Monsterboard

Translation help

Talk about anything and everything LORDI-related - in English.

Moderators: Hemitys, psyanide, Nightmare Wings Hell

Translation help

Postby Kitawa » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:57 am

We all know Lordi is a Finnish band and therefor there are lots of interviews and other stuff that has been made in Finnish only. Since I enjoy translating stuff, I'd like to offer a helping hand here. Post here links to something you find interesting and would like to be translated from Finnish to English, and I'll do my best. If there are other Finns like me who enjoy doing this, they are welcome to share the work. :D However, please understand that I am a mere human and often busy, so I won't translate "Mie oon Lordi" or any other enormous publication. But a page every now and then, or a few minutes of a recorded interview; bring it on!

Also, Maddy is kindly offering her help here if translations from German are requested for.
Last edited by Kitawa on Sun May 12, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13
Kitawa

Re: Translation help

Postby Monsterlady38 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:47 pm

Any way you can translate this interview for me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0WACBUzHbE

I don't know if videos are okay to do but it's okay if you can't. :wink:
"Honey honey lemme hug you like a spider, honey honey lemme give you evil love
Honey honey lemme kiss you like a viper, open up your heart, receive my evil love"

Blog | Instagram | FB | Lordi Army NA
Monsterlady38

Postby Kitawa » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:19 am

Hi Monsterlady38 and thanks for asking. I'll do that. Come check this topic after a couple of days and you'll find it here. :)
Kitawa

Postby Monsterlady38 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:31 am

Kitawa wrote:Hi Monsterlady38 and thanks for asking. I'll do that. Come check this topic after a couple of days and you'll find it here. :)

Will do, thanks Kitawa :)
Honey honey lemme kiss you like a viper, open up your heart, receive my evil love"

Monsterlady38

Postby Kitawa » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:31 pm

Here you have http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0WACBUzHbE translated by me:

0:04 woman: It (the new album) was recorded in the US just like the previous one. Why so?
0:07 Lordi: When we were doing the previous one we already decided then that we'd like to continue working with Michael Wagener. And because he is a German but living in the US, that means we have to go to the US to record if we want to do something with him. So it was just this kind of a logistic reason.

0:26: woman: Are you happy with the result?
0:28: Lordi: Yea! It'd be stupid for any artist to be let out of the studio if they're not happy with the result. You always should try to make a better (album) than the previous one.

(texts on screen:
Journalist: Riikka Luukkonen
Cameraman, editor: Terhi Liimu)

0:39: woman: You have big changes (in the band); there's a new drummer and a new keyboardist. How much are these seen on the new album?
0:46: Lordi: Well they are seen in the pictures... *laughs* Well, yea they are also heard, you see the playing style is very different, so... so at the same time as the music style changed a bit - well, no, not the music style, but let's say the arrangements were spiked a bit, so it is heard especially in drums quite a lot... now there's a bit more pepper in this soup...

1:09: woman: Is this in a way a "no pain, no gain" album? ...first Otus passed away and then... Awa left the group.
1:18: Lordi: The time between the release of the previous album and this album has been the hardest time of this band, most obviously, but well... we are winners already for ourselves at least, because we managed to get a good album done and it's unbelievable that we have a group together again. You know, it's never an easy process to change members in the crew and especially not if someone leaves like this, "without discussion". *utters a laughter*

1:45: woman: There's demand for you in Middle-Europe. Why is that?
1:48: Lordi: They have uderstanding for good things. In Middle-Europe *laughs* they have understanding for good things, that's how it must be said. It's because in there the die-hard fanbase has started to grow since the very first album. And that's the crop we are reaping now, the crop we have seeded in the past. But Finland is so small country when compared, for example, on this tour we have not one gig in Finland. It's just that Finland is so small country that you won't necessarily find demand here. But if they want, they will have us, if they just ask. But if no one asks for, it's kinda difficult to go there to the concert places and say "hello, hello, we came to play..." and then "no, that cannot be arranged, for we have the hippie-hop guys here today". It's the principles of supply and demand. We have supply here for sure... instance* can be found *laughs*... ehm, but it should meet the demand. But nooo, no, this is not - I emphasize Lordi is not fed up with, and Lordi is not very angry now, and I am not giving a ticking off to anybody, but the point is only that - these are just the facts. We would be very happy to play gigs in Finland if it's only sufficient to somebody, but we are not complaining and we don't grumble because in other places we do have gigs, so that's it. But it cannot be denied that it would be nice to go to your own bed and own home after the gig instead of some... hinder Bulgarian hotel.

