Monsterboard

Lordi and GWAR (no comparison, just a question)

Talk about anything and everything LORDI-related - in English.

Moderators: Hemitys, psyanide, Nightmare Wings Hell

Lordi and GWAR (no comparison, just a question)

Postby Dark_Acolyte » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:45 am

All right, is it just me, or is anyone else here noticing that any time someone even mentions Lordi, some fan of GWAR has to interfere and start saying "GWAR will kick Lordi's ass any day!"

What's with that? First off, Lordi and GWAR are nothing alike, so there's no need to compare them.

And secondly, Lordi's not out there to put GWAR down. I certainly have nothing against GWAR, but you don't see any of us Lordi fans going to websites for GWAR and saying "Lordi will kick GWAR'S ass!"

Even on the Ozzfest page, people are calling Lordi a bunch of GWAR knockoff's (how far from the truth is that, huh?) and that GWAR is SO much better than Lordi and blah blah blah. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I'd appreciate it if they'd stop dissing Lordi on their websites and go praise GWAR on their websites.

Sorry 'bout all that, I just got done reading a Lordi article, plus a bunch of people dissing Lordi and praising GWAR on the comment section.

And like I said, I have absolutely nothing against GWAR, I have the utmost respect for them, I just don't like it when certain people go through all the trouble to visit the website of a band they don't even like, put them down and then praise another band. And that goes for any bands out there. I don't think it would be right for a Lordi fan to diss GWAR on their page either.

Plus, I’m wanting to see if anyone else notices that their hardcore fans keep defending them on Lordi’s pages.

But lemme know if any of you have noticed this as well.
Dark_Acolyte

Postby supercreeps » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:37 am

I've certainly noticed those Gwar comparisons. I believe it's just a sign of desperation.
supercreeps

Postby Beauty of the beast » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:51 pm

They all learn in the end, they realise Lordi isn't a joke and that they actually put effort into their songs.

Sorry I know I'm not hell-ping the non violent attitude we share here on GWAR but that's how people see Lordi at first in comparison.

Stay Heavy Monstermaniacs :twisted: .
Getting Heavy Since : 18,09,03
Hell-o I am me, who the Hell are you?
Proud Brother of the Unholy Ghost
Beauty of the beast
Ex-Moderator

Postby Bloody_Conscience » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:37 pm

That's funny, I don't remember GWAR winning any competitions like Eurovision or a crapload on awards. Wait a minute, that was Lordi. Weird, huh?

I don't mind GWAR, but they are nowhere as awesome as Lordi, and for those of you who think GWAR are better:

"...I'm locking you down in the cellar."
Bloody_Conscience

Location: In a small town called None of Your Damned Business

Postby Beauty of the beast » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:39 pm

Bloody_Conscience wrote:for those of you who think GWAR are better:

"...I'm locking you down in the cellar."

Haha that rhymed :P . I'll have to use that in the future. Good one.

Beauty of the beast
Ex-Moderator

Postby metalskull » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:27 pm

Well, I don't want to diss GWAR either, but fankly they suck. I tried downloading 1 of their songs, and I couldn't take the first 10 seconds. And guess what it was called: Penguin attack.

But Lordi have nothing to do with each other. They're not the only monsterbands. What about Slipknot? It's true, What Lordi does is not new. But no one does it quite like LoRdI :D .

But You have to admit Lordi are better then GWAR- after all, they sing about MEAT SANDWICHES, we have a full chainsaw buffet. :D

And While I'm saying this, I might as well say that Lordi aren't Kiss knockoffs either, they were inspired by them. There's a difference
metalskull

Postby Ida » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:22 pm

Haven't heard GWAR or so, But I wonder why GWAR fans acctually care to .. talk about Lordi and so on?

It's like, all Sleazers in Sweden hates HammerFall,yet they are talking about HammerFal all the time and wears HammerFall shirts (yet with a cross over, but you get what I mean.)
Swedish Lordi Crew
In Memorian - Kita|||Otus Vampire Trio|
Ida
B.A. Nana

Postby UnholyBeast » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:21 pm

Of course Lordi are the best - but I really like GWAR.
Their music is much more faster and more aggressive than Lordi's and I really like it. I couldn't hear their sound all day long, but I bought the two newest albums - called "War Party" and "Beyond Hell". Some songs are really - er - crazy, but most of them are great.
My favourits are:

War Party (great and fast)
Womb With A View (awesome guitar solo at the beginning!)
Tormentor (awesome guitar solo at about 3:00)
School's Out (I always play the song when I' coming home from school :lol: )
Bring Back The Bomb (fast...)
Saddam A Go-Go (Fuck Saddam! :)
UnholyBeast

Postby Orbett » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:46 pm

Never actually heard GWAR, but as Supercreeps said, chances are it's a sign of desepration in GWAR fan's cases that they see fit to come onto Lord's sight and knock them off. Maybe it's something to do with the fact that Lordi have so many awards and such a big fan base. I'm not trying to be sarcrastic or anything, it's an honest theory :P I can just imagine someone making a big plot on GWAR's forums that goes something like this...

"Ok, Lordi is getting better than us...we HAVE to go put them down! C'mon, everybody go create an account on Lordi's forums and lets go tell everybody the Lordi is a knock off of GWAR..."

Now that was being sarcarstic, sorry, I couldn't resist :twisted:
I see the world but as the world -
A stage, where every many must play a part...
And mine a sad one.
Orbett

Postby pelle12 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:33 pm

i must confess: i was totally unaware of the existence of the band called Gwar until i read some of those stupid comparisons ' lordi is a rip-off...'. There's no way one can compare Lordi to Gwar! Lordi is 1000% better , so in the end those stupid comparisons are just signs of total desperation and envy, not even worth commenting or paying attention to.
pelle12

Postby Dezalene » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:05 pm

You know, if you really think about it, you can always come up with comparisions between one band and another. Doesn't matter who it is or what the genre is, if that's what people truely believe, then they'll find some comparisions for everything.

Yes, there are some comparisions between Lordi and Gwar. Does that make them the same? Absolutely not! Hell, if I could be bothered to, I could create a list about why they're completely different. But the point is, that when one group of fans honestly believes that another band is ripping off their favourite, then they'll find everything under the sun to call the other band out for it.
~In November I lost my family. They took away all my friends and blamed insanity!~
New DA / Old DA
Dezalene

Postby Bowie » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:55 pm

Lordi and Gwar... OMG. Gwar is sooo lame and stupid. It wasn't until I read some of those stupid posts where some morons started to compare Lordi to Gwar that I checked the band out (I hadn't even heard of it before). And the result: I couldn't care less. My deepest apolpogies if there are any Gwar fans on this MB, but I must be honest: Gwar REALLY sucks.
Bowie

Postby metalskull » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:01 pm

Orbett wrote:"Ok, Lordi is getting better than us...we HAVE to go put them down! C'mon, everybody go create an account on Lordi's forums and lets go tell everybody the Lordi is a knock off of GWAR..."

So we fight back- Lordi VS GWAR

BTW, what does GWAR mean anyway?
metalskull

Postby S92 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:05 pm

Fighting back would be the dumbest thing to do and would get us fans a bad reputation and make us look pathetic.

S92
"Is that you, Roberto?"
S92

Postby metalskull » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:07 pm

I know, I was joking :P
metalskull

Postby The 13th Nightmare » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:40 am

I don't know why GWAR fans seem to think that Lordi are copying them. For starters if you compare the costumes, Lordi's look like they are straight out of a movie; and soon they will be :D While GWAR's costume seem to be more for a comical effect.
I think I remember reading somewhere that GWAR would sometimes perform without their costumes and go by the name RAWG I think. And that is something you won't see Lordi do.
I think I also remember reading somewhere GWAR's vocalist saying something along the lines of "Lordi are crap" in a magazine. I cant remember exactly what he said, but I'm sure it was along those lines. I think the main reason that he said that was because he is jealous of all the success Lordi has had.
I'm not trying to annoy any GWAR fans out there, but I have listened to a few GWAR songs since I first heard about them. But in my opinion, Lordi are the superior band
Heaven Doesn't Want Me Because I'm Too Evil. And Hell Doesn't Want Me Because They Are Afraid I'll Take Over
My Twitter
The 13th Nightmare

Postby Dark_Acolyte » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:10 am

metalskull wrote:
Orbett wrote:"Ok, Lordi is getting better than us...we HAVE to go put them down! C'mon, everybody go create an account on Lordi's forums and lets go tell everybody the Lordi is a knock off of GWAR..."

So we fight back- Lordi VS GWAR

BTW, what does GWAR mean anyway?

If my mind serves me correctly, methinks GWAR stands for God What An Awful Racket.
Dark_Acolyte

Postby Ragnor » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:57 pm

Lordi and GWAR aren't even in the same musicgenre...

GWAR has got this overload of insulting and offensive language in their songs, lordi hasn't. GWAR plays thrash metal, lordi hardrock. The only part of them that is similar is that they both wear costumes, BOOHOO :roll:
Ragnor

Postby SMF » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:17 pm

ICP and KISS wear make-up - The music is nothing alike.

Madonna and Wendy o Williams wore electric tape on their nipples - The music is nothing alike.

The Grateful Dead and Motley Crue both had songs about drugs - The music is nothing alike.

Point is, you can pick any band and find something another band has also done. ESPECIALLY IN THE SHOCK ROCK CATAGORY.

Lordi and GWAR may wear over the top costumes, but, if you notice, there are MANY more similarities to the old KISS costumes, check out the comparisons at www.pyromite.tk.

Music wise, Lordi and GWAR both play metal, yes, but different kinds.

Lordi is more comparable to KISS, Twisted Sister, WASP, Accept with a Freddy Kruger theme...

GWAR should be compared more to Stormtroopers of Death, Green Jelly, etc, with a Bevis and Butthead theme.
RIP Jayjay. I love you
SMF

Postby Lisa » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:40 am

SMF wrote:ICP and KISS wear make-up - The music is nothing alike.

Madonna and Wendy o Williams wore electric tape on their nipples - The music is nothing alike.

The Grateful Dead and Motley Crue both had songs about drugs - The music is nothing alike.

Point is, you can pick any band and find something another band has also done. ESPECIALLY IN THE SHOCK ROCK CATAGORY.

Lordi and GWAR may wear over the top costumes, but, if you notice, there are MANY more similarities to the old KISS costumes, check out the comparisons at www.pyromite.tk.

Music wise, Lordi and GWAR both play metal, yes, but different kinds.

Lordi is more comparable to KISS, Twisted Sister, WASP, Accept with a Freddy Kruger theme...

GWAR should be compared more to Stormtroopers of Death, Green Jelly, etc, with a Bevis and Butthead theme.

Amen to that... I LOVE GWAR, huge fan of them, have been for many years... I see WHY people compare them, they both wear costumes so it's easy to do that... but the folks who 'get it', will 'get it' and those who don't will scratch their heads and compare and contrast and try to keep saying they are ripping them off...

But there are alot of shock rock bands, costume bands, bands that use theatrics, etc... the world is big enough for all of them!!!

I mean shit, I obviously love the whole theatrical element of a live show, my other favorite bands are Lizzy Borden, W.A.S.P., and Alice Cooper... hell bring on more costumes and fun!!! :D
Lisa

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:40 pm

Til recently, didnt slipknot wear masks? but you'd never compare them to lordi or gwar. The thing is, with so many bands trying to get famous, you need to have a gimmick, something that sets you apart. Quite a few use masks or costumes, but they're still completely different
}=~M~I~M~M~={
Ade Due Demballa.
Because you can't spell Necromancer without Romance
Mad Madam Mimm

Postby Ragnor » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:56 pm

Mad Madam Mimm wrote:Til recently, didnt slipknot wear masks?

did they stop wearing masks??? that's new to me...

btw, Lordi did got compared to slipknot by some idiots during the ESC.
I can quote the belgian guy commenting during the ESC:
Bart Peeters wrote:The eurovision's slipknot
Ragnor

Postby Beauty of the beast » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:21 pm

Bart Peeters wrote:The eurovision's slipknot

Oh good god! :P .

I believe SMF wraped this up nice and tidy though.

Beauty of the beast
Ex-Moderator

Postby judge death » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:27 pm

gwar and lordi is not the same thing!
Lordi didn´t copy gwar and gwar didn´t copy lordi!
There is so many differents between lordi and gwar.
Theeee crimeee issssss lifeeeeee, theeee ssseeenteeeenceeeee isss DEATH!
I´m heeereeeee to cureeee you all from your ssssinnssssssss, I´m your ssssalvation.
judge death

Postby BulletViper » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:28 am

gwar fans are just p*ssies :roll:
mary ^_^
BulletViper

Next

Return to General discussion