Monsterboard

Costume making?

Talk about anything and everything LORDI-related - in English.

Moderators: Hemitys, psyanide, Nightmare Wings Hell

Postby judge death » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:22 am

I heard somewhere that his wife helps to make the costumes aswell.

Nah, you're right.

She's a wardrobe assistant or something like that after all so she can do a lot. There's a video where she fixes Amen's shoe, so she might helps with corrections and stuff.
Woha! :shock:
So Lordi´s wife is also a talented costume maker^^
I didn´t know this.
Thanks for the info.

Where is that video?
Theeee crimeee issssss lifeeeeee, theeee ssseeenteeeenceeeee isss DEATH!
I´m heeereeeee to cureeee you all from your ssssinnssssssss, I´m your ssssalvation.
judge death

Postby King » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:51 pm

Lordi´s wife also fix the costumes on the road!
I'm the carnivore Rex sinking fangs in your flesh!
King

Postby Linus » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:44 pm

NEMESIS666 wrote:in the uk its£ 50 for foam latex already set up but its only about £20 if u know what to make it out of lol why do you think its so much? its pretty cheap dot you think??

Dude, you should go with normal latex. Way cheaper and better if you're doing simple costume parts.

Way different when it comes to prosthetics... :D

- Linus
Linus

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:38 pm

I'm thinking about putting together some costumes... nothing like Lordi of course, just simple clothes with bits added on and stuff. I've already got a punk-zombie, im thinking about making a werewolf style one. All kitted out and no where to haunt
}=~M~I~M~M~={
Ade Due Demballa.
Because you can't spell Necromancer without Romance
Mad Madam Mimm

Postby NEMESIS666 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:18 pm

a large pot of latex could make one possibly two costumes costing £26 pounds including postage and packing and then, the bits to make it foam latex cost 3 pound for the foaming agent and a fiver for the other two ingrediants :D id only make the mask from the foam lol i could never afford to make it all from foam latex lol can only just affor the plain latex :S
NEMESIS666

Postby Dungeon Keeper » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:28 pm

I'm guessing you can order it off the net for a reasonable price, along with the right kind of clay for sculpting it? And what would you recommend for making reusable molds? I'm faking it with silicon caulking mixed with camp fire fluid. (You do what you gotta).

I also have a question about attaching hair to masks - how? Do you make a mask that covers the whole head and then attach the hair or do you make the facial part of the mask and attach the hair to the forehead (or wherever its supposed to go)? PM me if its too long and tedious to make other monsterboarders suffer through.
Dungeon Keeper

Postby Linus » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:50 am

Dungeon Keeper wrote:I'm guessing you can order it off the net for a reasonable price, along with the right kind of clay for sculpting it? And what would you recommend for making reusable molds? I'm faking it with silicon caulking mixed with camp fire fluid. (You do what you gotta).

I also have a question about attaching hair to masks - how? Do you make a mask that covers the whole head and then attach the hair or do you make the facial part of the mask and attach the hair to the forehead (or wherever its supposed to go)? PM me if its too long and tedious to make other monsterboarders suffer through.

Plaster, dear friend, PLASTER! If you can find a good plaster brand in the closest hobby store you're lucky as @#% (like me! :wink:).

Attatching hair to masks, eh? I haven't done it - yet - but I kinda know how to do it. You have to punch every hair in the mask you're doing with some kind of needle together some kind of glue. It sounds REALLY boring to me, so I will try to avoid hair-needing masks for a good while!

- Linus
Linus

Postby Dungeon Keeper » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:54 am

I think I need a little more clarification so I'll PM you and not bore the rest of the thread to death. I also think I'll only make a half mask because I'm not so masochistic to spend weeks putting hairs on strand by strand. Makes my wonder how much work went into the band's masks and admire Mr. Lordi's devotion to the whole process.
Dungeon Keeper

Postby NEMESIS666 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:15 am

grey clay it the best for the mask making and i was told about another way to make foam latex masks and thats to foam the latex with thickener and a mixer and then layer the latex. in other words, make one layer at a time :D tomorrow i start a new costume its taken me about a 4month to design and it should be finnished in a week or twos time :D i might take pictures in the process or make a video that shows how its all done just for the lordi fans on this forum :D
NEMESIS666

Postby Dungeon Keeper » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:21 am

That sounds awesome! I can't wait to see the results.
Dungeon Keeper

Postby NEMESIS666 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:27 am

dungeonkeeper please take some pictures of your project. id love to see it.
NEMESIS666

Postby Dungeon Keeper » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:02 am

Its a long way off yet, but I'll take pictures of planning sketches and the supplies as they're gathered gathered. The before and after of the dress should be fun. Its like a reverse make-over show: "Take this boring, tacky wedding dress and make it into a gown worthy of a vampire lady!"