3:21: woman: In Middle-Europe there are gigs for you. How do you feel about starting the tour?
3:24: Lordi: Well we are happy but also stressed and feel like panicking... the tour arrangements have just started and, and well...*sighs* trainings and such, so there's quite a lot of work to do. But it's always nice to go on a tour. You should ask after two weeks of the tour behind, then I'd already want to go home. *laughs*

3:50: Amen: Guys!... guys!...guyyyys!!
3:56: Lordi: Oh woe...

(last text on screen :D :
News
every day at 18:30)

my notes:
* instance: I am not sure what exactly he means by using the word "instanssi" (instance) here, it's a calque word anyway and I don't see how it fits the sentence because I never use such a word in this kind of context. Somebody explain to meeee! :lol:
Last edited by Kitawa on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kitawa

Postby Milred Sandman » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:22 pm

Thanks Kitawa!

It feels like every finnish interview is more interesting than the english ones! :lol:

Could you translate this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIrwlFXNY34

:)

''My Monsters Keep Me Company''
Milred Sandman

Postby Kitawa » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:27 pm

Hey Milred Sandman, glad to hear you liked it. :) Sure, I can do that interview. I think it might take 'til next week before I'll have time. We'll see.
Kitawa

Postby Monsterlady38 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:19 pm

Thanks for translating that interview for me Kitawa, :) I love watching Lordi interviews because most of them are funny but if I don't understand what they're saying it's harder. :lol: So thanks. :wink:

Monsterlady38

Postby Maddy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:32 pm

Kitawa wrote:Here you have http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0WACBUzHbE translated by me:

3:50: Amen: Guys!... guys!...guyyyys!!
3:56: Lordi: Oh woe...

I almost laughed my ass of, Amen is such a funny guy! :lol:

And also a big thanks from me for translating it, was really interesting to read it. :)

If you have any time could you maybe also translate this one? :) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sWvpChlfRw
Sacred and Wild.

Postby Kitawa » Sun May 12, 2013 1:23 am

Thank you everybody for your feedback, I was delighted to read that is was not useless job I did with the interview, but you guys enjoyed having it translated. It makes me feel motivated. :)

Milred Sandman wrote:Could you translate this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIrwlFXNY34

Sorry to keep you waiting for so long. I've been kinda busy. But now I did it finally. Here you have my translation, I hope you enjoy! :mrgreen:

(0:00 text on the screen:
Mr. Lordi presents the new costumes of the band
Helsinki Sept. 8th 2010)

(0:04 photographer, almost inaudible: Very good (?).)

0:12 interviewer: Mr. Lordi, you have new polished costumes for the becoming tour. Please introduce a bit how everyone's costumes have changed.

0:19 Mr. Lordi: *laughs* Well they have changed from head to toe, so... *laughs again* The only pity is that actually the only one who still has a bit of some old (features in his costume) is in fact Kita, who happens to have fever today, but well... The characters have remained the same, but...

(Camera cuts to Mr. OX's hoofs.)

...but kinda... eh, the characters are the same but the junk is new and also there's some nip and tuck done to everyone as well, so...so if we take OX here for an example, he is wearing spring 2011 fashion. *laughs* Erm, OX has for example given up his Mohican he had earlie- or iroquois he had on previous album. Then OX has gotten some flesh to his face, like, on his bones, which he did not have earlier. And a nose ring, which is directly stolen-

(1:04: the interviewer: Stylish.)

1:04 Mr. Lordi: -stylish nose ring and a chain to the ear which is actually borrowed from and tributed to Skid Row's bassist Rachel Bolan, a heavy-hero of the 80s.

(Camera is zooming to Mr. OX's right arm.) Then OX has gotten chains. Umm... well, this is basically just this kind of... *laughs quietly*

(Camera is zooming to Mr. OX's left arm.) Well what else could I say? Ummm... well then he has, then, erm... ummm, like "chainmail", what is it called, mesh chain, chain-

(1:30 the interviewer: Chain shirt.)

1:31 Mr. Lordi: -chain shirt stuff, which is actually from Weta, that is Weta Workshop, with whom we did, like, props and show tricks for the previous tour. In other words, made by them is this... erm... erm, erm... chain shirt. So it is exactly the same stuff that was used in The Lord of the Rings on orcs and all those, so (speaks with theatrical proud tone:) it's the very autentic orc's... ahem, chain-... chain shirt.

(1:57 the interviewer: I guess this is enough.)
(1:58 Mr. Lordi: Then...)
(1:58 the interviewer: Let's take the next one.)
(1:59 Mr. Lordi: Is that so?)
(1:59 the interviewer, hardly audible: Then (?) there'd be...)

(Camera cuts to Lady Awa.)

2:00 the interviewer: Awa has gotten green colour.

2:02 Mr. Lordi: Awa has... Awa, "Awa goes green". Umm, erm, "Queer Eye: Lordi edition" *. *laughs* Awa, Awa also has next spring's fashion colour green. Umm, she has turned a lot more girly and younger from her previous costumes and masks, so that granny-like look has been left behind** and Awa has had about few hundred years cut off her, clearly, like, erm, from her essence. Umm what could I say- and the 80s have been clearly brought into Awa. Awa, like she has pretty pink earrings and pink lips (Awa touches slightly her right ear) and, and, and also nice upright hair, -cut. *bursts into laughter*

(Awa laughs, touches her hair and does some moves.)

Well what else could I say? But of course Awa also has parts from, like, the same molds, it's the same thing, there's something old as well, for instance Awa has that, that, what could it be called, buckle of belt, or that waist (Awa puts her hands around the piece to point it out)... f*cking flap there. It is, I think, from the Arockalypse era mold, two albums ago, from 2006, so we brought some old Lordi department there as well - or older, a bit, from somewhere back there.

(Camera cuts to Mr. Lordi's boots.)

3:19 Mr. Lordi: I've gotten, erm. I've got this 80s department here. That is, in form of heavy studs. And then snakes. And then, this must be the most colourful Lordi costume like, ever. So, here's, here's lots of colours, which hasn't been before, especially the last costume which was nearly fully black, and so this isn't. *utters a laughter* This one has blue undertone. And well...

(3:44 the interviewer: Is Lordi about to find some warm and happy side of himself, when colours... (inaudible).)

3:46 Mr. Lordi: Well, well if we speak about inside of the Lordi stall, then this is clearly like, erm, more vivacious album and more positive album than the previous one for example, but surely we are still a horror and monster band, so... it's still not that vivacious and sunny material, but well. What then, what else I could... could...

(4:09 the interviewer, hardly audible: Yea... maybe enough?)
(4:10 Mr. Lordi: *mutters as agreement*)

(4:11 text on the screen:
journalist: Mikko Räsänen
cameraman: Erkki Laine)

(Camera cuts to Mr. Amen.)

4:17 Mr. Lordi: Right then.

(Amen bursts into small laughter, Mr. Lordi does too.)

4:19 the interviewer: The man from the grave.
4:20 Mr. Lordi: Mm yea. Ma-, ma-...
4:20 the interviewer: Still the man from the grave.
4:21 Mr. Lordi: Still the man from the grave, the man of Egypt, one of those Egyptian guys... Um, Eiska*** has new earrings put on him. Shines nicely - yet. Um, alright, Amen is clearly, erm, is bit of a combination of the first Amen and then the latest, the Amen from the previous album. So we returned to this basic mummy spirit in such way that we brought, brought back these wraps, shrouds, that he used to have on the first and the second album but then they have decreased, like on the previous album... If we had followed the same trend we did during the previous album costumes, then that'd mean he was to be naked by now. I mean there shouldn't be any leathers, so... (Amen grabs one of the leather pieces he has in front of his groin) Erm, this is, Eiska*** has returned to his roots. In a way. And, and, and what I find funny, no uh, let's say what I like about this new costume of Amen is that it's pretty colourless. It's, it's like, it is like mainly white and grey, so it's propably gonna look good on stage when colour lights... colour lights can be used to colour the buddy with different colours. Mm yeah. Other than that, he looks like a very happy, springlike person.

my notes:
* "Queer Eye": He is referring to the Finnish version of this TV-show: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queer_Eye
** "pädeen": Uses a slang term which I am not quite familiar with, but I assume it means "behind".
*** "Eiska": Finnish nickname for Mr. Amen, widely used among Finnish Lordi fans and by Mr. Lordi himself as well. Based on English pronunciation of the name Amen, which would be written "Eimen" in Finnish.
Last edited by Kitawa on Sun May 12, 2013 5:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kitawa

Postby Kitawa » Sun May 12, 2013 1:59 am

Maddy wrote:If you have any time could you maybe also translate this one? :) :

Hmmm. That's kinda tough one. You see, the previous interview, which was 5+ minutes long, took me about 3 hours to translate into the writing you have above here. xD I know it sounds kinda crazy, but I want to do thorough job and finding fitting words for Mr. Lordi's very distinctive use of the language is challenging at times (or might be that I am just slow like a slug :cry: ). But it's a lot of fun to do as well.

Now that interview is 7+ minutes...

EDIT: Okay, after giving it a second thought, I am gonna say yes. :D I am way too busy right now, but I will do it at some point during my summer break, which is June-July-August. I will give you a notification via PM when I get it done so you won't have to keep disappointing every time you return to this topic okay?

Thanks for asking. :)
Kitawa

Postby Isa » Sun May 12, 2013 9:30 am

Thanks, and what does Eiska mean ?

For being colorful with light he was, I sometime had call him the "mummy smurf" :lol:
Our Daddy is the best 'cos he sincerly love us
Isa

Postby Dr. Sin » Sun May 12, 2013 10:43 am

Isa wrote:Thanks, and what does Eiska mean ?

For being colorful with light he was, I sometime had call him the "mummy smurf" :lol:

Eiska is a nickname for Amen.
Dr. Sin

Postby Kitawa » Sun May 12, 2013 3:32 pm

Isa wrote:Thanks, and what does Eiska mean ?

You're welcome. Eiska does not have a meaning as a word itself. Like I stated in my notes below the translation, it's a popular nickname for Mr. Amen.
Kitawa

Postby Isa » Sun May 12, 2013 3:36 pm

I had wrong explain me, question was more "does it have a meaning" like Kita was jaw for example. Some nickname have still a meaning
Our Daddy is the best 'cos he sincerly love us
Isa

Postby Maddy » Sun May 12, 2013 4:05 pm

Thanks again alot for this nicely done translation!
And I want to add the point of a linguistics and translation student here:
You're done this all really great! You've described all the stuff that foreigners might not understand because of the different cultures. Also you tried to keep as close to the original as possible, so the 'entertainment' isn't lost here. It is still like Mr. Lordi could have said this right away in english. Plus those very useful explanations of some words!
Very good translation, keep it up that way! :D
(You should study linguistics and translation as a side subject if you ake me :P)

Kitawa wrote:
Maddy wrote:If you have any time could you maybe also translate this one? :) :

Hmmm. That's kinda tough one. You see, the previous interview, which was 5+ minutes long, took me about 3 hours to translate into the writing you have above here. xD I know it sounds kinda crazy, but I want to do thorough job and finding fitting words for Mr. Lordi's very distinctive use of the language is challenging at times (or might be that I am just slow like a slug :cry: ). But it's a lot of fun to do as well.

Now that interview is 7+ minutes...

EDIT: Okay, after giving it a second thought, I am gonna say yes. :D I am way too busy right now, but I will do it at some point during my summer break, which is June-July-August. I will give you a notification via PM when I get it done so you won't have to keep disappointing every time you return to this topic okay?

Thanks for asking. :)

Thank you for your answere. It is absolutly no problem if you don't want to do this interview or if you simply don't have enough time.
If you really would be so nice and do this it will be no problem for me to wait at all. :)
Just take the time you need! (I know how hard it is to do an adequate translation of an original text to a foreign language! :?)

I'd like to offer this to you guys aswell.
If there are any german interview (text/video/or whatever) you would love to read in english - feel free to post them here and I'll see what I can do for you guys. :)
But it's the same to me like to Kitawa. It might happen that those translation will take some time, because I'm kinda busy with the university every now and then.
Sacred and Wild.

Postby Kitawa » Sun May 12, 2013 4:18 pm

Isa wrote:I had wrong explain me, question was more "does it have a meaning" like Kita was jaw for example. Some nickname have still a meaning

Right. It really has no meaning. :) It's just a nickname close enough to his original name, but sounding more Finnish and therefor more familiar/cosy to Finnish people.

It's made up similar way as nicknames in Russia:

ANNA -> ANNUSHKA
EIMEN (Amen) -> EISKA
Kitawa

Postby Kitawa » Sun May 12, 2013 4:46 pm

Maddy, thank you for your generous feedback! <3 I had no idea you studied language stuff, so for me it means a lot to get this positive feedback, because lately I have started to think about translating as an option for future career... :) I just really enjoy doing it.

Thanks for your understanding with my time issues. I will eventually do the translation for that video for sure, because it's an interesting and funny one! Also, thanks for offering your help! I will keep you in mind if I find something "Lordish" in German. :wink:
Kitawa

Postby Maddy » Sun May 12, 2013 5:28 pm

Oh, you're welcome.
I'm always glad if I can give some positive feedback and it's even better when someone is feeling better after hearing it. :)
Yeah I do study languages but also different cultures, this is quite a large topic to study to be honest. But really interesting!
It's a great thought. There are always translators needed, so you should keep this as an option.
And this is on of the most important things, if you wouldn't enjoy those things you wouldn't be that good at it. So you can say (from reading your translations) that you really like it and you're putting your heart and soul into this. :D

Hehe, now I'm really looking forward to know what's going on in that one. *grins*
The pleasure is all mine. :wink:
Sacred and Wild.

Postby Kitawa » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:47 am

Hey Otus fans,
I have done a Fin->Eng translation of http://rumpu.net/?sivu=haastattelut#tonmi which is an interview with Tonmi Lillman done back in 2005, so a while before he was playing in Lordi. If you're interested, drop me a line by private message and I'll send you a copy of the interview.
Kitawa

Return to General discussion