at least for a little while. If it's not Lordi winning Eurovision, it's Finland's hockey team winning the World Cup or some other equivalent of such an event. So these people loved Lordi for just as long as they could leech off of them and feed their own damaged egos. But as soon as the next big thing came along and Lordi became irrelevant to their needs, they became resentful of them and tossed them aside. They weren't happy for Lordi's success anymore because there was nothing for them to gain from it anymore. So instead these people reverted to jealousy. "Why are THEY doing well when it doesn't benefit ME?" Lordi was a fad for these people and as soon as they deemed Lordi's fifteen minutes of fame to be up they moved on to the next big thing and felt Lordi's rightful place was to fade away into obscurity and be forgotten.

ginacartoon wrote:I must say I giggled at the end of that trailer

Likewise - big bad monster struggling to get down some stairs. XD

Joni Master wrote:I love this documentary but everytime when I see Lordi mask but now the costume I feel little bit confused. Specially that scene where he is smoking end of that trailer. :roll:

Honestly I sort of agree. I mean the point I tried to make in my previous post still stands - I don't really care whether Mr. Lordi talks about wearing costumes in interviews or not, whether he acts like a monster or not. I don't care whether we see the puppeteer behind the curtain or not - either way the puppet's still cool as hell. But I would still prefer there to be some sort of distinction between the two personas. Seeing Mr. Lordi mid-transformation is sort of jarring, as opposed to just seeing him before and after. But you know, I'm still very much looking forward to this documentary and will still be seeing it as soon as it comes out.
Last edited by MarkusHasADeadache on Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm who I am and this is what I do!"
"In the name of the Lordi..."
Miss-Elodia - my naughty Lordi girl. <3
MarkusHasADeadache

Postby Isa » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:53 pm

Me it's the opposite. I like that scene where he smoke at same time he's wearing his mask.

It can be that it come of fact I read a lot of fan fiction but for me it somewhere fit with the idea I do me of L persona. When I imagine him in his "real" life it's always so I imagine him even I know how he look. Can be it also come from fact that I don't see him as a pure monster (what in my way to say isn't a bad things).

When you know what for nice persons they are outside it become hard to still see them like monsters who kill and are bad. For example when I hear him do the monster shriek I also will remember his laugh who isn't monstrous.
Isa

Postby Nightmare Wings Hell » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:37 am

I wonder how many royalties Gene Simmons is getting from all that KISS imagery in the trailer.
Actually I'm a Plumber.
Nightmare Wings Hell

Postby Mooneyman » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:20 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well at least it doesn't try to show it as a promotional project!!

'There's no point in going on', 'The band's in hundreds of thousands of euros of debt'

That'll sell them, oh yes! :wink: Ahhh, dear... it doesn't exactly show them as heroes or a successful project, does it? I don't want to watch a documentary about a band's figures plummeting. We all know that by this point there's been no improvement. It sounds like something I'd put together to take the piss.

Ah well. I appreciate its honesty...

Nightmare Wings Hell wrote:I wonder how many royalties Gene Simmons is getting from all that KISS imagery in the trailer.

I hear his lawyers are getting into their batmobile as we speak. Eating their matzah balls and pickled herring.
Mooneyman

Postby korovnikovd » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:42 pm

Well, the infographics tells everything. So let's hope for the success of the film.

korovnikovd

Postby Mooneyman » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:43 pm

korovnikovd wrote:Well, the infographics tells everything. So let's hope for the success of the film.

Didn't Babez later take a couple of months to reach 1,000 sales in Finland? And then did we ever get told of To Beast's figures?

Hell, maybe this will tell us the finer details, such as the restaurant closing, the action figures never arriving, the 'cool shit' amounting to one release, funding being cancelled...

Ladies and gentlemen, this may be a vehicle to give us answers for a complete lack of communication.
Mooneyman

Postby _SYNDICATE_ » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:53 am

Well, when you think about it there's no way for band like Lordi to make money these days. Records don't bring any money for any artists(well, it brings pennies unless you're one of the biggest acts in the world and go by very big numbers every album) - touring is the main source of income, but that doesn't work out for them as they spend money every time they need to perform because of the show. What's left? Merchandise - not enough hardcore fans to sell out(I can see most of the stuff being discounted after some time), I guess the only person buying stuff is Joni(just kidding of course :D ).

I know the trailer is put together a certain way to keep people intrigued, but I believe that the band will quit after next album(Scare Force One, seriously?) and we're the last fans standing.
_SYNDICATE_

Postby Isa » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:39 am

If they would quiet they could have done it after Otus's death.

It's since years now that they have more hard and still they did 3 album more after Deadache. Of course it's a adaptation and yeah it can be that they can't offer as much pyro and so on as before. About t-shirt there is a lot of t-shirt who where sale during tour and never come out in store 'cos where sold out too.
Isa

Postby Mooneyman » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:46 am

_SYNDICATE_ wrote:Well, when you think about it there's no way for band like Lordi to make money these days. Records don't bring any money for any artists(well, it brings pennies unless you're one of the biggest acts in the world and go by very big numbers every album) - touring is the main source of income, but that doesn't work out for them as they spend money every time they need to perform because of the show. What's left? Merchandise - not enough hardcore fans to sell out(I can see most of the stuff being discounted after some time), I guess the only person buying stuff is Joni(just kidding of course :D ).