On a related note did Mr. Lordi do the sewing for the capes, dresses, jackets, etc? If he did, I have even more admiration for the guy.
Dungeon Keeper

Postby Silmarwen Léralondë » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:20 pm

I think I'm going to make my costume for the next Lordi gig here in Scotland.
I Hide within the shadows.
I am the Queen of the dark elves which haunt your nightmares.
I am Silmarwen Léralondë
Silmarwen Léralondë

Postby wallahii » Thu May 29, 2008 2:12 pm

Iám going to do kita costume not face only costume .this is piscture from these two things what is ready only need spikes from that shoulder thing

sorry my bad english iám from finland :?

http://img261.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 912xr3.jpg
wallahii

Postby judge death » Thu May 29, 2008 6:34 pm

That is looking great! :P
But do more stuff and show it to us. :)
But maybe in a fanfic thread? Or not...
Theeee crimeee issssss lifeeeeee, theeee ssseeenteeeenceeeee isss DEATH!
I´m heeereeeee to cureeee you all from your ssssinnssssssss, I´m your ssssalvation.
judge death

Postby NEMESIS666 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:09 am

NEMESIS666 wrote:grey clay it the best for the mask making and i was told about another way to make foam latex masks and thats to foam the latex with thickener and a mixer and then layer the latex. in other words, make one layer at a time :D tomorrow i start a new costume its taken me about a 4month to design and it should be finnished in a week or twos time :D i might take pictures in the process or make a video that shows how its all done just for the lordi fans on this forum :D

As people know on here im not good with camras, so that costume and the newer costume pictures will be put up soon along with amen mask replica
NEMESIS666

Postby Mooneyman » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:51 pm

You can get kits from this website - they're expensive but fully professional - they send materials to professional companies, including the (I'm guessing) now defunct Morbid Industries.

http://www.monstermakers.com/
Mooneyman

Postby synni » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:22 am

Mooneyman wrote:You can get kits from this website - they're expensive but fully professional - they send materials to professional companies, including the (I'm guessing) now defunct Morbid Industries.

http://www.monstermakers.com/

I think the best (= cheapest) way to do things is to 'practice' with cheaper materials. You can get liquid latex and other stuff from normal prank shops too. For example adding toilet paper to the liquid latex allows you to make different kinds of shapes and doesn't cost you $75. Buying fully professional products doen't make anyone fully professional.
om asatoma sadgamaya
tamasoma jyotirgamaya
mrityorma amritamgamaya
om shantih shantih shantih
synni

Postby Mooneyman » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:03 pm

True, true, but for all I know there might be experienced costume makers lurking about. :lol: I, frankly, daren't try that sort of thing with any materials, my hands are too clumsy :P
Mooneyman

Postby Burning Sin » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:11 pm

guys, who made awa's costume =O ?
Lordi died with Kita
Burning Sin

Postby Nightmare Wings Hell » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:08 pm

Burning Sin wrote:guys, who made awa's costume =O ?

Mr. Lordi makes all the bands costumes.
Actually I'm a Plumber.
Nightmare Wings Hell

Postby Burning Sin » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:29 pm

Nightmare Wings Hell wrote:

But some1 said that he made all the costumes besides awas =O on page 1 or something
Lordi died with Kita
Burning Sin

Postby Nightmare Wings Hell » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:35 pm

Burning Sin wrote:

But some1 said that he made all the costumes besides awas =O on page 1 or something

From what I know, Mr. Lordi, with the help of his wife does all the costumes. The other bandmembers pitch in ideas, concepts, Mr. Lordi creates them. Same with Awa costume :wink:
Actually I'm a Plumber.
Nightmare Wings Hell

Postby Burning Sin » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:37 pm

aha ok =)

i think that awas costume is not the same style as the rest of the costumes, i dont know why. thats why i asked =)
Lordi died with Kita
Burning Sin

Postby Anthalerero » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:02 pm

Burning Sin wrote:

The only one which was not made by Mr. Lordi, was the Costume of lordi's former bass player Magnum. It was built by Magnum himself.
~ Proud member of the Kalmageddon Order ~

Never let them see behind the mask at all
The icon must never ever fall

*** ALL HAIL THE FREAKS!!! ***
Anthalerero

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion