Monsterboard

FFS sack the management

Talk about anything and everything LORDI-related - in English.

Moderators: Hemitys, psyanide, Nightmare Wings Hell

Postby Taliesin71 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:29 am

I'm not accusing Lordi of not working hard, but the management are obviously directing that hard work in the wrong direction.

BMG should have had the single and album in the shops within days of the Eurovision victory, and a tour close behind. Instead it was weeks for the single and from what I remember a couple of months before the album and even longer for the tour... momentum lost

A new album and european tour might have pulled them back a bit, but no.

Quite frankly the re-release of the Arockalypse is the worst marketing rip off since the last Kiss "Greatest Hits" album.

The movie is all well and good, but another distraction from the job of consolidation their position.

I'm not asking them to continuously release an album every year, but they needed to make the most of the publicity they gained, unfortunately its been squandered.
Taliesin71
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 11:35 am
Location: Rochdale, UK

Postby Taliesin71 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:34 am

SMF wrote:You seem to compare Lordi to KISS...


Yup, Lordi, Kiss, Alice Cooper, Twisted Sister, Marilyn Manson even

Not the most amazing musicians in the world, BUT some of the greatest entertainers
Taliesin71
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 11:35 am
Location: Rochdale, UK

Postby McQuade » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:39 am

Taliesin71 wrote:BMG should have had the single and album in the shops within days of the Eurovision victory, and a tour close behind. Instead it was weeks for the single and from what I remember a couple of months before the album and even longer for the tour... momentum lost


They did release it right away. If I'm not mistaken The Arockalypse was released on the 8th of June 2006 in the UK, and pretty much in every other major European country. I remember reading that Sony BMG's stock of the album was emptied out right after the victory, the album was actually sold out in many stores around Europe because they didn't have enough copies in stock, I think BMG had reportedly printed 140,000 copies in advance.
I even researched some of my first post on the forum, and sure enough, we were discussing foreign album charts, including the UK right around that time.

Taliesin71 wrote:A new album and european tour might have pulled them back a bit, but no.


Please tell us when should have Lordi released a new album? The album rose to the charts after Eurovision, after that they have been keeping busy doing all the stuff they have been able to do because of the victory and newfound success.

Right after ESC they mostly toured Finland doing gigs that were arranged before Eurovision, so they couldn't do a European tour right after.

Bringing back the balls to europe 2006 tour was officially started on the 16th of September in Sweden.

Taliesin71 wrote:The movie is all well and good, but another distraction from the job of consolidation their position.


You can't say that about Lordi, they are not a regular rock band, they are much more, like KISS. After all, they are comic book characters, and in February they will be horror movie characters too, so understandably they have a lot more things to do than an average rock band.

Taliesin71 wrote:I'm not asking them to continuously release an album every year, but they needed to make the most of the publicity they gained, unfortunately its been squandered.


What do you think they could and should have done then?

It's quite remarkable what they have been able to accomplish during the last year and a half.
Like Mr. Lordi said, they would have done it all anyway, but because of Eurovision, they were able to make it all a lot faster.
McQuade
 
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:24 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Postby SMF » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:18 am

Taliesin71 wrote:
Quite frankly the re-release of the Arockalypse is the worst marketing rip off since the last Kiss "Greatest Hits" album.


Which one? Originals, KILLERS, Chikara, Smashes Trashes Hits. Chikara, Greatest KISS, KISS: Greatest Hits, Box Set, KISS 20th Century Masters, or the new 1973 - 1998 set?
RIP Jayjay. I love you
SMF
 
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:53 am
Location: Florida

Postby Taliesin71 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:30 am

McQuade wrote:Please tell us when should have Lordi released a new album?


beginning of 2007, certainly in time for the renewed publicity at Eurovision 2007

McQuade wrote:Right after ESC they mostly toured Finland doing gigs that were arranged before Eurovision, so they couldn't do a European tour right after.


But there were plenty of gaps in the schedule that could have been used to bolster their popularity, certainly a couple of UK shows around Download wouldn't have gone amiss. As soon as it was clear that Lordi were going to ESC the publicity and tour schedule should have been in motion. Win or lose, the band were going to get a huge amount of interest.

McQuade wrote:You can't say that about Lordi, they are not a regular rock band, they are much more, like KISS. After all, they are comic book characters, and in February they will be horror movie characters too, so understandably they have a lot more things to do than an average rock band.


But then the Kiss merchandising didn't kick in until about 1978 at a point where they had consolidated their position and got themselves a worldwide fan base, before then it was the 2 albums a year and tour every venue they could get into.

Basically, you take on too many side projects too soon, everything suffers.

SMF wrote:Which one? Originals, KILLERS, Chikara, Smashes Trashes Hits. Chikara, Greatest KISS, KISS: Greatest Hits, Box Set, KISS 20th Century Masters, or the new 1973 - 1998 set?


You missed Double Platinum, but I was basically thinking of all the ones after ST&H tghat were nothing more than an excuse to wring another buck out of the fans coz there was nothing new to sell.
Taliesin71
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 11:35 am
Location: Rochdale, UK

Postby McQuade » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:45 am

Taliesin71 wrote:beginning of 2007, certainly in time for the renewed publicity at Eurovision 2007


That wouldn't have been possible since they toured most of the last half of 2006 and first half of 2007, also in 2007 the Arockalypse was released in the states and they had two tours over there. They filmed Dark Floors between June and August, so they have had a pretty tight year.
A new album would mean a lot of the time would have been spent writing songs and then recording them, after that the promotion tour would have kicked into gear.
You're saying that instead of the states promotion they should have released a new album and spend months of promoting it in europe?
I think the USA was a better idea.

Besides, that was exactly what they did in 2006, they released a new album in the beginning of the year, and spent the rest of the year to promote it, you pretty much said it was a bad idea, and now you're suggesting they should have done it in 2007 all over again?

Taliesin71 wrote:But there were plenty of gaps in the schedule that could have been used to bolster their popularity, certainly a couple of UK shows around Download wouldn't have gone amiss. As soon as it was clear that Lordi were going to ESC the publicity and tour schedule should have been in motion. Win or lose, the band were going to get a huge amount of interest.


Here are all of their gigs:

http://www.monsterdiscohell.com/index.html?sivu=keikat

Not a lot of gaps. As I said, the Finland gigs were planned before Eurovision, so they were confined to those dates and therefore couldn't tour the rest of the europe.
Obviously they planned a lot of new gigs after the victory, but it takes time and money, especially with a production like Lordi, you have two busloads of crew, you don't book a venue just like that. it takes a lot of planning and time.

Taliesin71 wrote:Basically, you take on too many side projects too soon, everything suffers.


It's always been about the whole package with them.
It wouldn't be Lordi if they released a new album every year and just toured and toured, the fans want the comic books, movies and music videos, and all those take time.

A horror movie is pretty much the best marketing or promotion platform for a band like Lordi, even though the movie is not about the band but you know what I mean.
McQuade
 
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:24 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Postby judge death » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:18 am

BMG should have had the single and album in the shops within days of the Eurovision victory, and a tour close behind. Instead it was weeks for the single and from what I remember a couple of months before the album and even longer for the tour... momentum lost

within 5 days after esc the singel was out in sweden or was it 2 weeks?
anyway the album was releashed in sweden before the esc.
Theeee crimeee issssss lifeeeeee, theeee ssseeenteeeenceeeee isss DEATH!
I´m heeereeeee to cureeee you all from your ssssinnssssssss, I´m your ssssalvation.
User avatar
judge death
 
Posts: 6270
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 10:10 am
Location: Deadworld

Postby Taliesin71 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:32 pm

McQuade wrote: That wouldn't have been possible since they toured most of the last half of 2006 and first half of 2007, also in 2007 the Arockalypse was released in the states and they had two tours over there.

A new album would mean a lot of the time would have been spent writing songs and then recording them


Look at your dates, there was 1 show between October and February, so 3 months there.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'd have thought that the writing process would be an ongoing thing rather than ignored until they were sat in the studio instruments in hand.

Only releasing the Arockalypse a year later is another blunder by the management.

McQuade wrote:You're saying that instead of the states promotion they should have released a new album and spend months of promoting it in europe?
I think the USA was a better idea.


Ozzfest was a good idea, ignoring Europe in favour of the Type O Negative tour probably wasn't (IMO)

McQuade wrote: Besides, that was exactly what they did in 2006, they released a new album in the beginning of the year, and spent the rest of the year to promote it, you pretty much said it was a bad idea, and now you're suggesting they should have done it in 2007 all over again?


I said that it wasn't something they needed to do every year, but at this point you need to build up the momentum and keep it going

McQuade wrote:
Obviously they planned a lot of new gigs after the victory, but it takes time and money, especially with a production like Lordi, you have two busloads of crew, you don't book a venue just like that. it takes a lot of planning and time.


Bad management, the whole thing stinks of, "oh gosh these guys have won ESC we need to start promoting them."

The ball should have been rolling much sooner, good management would have started booking venues the minute they were selected to represent Finland, excellent management would have started booking venues and pushing the promotion of the band the minute they decided to enter.
Taliesin71
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 11:35 am
Location: Rochdale, UK

Postby McQuade » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:17 pm

Taliesin71 wrote:
McQuade wrote: That wouldn't have been possible since they toured most of the last half of 2006 and first half of 2007, also in 2007 the Arockalypse was released in the states and they had two tours over there.

A new album would mean a lot of the time would have been spent writing songs and then recording them


Look at your dates, there was 1 show between October and February, so 3 months there.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'd have thought that the writing process would be an ongoing thing rather than ignored until they were sat in the studio instruments in hand.

Only releasing the Arockalypse a year later is another blunder by the management.

McQuade wrote:You're saying that instead of the states promotion they should have released a new album and spend months of promoting it in europe?
I think the USA was a better idea.


Ozzfest was a good idea, ignoring Europe in favour of the Type O Negative tour probably wasn't (IMO)

McQuade wrote: Besides, that was exactly what they did in 2006, they released a new album in the beginning of the year, and spent the rest of the year to promote it, you pretty much said it was a bad idea, and now you're suggesting they should have done it in 2007 all over again?


I said that it wasn't something they needed to do every year, but at this point you need to build up the momentum and keep it going

McQuade wrote:
Obviously they planned a lot of new gigs after the victory, but it takes time and money, especially with a production like Lordi, you have two busloads of crew, you don't book a venue just like that. it takes a lot of planning and time.


Bad management, the whole thing stinks of, "oh gosh these guys have won ESC we need to start promoting them."

The ball should have been rolling much sooner, good management would have started booking venues the minute they were selected to represent Finland, excellent management would have started booking venues and pushing the promotion of the band the minute they decided to enter.


three months isn't enough to record and release a decent album, releasing the Arockalypse in the states was a wise decision at that point.
The "momentum" you keep talking about wasn't really that huge after ESC, it lasted for awhile and they made good use of it, people over in USA don't know nothing about ESC, to them Lordi is a brand new band and the arockalypse was new to them back then.
"another blunder by the management"? Care to tell us why? As I said Lordi is pretty much an unknown band in the states, releasing the album a year before wouldn't have meant nothing, only the fact that they wouldn't have been able to tour europe.

During the type-o-negative tour they were concentrating on the USA instead of europe, at that point the arockalypse was over year old in europe, they had pretty much toured every venue they would and could have, to the americans instead, the album was a fairly new one, so instead of playing the old Arockalypse set in europe they played it in America.

After the next album they will once again concentrate on europe.

You keep claiming the same thing, that the management of Lordi wasn't fast enough or good enough, yet you have no idea what the management of Lordi did back then.
McQuade
 
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:24 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Postby Taliesin71 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:10 pm

McQuade wrote: three months isn't enough to record and release a decent album,


Of course it is, we're talking about a band with the ability to play live not some pop idol contestant that needs to go over each note relentlessly until they finally get it right and it can be patched into the recording.


McQuade wrote:The "momentum" you keep talking about wasn't really that huge after ESC,


No it wasn't, but it should have been, it was the management's job to capitalise and expand on it.

McQuade wrote:During the type-o-negative tour they were concentrating on the USA instead of europe, at that point the arockalypse was over year old in europe, they had pretty much toured every venue they would and could have, to the americans instead, the album was a fairly new one, so instead of playing the old Arockalypse set in europe they played it in America.


Which is exactly why I stated that there should have been a new album.

IMO, the momentum has stalled over here in Europe, and in 12 months time they will be in exactly the same rut in the States as they lose the momentum by trying to regain Europe.

The USA is a ridiculously hard market to win over, and an extremely fickle one to keep hold of. Instead of gaining one market the band are in danger of losing both.


McQuade wrote:You keep claiming the same thing, that the management of Lordi wasn't fast enough or good enough, yet you have no idea what the management of Lordi did back then.


Yup, you're right (although you probably don't have the inside knowledge either), I'm also looking at it in hindsight which makes it easy say what should have happened. But these guys are paid to look ahead and make the right choices.

I'm not convinced they have done that.
Taliesin71
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 11:35 am
Location: Rochdale, UK

Postby metalskull » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:15 pm

blah blah blah......

theyre making a film, writing songs, planning tours and getting ready to record those songs.They cant bloody do everything. In fact, the only thing theyre not doing is making music videos. But the film makes up for it.

oh yeah, these are the charts for the Arockalypse:

Charts

Austria- 11
Belgium (Flanders)- 13
Denmark- 16
Estonia- 4
Finland (over 90,000 sold)- 1
France- 98
Germany- 7
Greece- 1
Norway- 21
Poland- 64
Sweden (+30,000 sold)- 1
Switzerland- 8
United Kingdom- 100


I really wouldnt say its a bad result..... :roll: Whenever they released it, it did well
User avatar
metalskull
 
Posts: 1736
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 6:59 pm
Location: The furnace known as malta

Postby judge death » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:03 pm

The managment is dong a great work!
before esc lordi didn´t had much money so the managment could do little to make anything but after the money came in and they did a very big tour many new videos new stuff a movie more singles a very big tour in usa and japan. What can you ask for? they have done all they can and soon they will make another big tour!

trust me they are working hard with that money they have!
Theeee crimeee issssss lifeeeeee, theeee ssseeenteeeenceeeee isss DEATH!
I´m heeereeeee to cureeee you all from your ssssinnssssssss, I´m your ssssalvation.
User avatar
judge death
 
Posts: 6270
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 10:10 am
Location: Deadworld

Postby Hemitys » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:55 pm

I think they are doing great.

The Eurovision thing was a huge leap forward concerning the knowledge about the band, but it doesn't mean that they are going be a huge success in all over europe. Name one eurovision band (not Abba) who have been a major name after the competition? I can't think of any.

They are a rock band who have been working their asses off for the last 10 years which is common at this scene. They gather their audiences by doing tours here and here, slowly getting and building their name. If you get a #1 hit with your first single, surely you're going to the top and fast. But you are also going to come down fast. Rock and metal audiences are usually a lot more loyal to their favourites than the usual pop audience. Lordi doesn't have to be on the top of the charts, they just need a loyal and a true fanbase who buys their albums and comes to their shows.

For me, I have never expected that Lordi would be the biggest rock band in the world and it's okay. They are monsters and they play hard rock with growling vocals. They are not a band who entertains the wholy family but they appeal to people who like this kinda stuff, rock combined with horror. I just hope they find the potential audience and people get the point of this band. I'm not concerned if their next album doesn't sell gold in the whole Europe.
A Monster Heart Is A Hell To Tear Apart
User avatar
Hemitys
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2063
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 4:42 am

Postby supermonstar13 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:04 pm

Hemitys wrote:Name one eurovision band (not Abba) who have been a major name after the competition? I can't think of any.


I can't think either :wink:


And I believe you're right in what you're saying... :roll:
T+A
supermonstar13
 
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:22 pm
Location: Greece, F17

Postby metalskull » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:43 pm

anyway, Lordi's first album came out in 2002. they still have a chance to be mega stars in the future. I mean, its not like theyre close to pension...
User avatar
metalskull
 
Posts: 1736
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 6:59 pm
Location: The furnace known as malta

Postby SMF » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:07 am

supermonstar13 wrote:
Hemitys wrote:Name one eurovision band (not Abba) who have been a major name after the competition? I can't think of any.


I can't think either :wink:


And I believe you're right in what you're saying... :roll:

Celine Dion...

But besides that, Lordi are doing just fine. Sure, the crowd here in the states weren't too nuts about them, but all over europe there was a Lordi frenzy it seemed.

I think the mistake Aucoin did was put Lordi on Ozzfest and fuckin Bamoboozal... Some will be like "BAH! It is massive exposure yadda yadda" but the crowds didn't understand what Lordi are doing... Which, as much as I hate to say it, led to alot of "boo's".

Lordi on Ozzfest would be a good idea IF and ONLY IF there was another band similar to Lordi on the bill, like another "fun" band, but the 2007 Ozzfest was all nonsense "I'm so angwy here me rawr!" kinda bands, and those bands bring in those kinds fans, the closed minded, "let's mosh and dig up grass to show our agnst" fans.

I know alot of people who would never show their faces at Ozzfest due to the shit bands that play there. I am one of them. Now if Lordi and let's say Hammerfall, Edguy, Gamma Ray, Nightwish, etc were on the bill, those people I know will go to the festival, and those are the people that will like Lordi! That is Lordi's crowd! The Ozzfest crowd belongs to garbage like Hatebreed, Slipknot, Korn, etc... And those fuckers will cry until their pre-pubecent voices can't take no more if they don't hear the detuned and screaming mess that they listen to while circle-jerking eachother with hair-gel while watching scrambled porn on the tv.

Aucoin needs to do a bit more research on where to market his bands nowadays... Come on... Bamboozal!??!?!?
RIP Jayjay. I love you
SMF
 
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:53 am
Location: Florida

Postby Eythor » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:08 am

SMF wrote:
supermonstar13 wrote:
Hemitys wrote:Name one eurovision band (not Abba) who have been a major name after the competition? I can't think of any.


I can't think either :wink:


And I believe you're right in what you're saying... :roll:

Celine Dion...

But besides that, Lordi are doing just fine. Sure, the crowd here in the states weren't too nuts about them, but all over europe there was a Lordi frenzy it seemed.

I think the mistake Aucoin did was put Lordi on Ozzfest and fuckin Bamoboozal... Some will be like "BAH! It is massive exposure yadda yadda" but the crowds didn't understand what Lordi are doing... Which, as much as I hate to say it, led to alot of "boo's".

Lordi on Ozzfest would be a good idea IF and ONLY IF there was another band similar to Lordi on the bill, like another "fun" band, but the 2007 Ozzfest was all nonsense "I'm so angwy here me rawr!" kinda bands, and those bands bring in those kinds fans, the closed minded, "let's mosh and dig up grass to show our agnst" fans.

I know alot of people who would never show their faces at Ozzfest due to the shit bands that play there. I am one of them. Now if Lordi and let's say Hammerfall, Edguy, Gamma Ray, Nightwish, etc were on the bill, those people I know will go to the festival, and those are the people that will like Lordi! That is Lordi's crowd! The Ozzfest crowd belongs to garbage like Hatebreed, Slipknot, Korn, etc... And those fuckers will cry until their pre-pubecent voices can't take no more if they don't hear the detuned and screaming mess that they listen to while circle-jerking eachother with hair-gel while watching scrambled porn on the tv.

Aucoin needs to do a bit more research on where to market his bands nowadays... Come on... Bamboozal!??!?!?


AND AMEN TO THAT XD but i totaly agree lordi have done LOADS in the past year or so. But yeah the ozzfest was a pretty stupid tour for them they would be so much better off just touring in Europe then slowly but surely making theyre way to the top of the charts in the US.
My heaven is your hell
User avatar
Eythor
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 3:38 am
Location: Iceland

Postby KittyCat » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:17 pm

Well as an answer to the first post and alot more.
I hope you already know this but I'm gonna say it anyway.

The music industry is a big world, it's just not about the band and the management. You have to sell the band and whatever band we're talking about, it's not always that the ''customer'' will buy.
It's not the managements fault that the store won't import the albums.
It's not the managements fault that the venues want to buy bigger or maybe cheaper bands.
And managements can't force commercials into people's homes saying that they need to listen to this band.

Lordi was a huge hit at eurovision and good for the mangement and probably the band aswell, they sold alot of cds, gig tickets, merchandise after that. (And probably alot of fake t-shirt.. printer.. guys got alot of money aswell... trust me). But I bet alot of people that doesn't really listen to rock and hard rock liked them aswell since they looked cool and their song rocked, even if they didn't know what the lyrics was all about it was probably something brutal :P.

But everything that is ''popular'' for a while will fade, like here in Swede MCR was a HUGE hit last year but now they are slowly sinking and only the true fans stay put. Now everyone likes Tokio Hotel instead....
But soon people are gonna see the ''monsters'' on posters and the posters are saying ''Dark Floors, the fear is here'' and people are gonna be like ''Woow, it's those cool monsters again with a movie, man this movie is gonna kick ass!''. And then there might possibly be a hit again.
So the management is doing the right thing in my opinion.

Now I'm not one of those who is all for selling a band and not focusing on the music. I want the music but I'm movie freak and also a collector of what I am interested in. And my heart belongs to this band. So I would definitly chose a Lordi towel to a ... plain pink one. But also, people who are thinking things like ''Man, everyone is listening to my favorite band now, so I can't listen to them anymore'', those people make me sigh big time.
Image
Watch my lordi videos: http://www.youtube.com/kissemiss
User avatar
KittyCat
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:30 pm
Location: Sweden SEX/AGE:F223

Postby Lillith Duskcutter » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:07 pm

Taliesin71....
SHUT THE FUCK UP!
Lordi can't do everything all at once. Jesus. Nobody's' Perfect, but you don't have to point out all the flaws.
Lordi are working extremly hard right now. They've just filmed a new full length movie, thay are working on new songs, they are touring the world.
THEY ARE TRYING TO MAKE IT BIG! They don't need some dumbass git like you complaining about everything taht they havn't been able to do yet.
Take a chill pill and let them do their work.
Fallen One, I think it's about time that you locked this thread before an argument breaks out.
Boy? You give me a Deadache.

Image

Now known as Lillith Von Gore.
Lillith Duskcutter
 
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: A void F/18

Postby psyanide » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:14 pm

Taliesin71 had some points (even though he didn't bring them out the most polite way) and we've got some pretty decent discussion and noteworthy arguments here, at least until now. I'm not gonna lock this because every now and then there's always somebody who wants to throw in their 2 cents on this matter.
User avatar
psyanide
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1242
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 10:06 am

Postby Taliesin71 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:01 am

Lillith Duskcutter wrote:Fallen One, I think it's about time that you locked this thread before an argument breaks out.


The argument was over about a month before your little rant

We had some agreement and some disagreement, thats the beauty of internet forums.

To clarify, I'm not accusing Lordi of slacking, but my personal opinion is that the golden opportunities they gained through the ESC haven't been exploited by their management as well as they could have been.

you don't have to point out all the flaws


Someone needs to, nobody learns anything from the toadies who only tell them how wonderful they are.

Even if I'm wrong, these things need to be considered, see where improvements can be made, where they can't.
Taliesin71
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 11:35 am
Location: Rochdale, UK

Postby Lillith Duskcutter » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:12 pm

Taliesin71, ask anyone here on the forum and they will tell you that when I get pissed off, I go mad.
Stop being an uptight bastard.
I wasn't ranting. I was telling you to chill out.
Perhaps you should.
Boy? You give me a Deadache.

Image

Now known as Lillith Von Gore.
Lillith Duskcutter
 
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: A void F/18

Postby Ultimate Warrior » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:04 am

LD, chill out sweetie. You're coming across really agressive and there's no need. Nobody else has resorted to calling other people names so cool your jets. Taliesin71 is entitled to voice his opinions and he's done so extremely well. I have to say his arguments really impressed me.

However, I don't agree with your argument that the management shold've been promoting the band as soon as they entered ESC. I can see where you're coming from, but I don't think the management would've been able to. From what I gathered, it was touch and go whether Lordi would reach the finals; and I think they rode that wave of popularity after winning ESC really well, and capitalised on it really well.
I mean, they toured relentlessly, they re-released albums, which boosted them in popularity in areas which didn't release the original Arockalypse CD; and yes they have been a bit quiet with Europe as they try to tackle America, but the American scene is so harsh and brutal they had to pull out all the stops to get notice over there.
But they're bringing out a new album and a film (and like KittyCat said this will rmeind people of them and boost their popularity again); so all in all, I think they're doing pretty well for themselves.
Sneaking out on a Saturday night... Momma thinks you know wrong from right...
Ultimate Warrior
 
Posts: 1098
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:41 pm
Location: Wherever you want me to be

Postby Taliesin71 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:25 am

Ultimate Warrior wrote:However, I don't agree with your argument that the management shold've been promoting the band as soon as they entered ESC. I can see where you're coming from, but I don't think the management would've been able to.


Oh, I agree, it would have taken a huge amount of vision to start that early.

Having said that on a small scale, press packs going out to rock press all over the world saying look at this band who are crazy enough to take on the ESC could've raised awareness with little cost.

As I said, its easy for me in hindsight, the management however make their money by seeing it before it happens.
Taliesin71
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 11:35 am
Location: Rochdale, UK

Postby McQuade » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:59 am

Taliesin71 wrote:Having said that on a small scale, press packs going out to rock press all over the world saying look at this band who are crazy enough to take on the ESC could've raised awareness with little cost.


Who said they didn't do that?
If I'm not mistaken, there was a lot of buzz going around the metal and rock sites during the time, and it was partly because of the metalheads of europe that Lordi won, even though Lordi isn't exactly metal like they have said themselves, they were clearly the heaviest band in the eurovision, and many people voted for them simply to support heavy-music.

Before they won, they were cool because they were a hard rock band or a havy rock band to participate in a pop song contest, of course right after they won they became "lame" and a "pop band". But that seems to happen once you become famous, it's not cool to like a band that's not underground enough I guess.
McQuade
 
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:24 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

cron