I know the trailer is put together a certain way to keep people intrigued, but I believe that the band will quit after next album(Scare Force One, seriously?) and we're the last fans standing.

It's a touch off topic, but you'd be surprised.

It's not impossible - in fact, it's not in the slightest - it just takes a lot of very shrewd business sense. I've spoken to a few musicians with similar, very effect driven set ups, and all it really takes it cut backs, a focus on a better kind of multimedia, heavy marketing, no label, and, above all else, a finger constantly on the pulse. The scene's changed and Lordi are looking like a bit of a dinosaur - it has to be remembered that they're simply not KISS, or Rob Zombie, Or Motley, who are all big enough to get rich off of a label. An artist the size we're dealing with isn't plausible on a label. Never will be again.

An independent group makes four times the amount of cash on an album than a group on a label in the UK and US. It may vary for Scandinavian countries, but the world is changing for this approach because labels aren't realistic anymore. And saying 'don't be an idiot, buy our stuff' in your bloody booklet won't do a thing to change that. You need to be smarter than that.

Unfortunately that's just not happening.
Mooneyman

Postby Joni Master » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:07 pm

korovnikovd wrote:Well, the infographics tells everything. So let's hope for the success of the film.

Babez sold 0?
Joni Master

Postby korovnikovd » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:16 pm

Joni Master wrote:Babez sold 0?

Unlikely. I've got this album, so at least 1 copy is sold.
korovnikovd

Postby MarkusHasADeadache » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:20 pm

Joni Master wrote:

Babez sold 0?

Of course it didn't sell zero - I'm assuming the reason for the chart looking the way it does is that the scene was probably shot shortly after the album's release, meaning they probably didn't have any set numbers to go on yet. Or at least that's my assumption, but of course I'm no expert so I could be dead wrong on this. We'll just have to wait and see the documentary to know for sure what the scene is and what the context is.
MarkusHasADeadache

Postby korovnikovd » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:29 pm

They started shooting the film during Babez era when the number of sold copies was unknown. But as we can see in the trailer, they touched To Beast era (Hellfest 2013), I wonder, are we going to see the process of making new costumes or how the band solved their financial problems recording new album...
korovnikovd

Postby MarkusHasADeadache » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:34 pm

korovnikovd wrote:They started shooting the film during Babez era when the number of sold copies was unknown. But as we can see in the trailer, they touched To Beast era (Hellfest 2013), I wonder, are we going to see the process of making new costumes or how the band solved their financial problems recording new album...

Again we'll only know for sure once the documentary is out and people have seen it, but I'm assuming it's probably gonna end on a high note and have some form of a happy ending.
MarkusHasADeadache

Postby the vampir » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:35 pm

Joni Master wrote:

Babez sold 0?

You can't see the bar for Babez because Mr. L's head and hand are in front of it. If you look closely you will see a that there's a tiny bit of the bar of the Babez sale numbers barely visible just beneath Mr. L's hand. :wink:
the vampir

Postby Joni Master » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:38 pm

the vampir wrote:
Joni Master wrote:

Babez sold 0?

You can't see the bar for Babez because Mr. L's head and hand are in front of it. If you look closely you will see a that there's a tiny bit of the bar of the Babez sale numbers barely visible just beneath Mr. L's hand. :wink:

Ok, looks bad then. :roll:
Joni Master

Postby MarkusHasADeadache » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:10 pm

the vampir wrote:
Joni Master wrote:

Babez sold 0?

Well would you look at that - so there is. Thank you for pointing that out, the vampir! What keen eyes you have. ;)
MarkusHasADeadache

Postby Dr. Sin » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:58 am

People. I have a suggestion. As a good friend of mine, Riemu, lately said in our conversation, that financial stuff was from the time, probably, when the band though they could get some money touring Finland.

Well, certainly, they didn't.

That is a sad thing because we have ZERO Finnish gigs nowadays. But it should mean they at least don't have such a huge debt anymore. They've probably made some new money outside Finland, because they ARE somewhat popular in central Europe and such. So yeah. Maybe things are better nowadays, financially. :3
Dr. Sin

Postby anushka » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:03 pm

When I read your post here about band's money and the problems with them..... I somehow have feeling like it's not our business at all. I think you're caring too much about such things :wink:
"Hella's Forsaken Dolls Team"
anushka

Location: In Monsterland with my only one egyptian god ^^// Czech rep., F28

Postby Milred Sandman » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:55 pm

anushka wrote:When I read your post here about band's money and the problems with them..... I somehow have feeling like it's not our business at all. I think you're caring too much about such things :wink:
I think you are right on that it isn't our business to know about the bands economy, but I think the reason why we talk about it is because we don't want the band to vanish....(ofc)

But i'm really looking forward to this! Hopefully the documentary will be available for everyone 2 see it on the bigscreen!

''My Monsters Keep Me Company''
Milred Sandman

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion